The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

New member! (With a JDM '91 Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon, not a DSM)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intrepidor

Probationary Member
Sep 23, 2022
Greenbush, Michigan
Hello! New member here but perhaps not your typical poster as I’ve got a JDM van, not a DSM coupe (but we share the same 4G64 engines). I'm in the very beginning stages of learning to rebuild one of 3 engines I have and haven't been finding a lot of info in the usual van forums. They typically came with a 4D56 diesel so our van is a bit of an outlier. This forum is a god send as there's little information about our engines in the van forums, so looking forward to learning from y'all!

The van in question is a "1991 Mitsubishi Delica L300 Star Wagon Super Exceed" (phew!) and has been a dream van of ours for year. This was imported from Japan a couple years ago and is a really unique rig. Right-hand drive, super capable 4WD hi-lo manual transmission with LSD, built off the Prado/Montero frame. It also came with a vintage 90's entertainment system with disk changer, GPS, integrated backup camera and would randomly speak Japanese to us! It originally came with two rear captain's chairs that swiveled 360• and a rear bench that folded forward for storage or flat for sleeping. It has it's own separate climate controls for the rear cabin and some models came with a built-in Karaoke machine. Ours has the "Cristal lite" roof option which are safari-type windows in the roof that have electronically controlled black-out shades.

Pretty high tech for a 1991 vehicle. Her name is "Kaida" (loosely translated as "Little Dragon") and we can't wait to get her back on the road.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

THAT is so BADASS!!!!! I love unique things and that fits the bill perfectly. Are you planning on going with a 4g63 by chance.....?:hmm:
Welcome to the forum, I hope we can help you out with this cool little thing.....and if you want to sell it, let me know ROFL
Marty

THAT is so BADASS!!!!! I love unique things and that fits the bill perfectly. Are you planning on going with a 4g63 by chance.....?:hmm:
Welcome to the forum, I hope we can help you out with this cool little thing.....and if you want to sell it, let me know ROFL
Marty
Thanks! Yeah, we really love it and can't wait to get it back on the road. We're keeping it for now but there's a lot of these coming into the state now, so you might be able to find your own.

I'm planning on keeping it a 4G64 since that's what's already installed, and I have two extra ones. I'll be teaching myself how to rebuild one of them and already started a separate thread about that (link below).

Really glad I found this community, since these typically came with 4D56 turbo diesels so there just isn't a lot of info on the Delica forums for my van.

3 engines and a van post:

SOOOOOOOO BADASS!!!!! Love it!!!! OMG that roof!!

I just picked up a 1996 Chariot Resort Runner GT 5-Speed to add to my stable!

Come on in! You are always welcome on DSMTuners!

Love it! Haven't seen one of those before. And don't you just love JDM naming conventions? :D
All the weird naming systems were awesome, super quirky, goofy stuff!

The resort runner gt and gt-v were made 95-96, Japan only, pretty low volume of 5 speed versions.

You can find many engine/drivetrain info here. I also recommend to look for the dedicated factory wiring diagram. That would really help you to maintain the car for long!! That would probably be in Japanese but I'm sure you would be able to understand it by seeing illustrations and symbols.

You can find many engine/drivetrain info here. I also recommend to look for the dedicated factory wiring diagram. That would really help you to maintain the car for long!! That would probably be in Japanese but I'm sure you would be able to understand it by seeing illustrations and symbols.
Yeah, the Delica forums are really good about that and I even have full shop manuals in English! But very little info on the 4G64 since it wasn’t a common option. Glad I found y’all and I’m already learning a ton.

Yeah, the Delica forums are really good about that and I even have full shop manuals in English!
Yeah if the car was originally sold outside of Japan, there should be one in English. Or maybe someone made?
But very little info on the 4G64 since it wasn’t a common option. Glad I found y’all and I’m already learning a ton.
It was common. But it's just there are so many variations on Delica. You have to get the right one for yours. Is yours P24W correct?

It was common. But it's just there are so many variations on Delica. You have to get the right one for yours. Is yours P24W correct?
Yep, P24W, but brings up a good point; if I recall, my manual shows a 6-bolt engine which likely has different clearances/tolerances than a 7-bolt. I'm told it came from a Delica so might just need to find the right year manual, check here or just stick wit the 6-bolt.

The Delica could be the new postal LLV, right hand drive, 4wd, glass roof, perfect!ROFL
Right?! I've actually gotten some grins/thumbs up from rural postal workers who are stuck driving left-hand vehicle :D

It would make the COOLEST postal delivery vehicle ever!!! :thumb: (says the long time postal employee)

Yep, P24W, but brings up a good point; if I recall, my manual shows a 6-bolt engine which likely has different clearances/tolerances than a 7-bolt. I'm told it came from a Delica so might just need to find the right year manual, check here or just stick wit the 6-bolt.
I meant as for the 4g6 engine, we can help you here or you can download the factory service manual in English from many sites. But usually the dedicated circuit diagram is the one difficult to find and would be very useful for you since we can't help you much about that.

Wow! I owned a diesel Delica when I was stationed in Japan. Fabulous vehicle. Mine didn't have the roof glass, however. Thanks for the memories, and welcome to the forum!

Mannnnnn. That is bad freaking azzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wow soo cool. I wanna see more pics of this and im sure more people do too.

You should fill out a vehicle profile > http://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back