The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New member here with project car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysticstylez

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2009
Knoxville, Tennessee
Hello my fellow DSM junkies!! As you can tell, I'm new here. I recently purchased my 2nd Mitsubishi Eclipse and plan to make a project out of it. My goal is really to make a nice looking, quick Eclipse that will turn a few heads. Nothing super fancy, but I want to come up with something more original than most of what you see out there. Please keep in mind that in no way am I a professional tuner. I'm doing this on the side and piece by piece. I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism. And now for some info on my car...

I got this car for a fairly good price. The guy even gave me an extra 420a engine (which I had to drop in right away). Everything on this car was all stock and it had been repainted a primer gray, with a clear coat. Yes, the paint is peeling in some areas. Mainly the front bumper. It has a Talon front conversion and hood. I painted the interior pieces myself, put in new seats and new carpet. The interior in this car is a 9.5/10. I took .5 off because of the passenger side air bag cover is popped out a little. Other than that, it's super clean inside. I'd rate the body a 7/10 because of the paint and the driver door is a little banged up. I am a little embarrassed about my bolt-on exhaust tip. But hey, it looks better than the muffler pipe. The very next thing I plan on adding is an exhaust system. Other mods include cold air intake, euro lights and a custom grille I made. I found a mesh grille piece at Pep Boys, but it was $40!! I checked out Home Depot and found the same mesh piece for $8! I made a stencil, painted it and the thing was a perfect fit. I did have to ghetto rig it with wire ties, but you can't tell. This rig is far from finished, but is coming along nicely I'd say. Here's some pics to enjoy or thrash. Bombs away!

Attachments

• DSC00932.jpg
    DSC00932.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00936.jpg
    DSC00936.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00931.jpg
    DSC00931.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00928.jpg
    DSC00928.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00935.jpg
    DSC00935.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 266
i'm personally not a fan of the blue trim interior, lil to ricy for my taste, but it is done nicely. The car also looks extremely clean, so looks like you got a nice deal.

My question is exactly what are your goals so we can help you, nice looking and quick mean a ton of different things to different people.

i'm personally not a fan of the blue trim interior, lil to ricy for my taste, but it is done nicely. The car also looks extremely clean, so looks like you got a nice deal.

My question is exactly what are your goals so we can help you, nice looking and quick mean a ton of different things to different people.

+1 i think all the blue on the car would have to go. You can have a nice car turn heads w/o looking like a rice wagon. wow in fact the more and more i look at that car it just kills me, you turn heads but they'll be laughing, kinda like the rusty hood trend LOL. The body does look pretty clean though, i can't see any bumps/dents or anything so the car has potential to look nice, it's just up to you if you want people to laugh or say Damn that's a nice clean car

nice 2G, good luck with the project and welcome to the forums :hellyeah:

I think a great upgrade for you would be a 97 eclipse front end (bumper and headlights) then same for the rear when you get the cash, and KEEP the white paint. It's so shiny and clean :D

all prices below are "ISH" values, ie close to what you'll pay

Bumper front: 130 (or try to buy painted maybe?)
Bumper rear: 100 (same deal)
headlights: 230
paint: 120
tail lights: 30
reverse light: 20

maybe turbo spoiler and side skirts? or have I gone too far, LOL.

WoW! First I would like to state that I respect all of your comments, both positive and negative.

Fotowntalon i'm personally not a fan of the blue trim interior, lil to ricy for my taste, but it is done nicely. The car also looks extremely clean, so looks like you got a nice deal.

The blue interior trim was one of those things that I kept debating on. I can understand the color could make it seem ricey. However, I did not got over board with it. There's not a wet dash or racing seats and steering wheel or anything like that. I went for a simple look inside and that's about all I plan on doing to the interior. I may change floor mats soon.

93ETGOCART i think you should make more of it blue and carry the color to the outside. one of things i hate to see most is an exterior that doesnt match its interior

I do agree with this. As for the color of the car I'm thinking blue or silver. I'm leaning towards blue because I do like the interior and I think the chrome lights will compliment it nicely. I just hope it still emits that great looking shine, like the primer and cc does.

bmxunderground I think a great upgrade for you would be a 97 eclipse front end (bumper and headlights) then same for the rear when you get the cash, and KEEP the white paint. It's so shiny and clean

all prices below are "ISH" values, ie close to what you'll pay

Bumper front: 130 (or try to buy painted maybe?)
Bumper rear: 100 (same deal)
headlights: 230
paint: 120
tail lights: 30
reverse light: 20

maybe turbo spoiler and side skirts? or have I gone too far, LOL.

Thanks for the feedback!! No that would not be going too far. I would like the factory turbo spoiler. The one that is one piece. That would set it off nicely. And ya know, I've been thinking about the Eclipse bumper a lot lately. The more I picture it on there, the more I want it. And yes the reverse lights have turned a near yellow color. I heard that there is a way to fix that, by bleaching them(if you will) or something to that nature.

After i get some paint I most likely will loose the decals. I'm on board with that. I would probably install some very basic side skirts and some window tint. Of course wheels are a must. In this dept. I am very skeptical. I'll look through hundreds and just can't decide. And this would depend on the color I choose for the car. So, I guess you could say I'm going for a more factory look on the outside, with just a few modifications. Under the hood needs some attention. I will need to pull the engine so I can paint the bay. I hate it being a different color than the body.

I plan on making a custom box cube computer to mount in the trunk area. Equipped with the latest technology, putting it on-line with an air card and connecting it to a dash panel lcd. I want to turn the cup holder into a touch panel mouse pad and design a touch screen interface which would control many options within the car. Music, gps, dvd, etc. Before anyone says that I can't, just know that I am a programmer with 13 years experience. This is something that should set my car apart from many others.

On a last note I would like to say thanks for the feedback and a very good day to all of you.

So yesterday was my birthday and my girlfriend got me the best present ever!

Cat-back exhaust made with custom pipes! It has a noticeable increase in performance and believe me when I say that this thing sounds mean! It has a nice deep, throaty sound. This is my first exhaust on any car and I must say that I am enjoying it. Headers are next!:sneaky:

Attachments

• cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 153
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 160
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 154
Hey there! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna paint the factory center tail light piece the same color as the body and see how it looks. But i'll keep the left and right lights. I just repainted the interior pieces with textured gun metal and they look FABULOUS! I'll get some pics up soon. I'm working on de-ricing this bad boy. It's gonna look great after i get some fresh paint. I want a 97 eclipse front conversion and turbo spoiler. That's pretty much it. I want that factory look with a demon under the hood. It's gonna take a lot of hard work and I'm up for the challenge.:pray:

For the Outside - Lower 2 inches, get some nice wheels, and remove the euro taillights and stickers. Maybe a carbon fiber hood.

Inside - I would personally remove the blue pieces. Just having a super clean interior that is mostly stock will turn a lot of heads.

Engine - Just go pretty basic. Full intake with full exhaust. Usually repainting a valve cover will look extremely nice. After that a basic engine dress up kit should be sufficient.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back