The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

New member and my DSM story

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behnam

Proven Member
Apr 15, 2020
Fredrikstad, Europe
Really had no interest or didn’t even know about this whole dsm thing as i live in Norway and there really aren’t many dsm vehicles up here. I was a huge car fan but mostly into Mercedes and old Toyota's had a E280 cdi and a KE70 before. After i crashed my Mercedes I was looking for a new car I was mostly looking for a old Toyota or a Miata something not many people had. One day while scrolling through Facebook marketplace I saw this one ad named "car" literally no information of what this was or nothing like that this was a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse. The asked price was 50 000 Nok about 5000 Usd so I try to read myself on the car what I should look for and what type of engines it has ect. I read through a few vin decoders that it was a “RS” I didn’t really know much about any other types so I thought it might be good. When I go and look at the car it had no rust and had pretty good paint for being 23 years old ofc there was some paint damages but nothing big. He tells me that he had done a engine swap and a brake upgrading kit. Anyways I bought it for 4000$ and when I do more research on this car I find out that it had a 4g63T engine 16g turbo, KW Coilovers with Brembo brakes in the front and gto brakes on the rear 3” straight pipe from the turbo. I really fell inlove with this car and this is how I got introduced to the DSM family

Welcome, be sure to update with pictures and check all the maintenance as the last thing we want is for a new owner to come in loving these then have an issue when its not check.

we hope you enjoy it here with the vast amount of information we hold

G'day from Down Under..., sounds like you got the makings of a fun car! Check the ECU to see if its been chipped with ECMLink, if not definitely purchase it, because these engines need management. Good luck!

Question I’m gonna buy a rs normal from this one lady on offer app and I’m kinda thinking if I should buy or not did my research found its pretty slow from the rest but by changing for a better motor and adding turbo make it faster and have more hp I’m new to this dsm but ever since I saw the models I fell in love with the car and planning to get one

Last edited:
Question I’m gonna buy a rs normal from this one lady on offer app and I’m kinda thinking if I should buy or not did my research found its pretty slow from the rest but by changing for a better motor and adding turbo make it faster and have more hp I’m new to this dsm but ever since I say the models I fell in love
Motor swap is INVOLVED for the RS and GS trim level. ECU, Wiring harness, the list is endless. You may want to look for a GST, or GSX with a good motor and bad interior, and buy an RS or GS for the interior and exterior to swap. Buy 2 cars to make one!

Motor swap is INVOLVED for the RS and GS trim level. ECU, Wiring harness, the list is endless. You may want to look for a GST, or GSX with a good motor and bad interior, and buy an RS or GS for the interior and exterior to swap. Buy 2 cars to make one!
the thing is im just starting on all of this and by where i live near fort worth and dallas all ive found has been an RS eclipse , ACURA RSX PORSCHE 924 370Z AND 350Z SOME HONDAS AND TIBURON AND SOME PORSCHE BOXERS and some other nice pretty sure modded eclipses but the owners have not replied probably due to deleting the app or it has been sold conclusion to what you replied i might do that but since i just started working what i expected was to buy the rs and just buy a new motor and so on

What is it you like about the Eclipse? The body style? or performance?

For performance - The Eclipse/Talon is not the only option.
A variant of the Turbo engine in the GST and GSX is also available in the AWD 4 door Lancer Evolution (not the base model lancer) which has REALLY good aluminum sub frame components.

For body style, 2G Eclipse is kind of unique, and as you have seen, Mitsubishi RS, GS, GST, and GSX flavors are out there, as well as the Eagle Talon.

(just curious)

the thing is im just starting on all of this and by where i live near fort worth and dallas all ive found has been an RS eclipse , ACURA RSX PORSCHE 924 370Z AND 350Z SOME HONDAS AND TIBURON AND SOME PORSCHE BOXERS and some other nice pretty sure modded eclipses but the owners have not replied probably due to deleting the app or it has been sold conclusion to what you replied i might do that but since i just started working what i expected was to buy the rs and just buy a new motor and so on
If you're not mechanically inclined, or have no experience swapping motors and doing extensive fabrication, it would be pretty overwhelming and very expensive. Hell, even starting with a factory turbo powerplant is going to require a good amount of technical knowledge and money to maintain and make faster.

Be sure to read through the Resources section on this site to get started with the learning process:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/pages/resources/

What is it you like about the Eclipse? The body style? or performance?

For performance - The Eclipse/Talon is not the only option.
A variant of the Turbo engine in the GST and GSX is also available in the AWD 4 door Lancer Evolution (not the base model lancer) which has REALLY good aluminum sub frame components.

For body style, 2G Eclipse is kind of unique, and as you have seen, Mitsubishi RS, GS, GST, and GSX flavors are out there, as well as the Eagle Talon.

(just curious)
Well I for sure want it to be fast from start to end and also want it to look tuned yk not like imma be doing races but yeah I’ll be fun if I line up in a light with like 2010-2020 cars and just smoking them

Well I for sure want it to be fast from start to end and also want it to look tuned yk not like imma be doing races but yeah I’ll be fun if I line up in a light with like 2010-2020 cars and just smoking them

DSM's have a reputation for being one of the most difficult vehicles to keep alive - constant projects - vacuous money pits. There are none of these produced since 1999. The EVO became available to carry on the 4G63 power plant in the US up until 2015 when it ended. We all love them but even Evo's are exotic projects now. Mitsubishi is a shell of what it used to be. Dealer parts are limited to what's left on hand. When they are working well - they go like hell, but if you ask around - the age of these things keeps them off the road more than on.

If you are looking for that kind of challenge - Welcome to the club!

Not to be a downer on DSM, but if I were starting out today, looking for a performance car - I'd look at a manufacture that's still selling cars in the US with ample parts supply so that 20 years from now when I want to restore it - I'd have someone to talk to and parts to find.

(IMO)

Last edited:
DSM's have a reputation for being one of the most difficult vehicles to keep alive - constant projects - vacuous money pits. There are none of these produced since 1999. The EVO became available to carry on the 4G63 power plant in the US up until 2015 when it ended. We all love them but even Evo's are exotic projects now. Mitsubishi is a shell of what it used to be. Dealer parts are limited to what's left on hand. When they are working well - they go like hell, but if you ask around - the age of these things keeps them off the road more than on.

If you are looking for that kind of challenge - Welcome to the club!

Not to be a downer on DSM, but if I were starting out today, looking for a performance car - I'd look at a manufacture that's still selling cars in the US with ample parts supply so that 20 years from now when I want to restore it - I'd have someone to talk to and parts to find.

(IMO)
Wow that was very well put my friend.

Really had no interest or didn’t even know about this whole dsm thing as i live in Norway and there really aren’t many dsm vehicles up here. I was a huge car fan but mostly into Mercedes and old Toyota's had a E280 cdi and a KE70 before. After i crashed my Mercedes I was looking for a new car I was mostly looking for a old Toyota or a Miata something not many people had. One day while scrolling through Facebook marketplace I saw this one ad named "car" literally no information of what this was or nothing like that this was a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse. The asked price was 50 000 Nok about 5000 Usd so I try to read myself on the car what I should look for and what type of engines it has ect. I read through a few vin decoders that it was a “RS” I didn’t really know much about any other types so I thought it might be good. When I go and look at the car it had no rust and had pretty good paint for being 23 years old ofc there was some paint damages but nothing big. He tells me that he had done a engine swap and a brake upgrading kit. Anyways I bought it for 4000$ and when I do more research on this car I find out that it had a 4g63T engine 16g turbo, KW Coilovers with Brembo brakes in the front and gto brakes on the rear 3” straight pipe from the turbo. I really fell inlove with this car and this is how I got introduced to the DSM family
Welcome to the forum i myself am pretty new but i had my first exp with the RS 420a engine. I went DSM, then Integra type-R, then srt4, now back to my favorite DSM once again. People here are very passionate about their DSM projects/hobby and if you don't know "it" someone here does for sure. Look forward to seeing some build updates good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back