1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

New Main Page Recent Activity Feedback

Posted by TSiAWD666, Jun 1, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    Personally I'm really hating the new layout of the Recent Activity section. Hard to read and looks like a jumbled mess of barely differentiated text. Looks to follow the Microsoft paradigm of trying to use font size to provide visual separation and functional cues but just doesn't work.

Road Race Build 14K  12  371

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    377 whp · 416 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Seconded

Street Build 4K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Appreciate the work into the site, but was it really supposed to come out like this? It is very difficult to read through.

Street Build 4K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. teamevolution2

teamevolution2 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2009
    Leesville, Louisiana
    Agreed

Street Build 946  6

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I also find the new recent activities frustrating to follow & prefered the home page, recent discussion much better.

6. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Me too, i thought it was a quick fix to get the site up and running again! But it seems not, its aweful to read and i dont know whats recent or not really, its a mess now,
    @Ludachris please fix this and i come to the site to check threads and i cannot do that so i leave the page now, its hard to do and find things as sesrch dont work, previous oosts dont work, and my classifieds dont work!

Please go back to how it was last! It was much nicer and clearer

Road Race Build 8K  10  51

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  7. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Maybe this was because your trying ro make the webpage load faster, but honestly its made the home screen harder to read, its less organised now, the slught delay loading was not an issue for me, itnwas not that long anyway and i liked seeing new photos uploaded,

8. josh408

josh408 Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I agree, I like the old layout alot better, I log on to see recent posts and find out most of them are from the same thread. I do notice the website loads faster. But would definitely sacrifice the speed for the old layout.

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.935 @ 118.24 · 2G DSM
  9. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Guys, Chris was dealing with a distributed denial of service attack on the site. I don't think the layout is as intended but the site is back up, thanks to him. Someone was trying to take down the site and it's not always a quick fix to get it operational again.
    Just some info on what was/is going on, if I got the info right.
    I thought maybe I should share some of what I know. I am just being patient and hope we all can be grateful of the work to get us all back together.
    Marty

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

528  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

446  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 642  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  10. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    Oh wow. Guess I didn’t think it could have been something as melicous as that. Thank you for sharing.

Street Build 4K  12

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    The old home page is still available. Under the DSMTuners logo click the little house icon & select "Home".

12. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    A few different issues are being worked on surrounding page load times...

1. I found out that the plugin used to display the homepage causes pretty heavy load on the server, which slows down the site for everyone - even those not browsing the homepage. So I've been looking for a new solution to ditch that plugin to help improve the server load. The Recent Activity page is essentially a live updated version of the same content as the homepage. So I've been trying to modify that page to act as the homepage.

If you guys are willing to help me design it out, I'd be happy to try and implement that feedback, so long as it's not "put it back to the way it was".

2. The DDoS attacks. That is unrelated to the new homepage layout. But it's been hurting the server.

3. The server cache configuration is being updated to help with page load times. You might come across some server 500 errors due to this, and if you do, please post about it here.

4. The server crashed recently, likely due to a backup disk getting too full and maybe even the DDoS attacks, and it broke the search after the reboot. I'm working on fixing the search. Sorry about that.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  13. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Funny, I thought it looked like a jumbled mess before, so I tried to improve how each row looked to help organize each update. So, let me ask you for specifics - are you saying the row for each update now looks like a jumbled mess? Or the page as a whole? Did having the text in each update all one size make it easier to read before? Instead of having a headline type format?

This isn't really a Microsoft paradigm as much as it is a web design standard.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

14. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Oh, and another question - how are all of you browsing the site? Phones or desktop machines?

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

15. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    personally for me having the old way again with just the most recent thread replied to in bold was fine,

now i see the last few threads and whos posted even listing what they say in there and 2 or 3 can of replied then all those involved are listed in the main page? and now it covers up the main page with that.
    that to me is messy and horrible to view on the home screen,

it needs to be neater and less clutter and almost more basic as it once was! just the most recent threads replied to will be fine and it made it a whole lot clearer, my eyes currently dont know whats going on or where to look at so i now tent to go wondering where as before the home screen was nice i would could out the replys to the threads.

has any of this attack and changes part of why i cannot do searches and check my previous posts/classified? alot of stuff is not working right recently so not sure if its part of the same issue site wide or not.

anyway those are my views, sorry if its blunt LOL but to me the home section is more cluttered now then before and bring back the pics LOL the few seconds delay was perfectly fine

16. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    both for me and both look the same either or

17. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Hey Bobby, read my reply in post #12, as it covers some of your comments/questions.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

18. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    while not going back to the way for obvious reasons if we could just get rid off the multiple people replys to the same thread and what they said would be alot nicer and simplified.

i dont need to know what everyone said in the home screen and if i do then i click on the thread to view it, so this is the only thing that should be better off how it was previously,

howabout starting again the dsm of the month along side the sales pitches uptop or even at the bottom to use some space up?

or is it possible to have custom screens for each person with top 5 threads watched or following or something for quick links or is that over complicated due to the uniqueness of each person?

19. LNS_325

LNS_325 Freelancer

Joined Jul 31, 2011
    Sycamore, Ohio
    I use both laptop (MacBook Pro, and a chrome book, as well as an iPhone. Not seeing and 500 server errors, but on all three devices when using the search bar it has been saying “DSMTuners-Error” then below it says “The search could not be completed. Please try again later.” It has been saying this for a few days through three different ISP’s not sure if this is relevant here or not but seems like an issue that I don’t think is on my end.

141  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  20. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    like this, i dont need to see all these replys on the home screen fro 1 thread! just the basic bold lettering on the thread title will be perfectly fine as before,

i know this will eave excess space but for now less is more for me on this dsmtuners.png

21. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Gotcha. The nature of the Recent Activity page (which is what is being used as the homepage at the moment) is to show all of that information for each individual update, and it updates live, which is pretty cool. To change the way it displays that info for each row would be a ton of work, and in some cases I can't customize what gets displayed.

If people don't like what gets displayed on the Recent Activity page, another option I have available is, instead of using the Recent Activity page as the homepage, I could use the What's New page, which would resemble the old homepage a little more closely. Here is the page:
    https://www.dsmtuners.com/find-new/threads

I would make that page the homepage and add the Vendor Updates and site announcements up above it like I did with the Recent Activity page, and then strip all that out of the Recent Activity page. Here's the caveat though - if I use one page or the other, it would mean that page would then be transformed to look more like a homepage, with Vendor updates and site announcements up top, like the Recent Activity page has now. So if you go to the What's New page you will then be shown the new homepage. I'd actually be using one of those pages, not creating a new page that just looks like one of them.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

22. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Working on that issue. I was more asking for browser info based on the look of the Recent Activity page (which is being used as the homepage).

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

23. LNS_325

LNS_325 Freelancer

Joined Jul 31, 2011
    Sycamore, Ohio
    Yeah absolutely, I wasn’t too sure since it was part of the homepage layout. The page layout of most mobile devices is really stripped to simplify the layout and I see no issue with the new layout. It’s different from what I remember of the old main page but change is good. As far as a desktop layout it seems simple and to the point, but I wasn’t on tuners for quite a while and quite honestly can’t fully remember the older main page layout. So from not a full time regular I don’t mind the new layout.

141  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  24. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    +1 for this option. It's great to see each individual reply on the 'recent activity' page, but for the Home page I agree it's too much clutter.

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  25. 95REGF150

95REGF150 Proven Member

Joined Mar 7, 2012
    Elk Grove, California
    Personally I have and probably will always use the New Posts option when browsing the site. It shows me quickly what threads I haven't looked at that someone has replied to.

I agree with the comments above, I have never used the recent activity page as it has too much info with the content of the thread and multiple posts from various threads. I need the thread title, if I want to read the thread I will open it.

Since I always use the New Posts page anyway I hadn't even noticed a difference in anything when the site went back up. Thank you Chris for all that you do!

Street Build 2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM