The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New looking for advice on 2G eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allstar_119

Probationary Member
May 7, 2016
Mpls, Minnesota
Thought this might be a good place to get some advice on my options for a new summer project car. My top pick is a 97 Gsx with 73k miles it's a diamond in the rough but needs a crank position sensor. Or I can get a 96 gsx the engine has been built up but exterior needs work. And has a rebuilt engine and trans sitting at 126k but rebuilds took place 4K miles ago. Also the first option is perfect but I would be doing all engine mods myself.

Id go for the low mileage one. Or the one with the least mods/abuse. Crank sensor is easy plus you should do a timing job anyways so knock it all out at once. Your better off doing all the mods yourself. This way you know what's done and get more hands on with the car. The only plus with the 96 is possible getting a EPROM ecu. Any clue who did the rebuilds? ;) post some more info and pics of the cars.

No idea who did the rebuild. All receipts are available for all the work done. My only concern with the lower mileage on is I basically have to take his word that that is all that's wrong with it. Considering the mileage though and on the research I've done there really shouldn't be any major problems yet.

Either way I would do a compression test and take a scanner to check codes. Depends on the price and who did the rebuild. Kinda wonder why the rebuild one is being sold already? Why would you pay for a trans and motor rebuild then sell after only 4K miles, seems odd.

His reason on the post is he's getting into off-roading so he's selling one project to start another

Well just make sure you ask for everything and look over it. Let us know who did the rebuild and we can tell you if they are legit. Figure out which one will be the least work/headache to fix. I'd personally rather fix a engine than deal with body work and paint. But that's just me ;) are they both on stock turbos and fuel setups?

I think my plan is going to be the 73k one with a near perfect body and interior.

Question I want to know is why does it need a crank position sensor? The most common cause is likely damage ftom crank thrust clearance wich means motor rebuild.

And back to square one. I'm really wary about buying one of these in the first place. I want one that I can at least enjoy for this summer without any major breakdowns.

Oh also both my finalists are automatics. I know it's weird but in general I prefer automatic. I'm kind of a lazy driver that way.

Question I want to know is why does it need a crank position sensor? The most common cause is likely damage ftom crank thrust clearance wich means motor rebuild.

This was my thinking too when I read the original post.

Allstar_119, if you are unsure about troubleshooting these cars, I would advise looking for one that actually runs/drives vs won't start. It's worth it to not jump on one unless you are 100% sure it is what you are looking for.

This was my thinking too when I read the original post.

Allstar_119, if you are unsure about troubleshooting these cars, I would advise looking for one that actually runs/drives vs won't start. It's worth it to not jump on one unless you are 100% sure it is what you are looking for.
This is an excellent point. Will I buy one that doesnt run? Sure. Would I advise a newbie to do so? No way.

Well here's my deal. I can buy this one for $3k have my family mechanic fix the sensor for $100 and be on my way with the cleanest gsx for sale in the region. Or spend and additional $1200 buy a already modded one that just needs paint job and some very easy body work. To me it's worth the risk especially if it's something I can test out before buying to ensure there isn't a major underlying issue that caused the sensor to break.

Well here's my deal. I can buy this one for $3k have my family mechanic fix the sensor for $100 and be on my way with the cleanest gsx for sale in the region. Or spend and additional $1200 buy a already modded one that just needs paint job and some very easy body work. To me it's worth the risk especially if it's something I can test out before buying to ensure there isn't a major underlying issue that caused the sensor to break.

Throwing a $100 sensor on the motor and it running perfect afterwards is a best case scenario, but not a guarantee. You will want to go and check the play of the crank to be sure the motor doesn't have crankwalk, which could have caused the sensor to go out. If the motor actually crankwalked, it will need to be replaced.

I've read up on crank walk. It seems that it's highly unlikely because it's auto but none the less I will have it completely inspected. Is there any sort of "field test" that I can do to check for this sort of thing on site? Or does it take someone with experience working on these cars.

Grab the crank pulley and push/pull. The spec is only a few thousandths. If you feel it move it's bad.

BTW if you don't feel it move that does not mean it's good....just means it might be fine. You probably can't feel say .015 but that's also bad and maybe bad enough to take out a sensor.

Just because the other car is running, doesn't mean it doesn't have an issue, or three. If you have a family mechanic that can professionally test each car, pay him to do it before your purchase.

You've got members here in MN to put some eyes on it too, if you want a second opinion.

Patience will pay off.

Just my two cents: We bought a modified car that ended up having hidden electrical problems. Bought it for $1500 and have put an easy $4k in it trying to get it to run right and for more than one month at a time. It's probably a better idea to heavily scope out the stock car with a crank sensor, take your family mechanic with you for absolute sure so there's two sets of eyes on the car looking for minor and major problems.

Thanks everyone. I'm closing in on purchasing this car. I thought I would copy paste his description. "Don't really want to get rid of the car but need the room. Car does run but misses due to needing a crank shaft position sensor and I just don't have the time to fix it. You won't find a cleaner car for this price just needs a little work.. Car is a Florida car".

Any thoughts?

We can't really give an assessment of the deal without seeing pictures and knowing what all has been done on it regarding mods and maintenance.

Also, have you gotten a chance to see the car in person yet and checked to see if there was any crankshaft play?

No I have not unfortunately the car is located 3.5 hours away I will not be making multiple trips to go check it out. I am planning to drive up there within the next 10 days to buy it and my family mechanic cannot come with but had given me a list of a few things to look for and my uncle who is somewhat knowledgable with cars will be coming.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back