The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Logs edit: dip gone, 2 more logs today

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaktheripper

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Cincy, Ohio
I got everything put on my car. I was tuning it today, and I couldn't get it to run good. On our last pull of the night we decided to set it at the settings Road Race Engineering had for a car with my exact mods. We logged it, and this is what we got.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I didn't have a chance to run another logged, but I added between 2-4% on the S-AFC where the timing was really low or just a little low. It got dark so I didn't wanna take it back out for another run, but my real question is does anyone know what's happening at around 5.8k rpm? It all of the sudden decides to dip back down, but I didn't let off, and nothing felt unusual or anything. Thanks for your insight guys.

p.s. The log is Time / Rpm / Timing Advance / O2 Sensor, if you couldn't tell.

I would try not to read too much into it. I have logs where rpms inadvertently drop a couple hundred rpms. Data transfer is a mofo. Log with different software, and see what you get. When my shit acts up, I switch from pocketlogger to mmcd. Try that if you can.

Yeah, it's just wierd though. Across my S-AFC it's like -20 or close to it, then all the sudden the timing drops, but the S-AFC is set the same there as everywhere else.

I added a few % across the band, like 4 where it's really low and 2 other places. I'm taking it for a log tomorrow so I'll post the results (if it doesn't snow, that is)

he needs to add fuel even on the low end. His time is being pulled bad (knock) ..Ideally you want around (no less than) 15degrees advance (maybe slightly more) at WOT.

Well it should pull back to about 10 when I hit full boost considering I have a 2g, then increase at a steady curve until redline. That's what is wierd, even though my S-AFC was set basically the same across the rpm range it starts increasing (even though it's still too low, I know) but then takes a dive again at 5800. In a couple hours I'll be doing another log, and I'll see what adding a few percent did.

Ok, I just got done doing 2 more logs. Here's the first one(added 3-4 percent from previous log^).

It looks much better than the first one, but still not completely good timing. So I figure "Timing still being pulled, add more gas." So I add 2-4 percent again, 2 in places with higher timing, and 4 in places with lower timing. This is the result,

It looks to me like adding that extra couple percent pulled timing even more. This doesn't make sense, does it?

I took away a couple percent in most places, so it's basically only 1-2 percent richer than it was the first log in my last post. I wanted to datalog it, but it was raining on my way home so I couldn't.

are you just suppose to add a 1 or 2 percent at a time on the afc?

you were much better with the fuel setting on the second log. the good points you have going for you. On the 3rd log your over all too rich, but have a couple of RPM points were you have upto 3 degres more timing the the previous. i'd compare the 3 and ajust the fuel to accomidate the highest timming advancement you've logged.

I did another log today, it turned out decent compared to the last one. I'll get my S-AFC settings posted here later if that will help anyone help me. I have to go to work now, though, so it won't be posted till later. Here's the log, by the way...

One possible solution I though up is the guy that had the car before me said the S-AFC was set by Buschur racing. I was looking through the "Defenative Tuning Guide" tech artcile and it was saying how to set the long term fuel trim with the lo-setting. I haven't even messed with those, could that be affecting my timing at WOT if they are off now?

Here's what my S-AFC was set at for the last log.
1k=-18 / 2k=-20 / 3k=-21 / 4k=-17 / 5k=-18 / 6k=-15 / 7k=-14 / 8k=-16
After this log I added 1% at 6, 7, and 8 k. I didn't want to add too much as last time that messed up my timing even worse.

Try get your timing as close to 15deg without going under...thats were the most power is..once you get under 15 its pulling timing hardcore and robbin Horsepower

Also if those where WOT logs then you have some fixing to do with your TPS and Throttle cable

I know I need it to go above 15 degrees, what I'm asking for is advice on doing that. Usually people just say richen it up, but when it was richer it was running even worse.

The Long term fuel trim on my Pocketlogger says 2.0 at idle. Could this be interering with my WOT timing?

lets see a 3rd gear pull at WOT with RPM ,Timing, 02 and Knock

DragGSX said:
lets see a 3rd gear pull at WOT with RPM ,Timing, 02 and Knock

2g's can't log knock unless dsmlink or a standalone is equipped. Timing is what he really needs to concentrate on. It's hard to tell if you have any other dips because your logger is only logging points every ~300 rpm. See if you can get a couple more logging points by taking off the o2 voltage (doesnt do much help with tuning).

On a side note, the last couple of logs don't look too terribly bad. Considering that you don't have a front mount (didn't see one in your mod list) and you're running 19 psi on a clipped b16g those logs actually look quite decent. Don't expect to completely tune out those dips in timing while on the stock sidemount at that boost. With a clipped b16g at 19psi on pump gas you're just asking for heat soak. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back