The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

new jack stands

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
in light of the harbor freight jackstand recall I did some research and came up with these. My new torin 3 ton double locking stands.

Attachments

• 20200611_105247.jpg
    20200611_105247.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 137
Moved this to the Hangout since it wasn't really an article Paul.

I had some Pittsburgh aluminum jack stands that I bought when I was tracking the 1g years ago. Easier to pack up for track events. Not sure if they were the same ones in the recall or not, but I never really felt great about them, so I tossed them in the garbage the other day. I realized that I'd always use one of my other sets anyway. No sense in keeping them and having them take up space - nor selling them to someone else and potentially put them in danger.

Id like to know what other people are using. There are actually articles onlne about the different models. Oddly many brands look similar if not identical except price. I did notice some of the more expensive models they said the base was made in China but its assembled in USA so I'm thinking the cast piece (more important) was made in USA.

Surprised nobody has chimed in. I'm a little apprehensive after the harbor freight recall. Oddly I've probably put cars up and down 100s if not 1000s if times on my same ratcheting jackstands but suddently I'm uneasy. I always put a wheel under the car also. I may retire all my old stands and switch everything

I've been happy with my HF aluminum jack, but I never felt good about buying their jack stands. All of my stands came from Northern tool. I paid more for the them, but I felt the quality was better and they have a key that you can insert to lock the stand in place. So even if you hit the lever to collapse the stand, it won't fall.

I never got any harbor freight jack stands although I was tempted on a few occasions. All my jackstands are oldschool with pins and even then I still throw a wheel under the side. Actually just had my volvo on jackstands a few weeks ago and we had an earthquake hit. 6 point something. Even though the car didn't fall, I was happy that the wheels under the car would have saved the rotors. You just never know!

Think Summit Racing, Jegs or some of our own supporting vendors may sell some good jack stands right? I will be looking to replace my harbor freight ones as well

Our "Princess Auto", like Harbor Freight
Canadian Tire..

whatever gets the car up and looks like it holds. I can imagine how shitty a product like a jackstand must have been produced for it to fail. I have done all sorts of crazy shit to cheap jack stands and they dont even bend.

20 bucks for a pair of 2 or 2.5ton, always work for me.

Thats if I use a set at all. Most of the time I keep it on a "Certified" (brand, us canadians know it) hydraulic jack LOL

I guess I'll be in the minority here but I had my car on harbor freight Jack stands for 3 years while I did the Awd swap, Manual swap, built the motor trans etc and never once had an issue still to this day I have the same ones and I'll continue to use them. They are over 8 years old so definitely not part of the recall maybe one day I'll get some nicer ones but until then :idontknow:

I guess I'll be in the minority here but I had my car on harbor freight Jack stands for 3 years while I did the Awd swap, Manual swap, built the motor trans etc and never once had an issue still to this day I have the same ones and I'll continue to use them. They are over 8 years old so definitely not part of the recall maybe one day I'll get some nicer ones but until then :idontknow:
I’d probably do the same if the ones I had weren’t aluminum.

For what its worth. I have used craftsman, harborfreight, duralast, and some yellow company. My grey harbor freight ones. I use all the time. Literally there is a car constantly on them. I have not had any issue with them. However, I have had two craftsman stands fail. One the seam weld area bent. The other the leg caved in. When the leg caved in, luckily I wasn't under the car. I was working on a exhaust and happen to get up to get something, and the car fell. I am so glad to be here today. The HF jack stands are still my favorite today.

A little off topic. But all HF. We own 3 jacks, 2 bottle jacks, and engine hoist. Not trying to shame HF as a company as I own plenty of their products and keep going back for more since all there hand tools are lifetime warranty and close by. I have their older low profile jack. Got in 2011, it started to leak and goes down ever so slowly. Always use jack stands. The Jack that came on the hoist, lasted 1 engine pull, 1 month, but after some hassle, I called the customer repair, they sent me a new jack without question. But still put me down for some time. This is just my personal experience with their jacks.

Even more off topic, HF new Icon line. I have already broke 1 ratchet and two ratchet wrenches. Its only been 6 months since I got them. Yes I abuse the tools a bit much. However, I have only broke 3 craftsman tools since 2011.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back