The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

new hobby - DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheboatguyTN

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2023
Belvidere, Tennessee
Hey all, my name is Zac, I just purchased my first DSM. it's a 1997 GS-T. guy I bought it from didn't know much about it as he only had it for a month.. looks like she may have a few lightly tasteful goodies on it. Plan on pulling it into the shop tomorrow and going through everything. what's some good pointers to start with, potential issue, etc. I've read about vacuum issues. but what's the best spark plug everyone recommends, oil, etc. I plan on building this car in what I would say is "the right way" no cutting corners, just having a stout good car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Try and post a profile with mods to the best of yiur ability. Post pics and we can visually identify some things. If this guy only owned it a month be wary. Lots if things to check and make sure are done correctly and/or there isn't hidden damage undisclosed.

Try and post a profile with mods to the best of yiur ability. Post pics and we can visually identify some things. If this guy only owned it a month be wary. Lots if things to check and make sure are done correctly and/or there isn't hidden damage undisclosed.
That’s exactly what I’m going to do tomorrow. Check turbo. Check vaccumm. Suspension. Etc. I’ll also post as many pics as I can.

Report on how the car runs. Problems etc. You sound like you have some skill and a shop?
I’ve driven the car now for about 75 miles. Anything from back roads to interstate. So far everything pretty much checks out. Do have a slight vibration between 60-75mph. Kind of feels like front passenger side. I’m a 15 year marine technician and currently own a boat dealership where pretty much every employee is into cars. So we’re always messing around with something. Today we’re going to really dig into it and see if we can find anything. I’ll report back with a list we find for sure.

I’ve driven the car now for about 75 miles. Anything from back roads to interstate. So far everything pretty much checks out. Do have a slight vibration between 60-75mph. Kind of feels like front passenger side. I’m a 15 year marine technician and currently own a boat dealership where pretty much every employee is into cars. So we’re always messing around with something. Today we’re going to really dig into it and see if we can find anything. I’ll report back with a list we find for sure.
Perfect. The references here are a product of 30 plus years of research. For the most part all common problems are well known and documented. There is nothing we haven't seen. Even after 30 years I still think these cars are some of the highest bang for buck cars ever made and even if you spend a lot people have grossly outperformed cars double and triple the price. I guess that's why we're still here.

alright guys, for starters, the struts in engine bay had about 1/4" gap between the bottomed out nut and the washer. ive added some spacers under them and retightened them up without pulling it out of the shop, I can already tell by pushing down on the front of the car its much stiffer. check plugs, they are new, but were gapped for a non turbo car so I re-gapped them. 3 piping clamps were loose, tightened them up. battery ground cable was loose, and also the ground wire that goes to the fire wall, (about 1.5' long cable) was relocated to a different spot on the firewall, but right over paint. ground that down and reconnected, not sure if it will help with anything or not but couldn't hurt to make right. couple other little things, dip stick is broken off of stick. etc. I noticed the throttle body has JB Weld on it. this is what I'd like to do right away. new header (I like the style with the turbo mounted on top if possible) new turbo. new radiator (been told by going with bigger turbo and different header, they make a smaller radiator for more room?). new piping kit, new waste gate, new BOV, new intake manifold, assuming probably need a new throttle body being there's no telling why it has jb weld on it. battery relocation kit. and a coolant reservoir. currently, they're using a Gatorade bottle. I'm also uploading a brief description of what the previous owner (one who had it for a month) sent me. also another question, keeping in mind when upgrading everything, the tube going from BOV to intake, when buying everything new, do i have to go with another bypass hose or whatever its called?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back