The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New here , new project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junglejim23

Supporting Member
Jun 14, 2020
Billings, Montana
Hello everyone ,
My name is Ben I just rescued a 95 Talon tsi awd from a life slowly rotting away and being cannibalized in a neighbors yard. It's missing a few things and needs some fresh paint and interior but it's straight. I owned a 1g GST in my early 20's and absolutely enjoyed the heck out of it ! Unfortunately somebody in Mexico decided they liked it better then I did and helped them selves to it. So now 20+ years later I get another shot at a DSM.

I know I have my work cut out for me but with the help of this community I know I can do it.

Welcome! I have a similar experience with a GST in my early 20s, had a blast, then traded in on an SUV cuz of marriage and kids....but I should have kept the car...it would have lasted longer than the marriage LOL...now the kids are off to college and I picked up my 98 GST a few months back. Hope you like wrenching on cars...these things are a little damanding of your time and detailed attention... But worth it!

Welcome! I have a similar experience with a GST in my early 20s, had a blast, then traded in on an SUV cuz of marriage and kids....but I should have kept the car...it would have lasted longer than the marriage LOL...now the kids are off to college and I picked up my 98 GST a few months back. Hope you like wrenching on cars...these things are a little damanding of your time and detailed attention... But worth it!
I love wrenching even have a buddy that owns a local shop so I can normally squeeze in to his lifts after hours. The hard part is figuring out exactly what I want to do with this great blank canvas

I'm new to the site as well but no stranger to DSM vehicles ive owned 4. I was in way to big a hurry in my youth and messed up lot's of stuff on my old ones. These are definitely a patient person's car. There are lots of good people here to help you. Congratulations on your new DSM and good luck on the restoration.

I'm new to the site as well but no stranger to DSM vehicles ive owned 4. I was in way to big a hurry in my youth and messed up lot's of stuff on my old ones. These are definitely a patient person's car. There are lots of good people here to help you. Congratulations on your new DSM and good luck on the restoration.
^^^ I second this ^^^
I can't comprehend how much money and time I have wasted because I was rushing.

Yeah I'm under no time constraints and want this to be a quality build that will last. Maybe my kids will own it someday ?
So first order of business is going to tear down the engine bay and take inventory.
Major missing parts are a problem.
Known missing are :
1, exhaust manifold
2, turbo and all components
3, no exhaust at all
4, Cam's & can gears
5, cam caps I only have 4 of them
6, intake manifold has been butchered

Looks like I'm going to be looking for a complete head
And turbo setup.

I suppose that can be a blessing in disguise as I can really tailor the valve train and turbo setup. That being said I'm open to suggestions for sure !

Welcome! My local group of dsm guys have most of what you will be looking for once you get a more complete idea of the parts you all need. I know we have stock turbos and plumbing, Stock exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, Cams and gears, No complete head just complete motors.

Welcome! My local group of dsm guys have most of what you will be looking for once you get a more complete idea of the parts you all need. I know we have stock turbos and plumbing, Stock exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, Cams and gears, No complete head just complete motors.

That's much appreciated, I'm looking into seeing if it possible to purchase replacement parts for the head and have caps honed or if I really just need to buy a head.
Going to pull engine tear down and take to machinist for a check up. Previous owner threw a rod cylinder walls look like they can be cleaned up. But if the block is no good I'll just be looking for a complete engine

Yeah I'm under no time constraints and want this to be a quality build that will last. Maybe my kids will own it someday ?
So first order of business is going to tear down the engine bay and take inventory.
Major missing parts are a problem.
Known missing are :
1, exhaust manifold
2, turbo and all components
3, no exhaust at all
4, Cam's & can gears
5, cam caps I only have 4 of them
6, intake manifold has been butchered

Looks like I'm going to be looking for a complete head
And turbo setup.

I suppose that can be a blessing in disguise as I can really tailor the valve train and turbo setup. That being said I'm open to suggestions for sure !
I could help you out with an intake manifold, got plenty of OEM spares if you're interested.

Can anyone give me an idea what might be going on here ? This is the cam position sensor my new project. It's obviously done poorly but any idea why it was done?

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_201512.jpg
    IMG_20200620_201512.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200620_201455.jpg
    IMG_20200620_201455.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 64
Why would someone use the older sensor ?

I believe the CAS is usually changed to have an adjustable timing, usually to advance it a little more...the stock CAS from a 1995 is actually the 2g non adjustable type. I was mistaken earlier when I said it was a black top CAS for your 95 car. My earlier post has been edited.
The black top CAS are from 1993-1994, Hall effect type. They are adjustable. The one in your photo is a green top CAS from 1990 optical type.. it is also adjustable. It was probably a mod the previous owner was doing.
I understand that this mod on a 1995 may also require a fuel injector firing order swap... Might want to look further into it. Or just go back to the stock 2g CAS. I have an extra one if you need it. It's from a 2g, stock fixed type.

Last edited:
Also possible the PO used it for a 6 bolt swap, or using a 6 bolt head on a 7 bolt block.
That brings about an interesting question is there an easy way to see if the head is a 6 bolt type or a 7 bolt I have it pulled off the car as it was not bolted on when I received it. It's missing a cam and cam gear and most of the cam caps

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back