The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Head Build - I have a Few Questions - Please Read -

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Napster

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 18, 2007
Pocahontas, Arkansas
Ok so I got my head back from the shop today, the original head had been decked and they took way to much off. So today i got it home and I'm about to put it back together and have a couple of questions.

1. Do these have to be in any special order, I noticed letters and number on them so I'm not sure if they go in a specific order.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2. Having the same problem with these, I'm just new to this so bare with me please. Also is there a torque spec on these?

The pieces in the second picture are the cam bearing caps. They hold the camshafts in. There should be two sets of them. 6 in each set, 12 all together. One set should be numbered I-1, I-2, I-3, etc. and the other set should be numbered E-1, E-2, E-3, etc. "I" is for intake, and "E" is for exhaust. So the ones with the "I" on them go on the side of the head with the intake manifold, and the ones with the "E" go on the exhaust manifold side of the head. The caps with the number 1 on them go on the timing belt side of the head. They should have a lip on them where the cam seal goes, and they only go on one way. The rest go in numerical order back toward the transmission side of the head. Make sure all the letters and numbers are facing the same way. The biggest ones with the arrows on them go on the transmission side end of the head. The arrows should point toward the timing belt. The torque specs on the cam caps are 168 inch-pounds. not foot-pounds ft-lbs.) The pieces in the first picture are the rocker arms. I'm sorry to say but, that I know of there isn't a specific order for them. You should have marked their position before you took them out of the head. Maybe someone else can chime in here and there is a specific order to put them in. If I wasn't clear enough just let me know and I can draw you a picture of how the cam caps go into place. Head looks good btw. Good luck!

Ya, I feel like a goober for not numbering everything. Either way i just took this pick of how i understood you, please correct me if I'm wrong... Feel free to use paint :thumb:

Bingo! Everything looks good, except turn the caps in the middle("I" 2-5 and "E" 2-5) so the arrows you marked in red face outward(toward the intake and exhaust manifolds). That way all the numbers and letters face the same way. I'm pretty sure you got the end ones with the big arrows right. Basically the one with the lip on it goes where the CAS(cam angle sensor) is.

Awesome got them right now, Thanks Only2G4Me. Okay so now if i could figure out the rocker arms.

Anyone know if the rocker arms go in any specific order???

No problem man. Happy to help. As far as the rocker arms go...I mean honestly they are all the same part. The reason you need to put them back in the same order they came apart is because they kinda wear into that place. They get "accustom" to being there you could say. I'm not sure if they have a specific order or not. I searched around but couldn't find anything. Maybe someone here will be able to shed some light on it. Also if you haven't done it already, it's a good idea to bleed your lifters before you install them and start the engine. This is a good DIY thread on how to do that http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck with the rest of the install!

thanks man i forgot all about bleeding those. also should i sit the cams in a certain way?

Um...just set them in the head and put the cam caps on top. Tighten the bolts hand tight first then torque them down with your torque wrench. Tighten them down from the outsides of the head in to the middle. Like I-1 then the one with the big arrow, then I-2 then I-5...like that. Make sure you put assembly lube on the cam lobes, and the bearing surfaces in the head and caps where they're gonna touch the cams. The cam with the notches in the end is the one the CAS fits into. Goes on the intake side of the head I believe. The lifters go in first, then the rocker arms, then the cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back