The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Guy, No Start, Not another one...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLivingston

Probationary Member
Aug 24, 2016
Manhattan, Kansas
Hi Everyone,
Recently picked up a None running 95 GSX. The guy I got it from said he was just driving down the road when the car sputtered a little, "sort of backfired" whatever that means, died, and hasn't started again since. The engine turns over. I checked for spark and got nothing. Checked for voltage at the back of the coil packs and got nothing. A friend who isn't physically present to help me suggested the ignition control module. I was wondering if there is a way to test it, and what else I should check to rule anything else out first. I have completely read the "No Start" Thread that goes through the whole spiel of diagnosis. And not having voltage at the coils is where I am stumped. I am extremely excited about getting this car running. I have owned nothing but Dodges and Jeeps prior to trading my old XJ for this Eclipse. I've always wanted a "Rally Car". And now I finally have one. Hope to learn as much as possible from the members here, and ill try not to be a nuisance. Also, does this website support the AutoGuide App? Thanks!

Thank you!! Ive been Googling and Searching constantly for the last three days in a row. There is so much information out there for these cars, it is difficult to find exactly what you need if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Have to read 5 different posts just to learn one thing. I printed off the How To Test Transistor post and will do it after work. BUT!! where do I proceed if it comes back being fine?

Last edited:
Thank you!! Ive been Googling and Searching constantly for the last three days in a row. There is so much information out there for these cars, it is difficult to find exactly what you need if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. Have to read 5 different posts just to learn one thing. I printed off the How To Test Transistor post and will do it after work. BUT!! where do I proceed if it comes back being fine?
Yes there is a place. The factory service manual.

Of course there are always those select people who need to be a smart ass on every forum. Why do forums exist? So people can stare at blank pages of questions never asked and problems never solved? Not everyone has every FSM for every vehicle ever made. Thanks for your help.

Post #2 in particular for your case:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-diagnose-a-no-start.217951/

On a side note: I assume you have fuel and timing as well?

I am actually not 100% on that. I figured Spark was the easiest place to start. And since I have none, I was trying to continue figuring out why.

Of course there are always those select people who need to be a smart ass on every forum. Why do forums exist? So people can stare at blank pages of questions never asked and problems never solved? Not everyone has every FSM for every vehicle ever made. Thanks for your help.
Not that I disagree with you, but as you've probably realized by now searching often leads to dead threads and misinformation. The FSM can be downloaded for free, and will save you many many hours of your life fixing the problem instead of searching for the answer from less reliable sources.

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. But even now when I have a problem it's the first place I go. I only go to forums if the fsm doesn't solve the problem. On systems diagnosis fsm is the best resource. Forums are better for mods etc as the fsm doesn't cover that.

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. But even now when I have a problem it's the first place I go. I only go to forums if the fsm doesn't solve the problem. On systems diagnosis fsm is the best resource. Forums are better for mods etc as the fsm doesn't cover that.

Completely agree! When I get a new car, an FSM is the first purchase.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Forums have pretty much been my FSMs for over a decade. Typically people like being helpful. And I try not to beat a dead horse and do research first. Mods I usually have never resorted to forums for. I like custom stuff, or trying things most will not. So forums usually just turn into an opinion farm at that point to me. But it IS awesome when you have so many people in one place that you sometimes don't even have to finish a sentence and someone already knows the answer. Ya know?

Half of the ignition module failed, I guess? Very annoying to hold three wires in a small area with these fat fingers. But, I went ahead and ordered a new one. Won't be here till Monday. None of my local parts stores carries them. Why is it that I've read of people having their car run on only two cylinders? Maybe my coil packs are bad too... Ugh.

Just making sure I didn't do this wrong, but. When I did the Transistor test, the only time the light bulb came on was after the last step. If a transistor is bad, would it come on when you have the wires connected where it says the bulb should not come on? Unless I missed it, it doesn't say anything about this. Or is it literally just, If the bulb doesn't come on either time, its bad. I don't know if im making sense.

Hi Everyone,
Recently picked up a None running 95 GSX. The guy I got it from said he was just driving down the road when the car sputtered a little, "sort of backfired" whatever that means, died, and hasn't started again since. The engine turns over. I checked for spark and got nothing. Checked for voltage at the back of the coil packs and got nothing. A friend who isn't physically present to help me suggested the ignition control module. I was wondering if there is a way to test it, and what else I should check to rule anything else out first. I have completely read the "No Start" Thread that goes through the whole spiel of diagnosis. And not having voltage at the coils is where I am stumped. I am extremely excited about getting this car running. I have owned nothing but Dodges and Jeeps prior to trading my old XJ for this Eclipse. I've always wanted a "Rally Car". And now I finally have one. Hope to learn as much as possible from the members here, and ill try not to be a nuisance. Also, does this website support the AutoGuide App? Thanks!
You said you checked power to coil pack and tested none but did you check continuity? Possible brake in the wiring before that point causing you to receive no power?

K, so here's where I am at. Turns out the car jumped timing. Blah blah. Replaced valves. Got it all back together. Started it. Ran for 10/15 minutes. Idle seemed really high. When it seemed to start warming up, it started bogging and the CEL came on. I turned it off. A week later it doesn't want to run at all. Plugs out of # 1 and 2 keep coming out black as hell. IF it fires it definitely sounds like it's only running on 2 cylinders and then dies. Opening the throttle does nothing, except maybe make it stall faster. I don't get how it goes from starting and running just fine first try, not running at all. I'm sad.

Sounds like the timing is off.
I recently had the same issue and it turned out to be timing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back