The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New guy from tucson Buying 92 TSI AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azosian

Probationary Member
Jun 5, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
Howdy my names Andrew I currently live in Tucson AZ and have been in the drifting scene for some time now. Anyways my time sideways is coming to a end and I would like to get into the AWD turbo 4g63 fun. I used to have a 1995 Mitsubishi mighty max with a 4g63 turbo 6 bolt and I loved it to death until it was stolen and totaled. But now I'm here and looking to get back into it. I am currently in the middle of a possible trade for my FC for a 1992 TSI AWD with 100k miles and a 16g turbo (small I believe). If anyone could shoot me some possible things to look for or look out for when I look at the car would be greatly appreciated. I will be looking through the forum I'm sure this topic has already been covered. If the trade goes through I'm sure ill get to know a lot of you guys a whole lot more.

Remember lots of maintainance. Just do it when you buy it if the guy doesn't know last time he oils and fluids been changed. Also timing belt and oil and water pumps.

Also I'm up in Phx if you come this way often.

Check for blue smoke from the tailpipe.Worn valve stem seals would cause this along with worn piston rings.Also check for smoke under acceleration or scraping noise when boosting.This will give you an idea of the turbos condition.

Check for white smoke so you could get an idea if its burning coolant.Check for signs of coolant in the oil.Look for recently installed thermostat or radiator.People might have changed these trying to solve a overheating issue.

Listen to the engine when first turned on.Any noises are cause for concern(well you might hear the lifter tick but which 1g doesnt have that?)

If you can,check out the exhaust manifold and look for cracks

You might also want to check the clutch pedal for any freeplay and if so,you might want to rebuild your pedal assembly(Like me,LOL)

Other than that just look at common issues just like any other car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back