The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Gsx shell what do you guys think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I recently came across a 97 eclipse gsx red pearl, original paint, 83,000 on the shell. Clean titile no RUST! Said he recently replaced all tires and new turbo. Din't say much more than that. I noticed the rims and that its lowered. Not sure if it has any other mods but I figured I'd go look because its so close and hes only asking 1000! :hellyeah:

There is a catch though unfortunatley its an auto and it has a spun rod bearing in a 6 bolt block. The good news is I'm in the middle of building a pretty soild 6bolt block and 2g head. Plus I have a 2g TSI that I can pull all the shifter parts from including new master cylinder and slave and lines. Plus mint interior out of my 98 talon and a few other things "mods in my profile."

I'll just need the Shep stage 2 transLOL and manual driveshaft because I guess there different? I still have to do a little more research on the swap but I'm thinking this will work out great! Plus I can rebuild the whole car and do it right!

Anyway enough rambling lmk what you guys think!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good from what i can tell. You need the manual trans, transfer case, driveshaft, and rear in order to swap to manual. Might be better if you leave it auto though. Auto = stays in boost between shifts

I thought about that but man I love shifting LOL. I was considering Runing the auto until I got all the parts together but I'd really like to just knock it all out at once. What we talking for a decent stock drivetrain a grand? Then I can sell the stock auto parts. Eitherway I think for the south this is a rare find and the extra work to me for a clean shell isn't a problem.

Yea no kidding. I bet there are probably more gsxs in florida than ga. Here, for every gsx, there are probly 15 gsts. I think there is one gsx on cl right now and its heavily modded with a hefty price

Yea no kidding. I bet there are probably more gsxs in florida than ga. Here, for every gsx, there are probly 15 gsts. I think there is one gsx on cl right now and its heavily modded with a hefty price
Same way here! I look in Georgia and a few other southern states frequently too. There is one up now for way to much like usual.
you should keep it auto. If you don't want it, Ill go get it.
I might give the auto a chance, did some reading last night and I was pretty impressed to say the least!
If anything else ride it out until I can afford a shep stage 3 5 speed.

What would be the cheapest most effective mod for the auto trans? Shift kit?

EDIT:

Kid backed out, I'm looking at an even nicer one now but its out of my price range at the moment with this motor build going on :( Man I had my hopes up on that one I was sure it was the one!

Last edited:
I'm supposed to be lookin at it tomorrow, kid called me back up for first dibs so we will see.

What's the most you guys would pay for a clean 2gb awd 5 speed with a spun rod bearing?

I ended up passing, it was just to sketchy for me.. The kid just hung up and never called back the first time I talked to him LOL...

On a positive note I think I finally found one, hopefully picking it up soon! I'll post more pics when I do and likely be starting a build thread.

Picked one up yesterday, 97 eclipse gsx 5 speed. It needs some work but I finally found one:)

Sweet, how much did you end up paying?

Also, pics. Because internet.

Not the best pics but you get the idea:sneaky: There's quite a bit of work to do but I'm ready to start!
Here's a list of mods that where on the car
-AEM FPR
-900cc FIC injectors
-DSMLINK v2.5
-Laptop and Chord
-Boost gauge I forget the brand but it looks nice
-FMIC
-1g BOV
-EVO 3 16g
-FULL 3" exhaust with MagnaFlow Muffler
-Its definitely lowered but I don't know any info
The bad is it needs a new hood, bumper, and has a small spot of rust on the back quarter inside by the hatch. The first thing is to take care of that while the motors being built. This current motor spun a bearing from getting to hot according to the previous owner. This things been sitting a couple months, these pics are to compare when its done, his gloves are even still in the back seat LOL.. I paid 2300 for it, he was asking 3. Let me know what you guys think:hmm:

Attachments

• DSC03269.jpg
    DSC03269.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03273.jpg
    DSC03273.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03287.jpg
    DSC03287.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC03286.jpg
    DSC03286.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03288.jpg
    DSC03288.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03272.jpg
    DSC03272.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC03279.jpg
    DSC03279.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03291.jpg
    DSC03291.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC03295.jpg
    DSC03295.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 31
Good eye!:D I forgot to add those.

I'm going to start swapping some parts today. I'll be starting a build thread soon I just want to get a good start and a lot of pics before I do!! More pics coming soon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back