The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

New from MN

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-127

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2011
WestCentral, Minnesota
New DSM owner here. I recently purchased a 91 Eclipse GSX with about 142k, basically stock from my brother. I'm primarily a Ford diesel truck guy but the fuel prices have pushed me a bit to a little more fuel economy friendly, but yet fun to drive DSM as a commuter. My first work involved some Redline fluids for the Trans, T-case, and rear diff. I'm a college student and took the car to class this week.

Just the past few days the car has been having a progressively higher idle when warm, and a dropping max boost. Initially I had thought that I was having a vacuum/boost leak so I made up a boost leak tester today and gave it a whirl. The TB shaft seals are definitely out, that seemed to be the only leak I found. I capped off the emissions lines off of the TB at the same time. I can't imagine the TB shaft leak is enough to cause my high idle, since when cold it seems fine. I also started looking at other possibilities since I'd have to wait for seals to show up anyway. Of the list of possibilites, I thought coolant temperature sensor would be a likely culprit, but one additional bit of info from someone might help. Does anyone know if the computer limits max power output on a cold engine? It might explain my lower than normal boost as well. Either way, I'll probably pick up the sensor and give it a try tomorrow.

Side note: I do some of my own tuning for 7.3L diesels, I know fuel can be added only at certain engine temps if desired on that engine, so that's how I came up with that idea.

Glad to be here!

Welcome. I lived in Rochester and White Bear Lake before I enlisted and got stuck in this armpit

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome.

Thought I post a follow-up for anyone who may have read about my problem, even if I should have asked about it elsewhere. The day after I had posted I had some time to check out the car a bit. The issue was in the throttle cable being too tight, which I was finding hard to believe at the time, but I guess there is a reason it is mentioned so many times. My diagnosis finally came from driving the car around until it was acting up, checking under the hood, and closing the throttle by hand a bit and I could tame the idle. Adjusted the throttle cable to give some extra slack and the issue is gone. TB seals are on the way since that's still a known issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back