The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

New dyno results!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had a chance to run your new setup? Following your thread & gotta ask...
Hi Steve, thanks for asking.

Yes, I ran the new setup at the track last month. I only got two passes. The first pass was just a shakedown run, I slowly rolled off the line, gently shifted into second gear, then punched it! I went full throttle in second gear, did a quick shift into third, held full throttle to the top of third gear then shut it down. Despite the soft launch it still went 108 MPH in the 1/8th!
The second pass was better, the weather was cold and the track had no traction.
2.1 60' with much wheelspin
1/8th no data :(
1/4 10.77 @ 145.799
Def making some power, def not hooking up.

At the turnaround point the car did something weird, I felt the rear tires skip and hop a little. It felt like a welded center diff! But it was short and quick I checked the driveline in the pits but everything seemed normal, all 4 tires could be rotated independently as best as I could tell, so I packed up and drove it home. The trans also started making a gear whine noise in first gear. The next day I checked the trans fluid and found fine metal dust mixed in. Something's not right. So I pulled the trans and inspected it, found slight damage in several areas and one piece that stood out like a sore thumb.
:notgood:
The center diff spider gears had locked up and seized on the shaft. Two of the gears had seized so bad they could only rotate 1/4 turn and they would not slide off the cross shaft. They're supposed to spin freely. I compared the blown center diff to a good stock diff that I had sitting on the shelf, and I also compared it to an old Shep 4 spider diff from my last trans. Side by side it was clear where my new supposedly 'Unbreakable' 4 spider diff had failed. It didn't break, so yeah it's 'unbreakable', but the lack of attention to proper oiling is what killed it with only 2 months of use. I'm not naming any names yet since the warranty on this part is still in dispute.

For the sake of comparison, my previous 4 spider center diff was a Shep center diff. It lasted almost ten years. I looked up the receipt from Shep, I had his diff in the car since November 2003. It held up to dozens of drag races per year with numerous 1.4 to 1.6 60' times, withstood frequent wheelhop, burnouts and over 25 thousand miles of daily driving. It held up to dozens of ten second passes. It was the diff that carried me to the 14b record and nearly got the 16G record on it.

OTOH The new supposedly 'unbreakable' cross shaft blew out in less than
2 months with only two dyno sessions and 3 launches, and one of those
launches was on street tires in the rain! In my opinion the new diff major weakness is that it can't handle big power and front/rear wheel speed differences at the same time.
Like I said, I'm still exchanging emails with the guys who made the diff, I have no idea how this is going to end up. I really hope I don't end up with a $1100 paperweight!

Did you ship out the diff housing??? I still have a worry that the housing is not perfectly square, hence the spider gear failure.

I shipped out my spare diff to Shep this morning.
Guess what showed up in my mailbox when I got home this evening?
Tim, you really need to work on your communication. I had no idea you sent out the parts.
Thank you for sending the parts. I'm going to check fitment very closely and report the results to you. I also took several pics of the diff housing to help you see what's going on.

I shipped out my spare diff to Shep this morning.
Guess what showed up in my mailbox when I got home this evening?
Tim, you really need to work on your communication. I had no idea you sent out the parts.
Thank you for sending the parts. I'm going to check fitment very closely and report the results to you. I also took several pics of the diff housing to help you see what's going on.

Dude, I had a second kid, I am a bit busy. I closed up shop for a couple weeks after I gave you the shipping info for getting the diff housing sent over to Beyond Redline to get checked for squareness. They didn't replace the cross shaft due to the side loading that happened to your spider gears, so that was completely out of my pocket. I was waiting for weeks from them for an answer if they were going to cover it, and then they wanted the housing to check it out.

Sorry I couldn't get more info earlier, you could have also messaged me here too. I have been going over 90hr/week before I took the break for our new baby.

If I had known the parts were already on the way my reply 5 posts up might have sounded a little different.
There was no lack of communication on my part, I clearly asked you for progress updates several times. You never told me the parts were on the way. You eventually came through with the warranty parts, and I thank you for that. Now it's time to move forward and put my car together.

Last edited:
Awesome :thumb: There is nothing like going to the dyno and exceeding expectations! I hope to do the same here is a month or so;) .
Great news! I put my car on the dyno today to see how the new mods and tuning were doing. Here's the dyno chart:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yep, 597 AWHP on a Mustang dyno! I wanted to push it over 600, but it just wouldn't do it. I was at the limit of the MAP sensor at 36 to 37 psi of boost, at the limit of the 1000cc injectors at 100% DC, at the limit of the Walbro 255HP pump as seen by the lean area above 6000rpm.
I had no idea the car was making that much power. Seriously I though it would put down around 425 to 450 since that's about what it put down last year. All I changed since last time was a 2G head with EVO3 intake manifold and Kelford 272 cams with some nice Kiggly Beehive springs to back it up. I used to have a 1G head with a JMF SMIM and FP2 cams. Oh, and I replaced the 3 bar MAP sensor with an Omnipower 4 bar MAP sensor, so I was able to raise the boost from 28 psi to 37. I should've known it was making a lot more power when it started spinning all 4 tires in second gear during my pre-dyno tuning sessions! I mean I was literally getting sideways in second gear on dry straight roads in warm 65* weather.

Just for fun I turned the boost down to 29 psi to see how much power it was making compared to the 444 AWHP it made last year at 27psi boost. Here's the result:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I made 89 more HP with gains at every rpm! The boost might be one or two psi higher, but it's still a large gain at nearly the same boost. I'd also like to say that I didn't touch the tune when I turned the boost down, I just unscrewed the Hallman MBC a couple turns and did one pull at that boost, so I'm very happy with my tuning software.

Mods
Custom Jackal program
GT35 journal bearing turbo
ETS fmic 31 x 12 x 3.5"
3" uicp
full 3" exhaust
2G head
EVO3 intake manifold
Kelford 272 cams
Kiggly Beehive springs
Supertech valves, standard size
Wiseco 9.0 pistons
Eagle rods
I did all the work on this car, tuned it and built it.
I may be forgetting something, just ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back