The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New DSM'er 98 GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgarza

Proven Member
Mar 9, 2013
Raleigh, North_Carolina
I just aquired a 1998 GST with 108,000k, rebuilt at 74k. The car has the typical things going for it, cheap blitz body kit, massive 19" Firelli wheels, lambo doors., normal rice. It did however have a little bit of a build up done by original owner. Here is a list of what was on the car when I got it.

Safc 2
Greddy Profec B e.b.c.
GT Concepts Evo 3 GT 16g
Greddy Type S b.o.v.
XSPower 24" x 12" x 3" FMIC (core size)
2.5" steel IC Piping
K&N 3" Filter
RC Racing 660cc injectors
Wahlbro 255
Ultra lite Pro Comp Boost, Oil Press, AFR gauges
A'pexi N1 3" exhaust w/o cat
HKS 90 sec timer
Blitz Body Kit
19" Firelli's wrapped in various rubber
VIS Evo CF Hood (badly damaged finish, orid owner buffed with wax machine):ohdamn:
Supposedly it has BC internals but I haven't verified yet
Also was told balancing shafts where removed on rebuild
Eibach 1" Lowering Springs
Lambo Doors
DES Remote Start and Alarm

The car was not maintaining idle and ran a little rich. The guy was tired of messing with it so I figured I would take it off his hands :thumb: Got it home found the safc had been reset and after a quick run through the car fired right up and maintained a 800 rpm. It did however lose power and surge after boost unless you feathered the gas. Since I am not a turbo or a DSM guy, I decided to do some research. Everything seemed to point to maf, boost leak, yada yada. Also the clutch was starting to slip. This led me to where I am now. I have spent the last 7-8 months reading and learning about this car and let me tell ya, my wife knows more about the 2g then most of the people here now :D I have been purchasing and plotting, now its time:hellyeah: This car will not be a daily driver just a weekend cruiser and occasional thrusday night test and tune at the track. Im looking to achieve about 300-350 fwhp respectively. I will try to update as soon as something is completed and I am still learning so I appreciate the help in advance LOL. Enjoy the build and feel free to chime in with pointers or critique. Below is a list of purchased parts, not future buys but things in my possession.

Fluidyne 2 row alum radiator
MSD coil pack
MSD 8.5mm wires
NGK plugs
Mishimoto S-Line FMIC ( 23" x 11" x 3" core, black powder coat)
2.5" IC Pipe (black powder coat)
2.5" J-pipe ( custom made by me welded and black powder coat)
Rebuilt turbo with M.H.I. Internals ( I rebuilt, G Pop did balance)
FP 18psi WGA
NGR diaphram for type s (original had a tear)
Innovate MTX-l (shipped today)
18g billett comp wheel on 16g turbine (also balance by G Pop)
M.H.I. hotside Ported and Polished with 34mm stainless flapper (machined locally)
Cleaned and powder coated gt concepts housing (unless anyone wants to donate true tdo5 :pray:)
RC Racing 660cc machine cleaned by local shop
GM MAF (not sure if I will need it, looking to run 18-20 psi, will stock maf handle?)
Bonehead Racing SS Braided oil feed anc return lines
Ported and Polished stock o2 housing
Prothane motor and tranny mounts (black)
Stainless exhaust mani (stocker had crack, found at local swap meet not sure of brand)
Heat wrap for header
ACT 600165 flywheel
XTD Stage 4 clutch (6 Puck Unsprung)
Oil pan (existing was beat up pretty badly)
Various Vacuum and coolant hoses
DNA Motorsports Front strut bar (anodized black and red)
Team Arospeed 18x8" GT-RS Wheels
BFGoodrich Eagle GT Z rated
Replacement oem Speed Sensor (stock was broke)
Stock Tranny Rebuild
Optima Red Top
Various hardware and gaskets
Evoscan (for logging)

The more and more I get into this the more I want DSMLink :sneaky:
I wasn't looking to have a monster of a car but I don't want to pay local shops here $400-$600 for Dyno and tuning. Would like to have complete control of tune. Not quite ready to purchase yet still reading all I can before I attempt. I have TONS of questions on the DSMLink LOL so be prepared guys. Well onto the build.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Maintenance first and foremost, which you've got covered. Most of us on here aren't into the aftermarket body kits, lambo doors, and huge wheels (18s aren't too bad) but if thats your style, then go with it. You mentioned that you'd like to see 250-300 rwhp? Are you planning to make it rear wheel drive?

Post some pictures of the beast!

The stalling is likely cause from the blow off valve venting to the atmosphere. Do a quick search on "venting bov" and see if that fits your symptoms.

I have read a lot of threads about rebuilding the GT Concepts Evo 3 GT with Heavy Industries internals. Maybe I missed it but I never found the thread that verified this 100%. So to those unlucky and lucky few who ended up with a DSM with this setup, here ya go.... This was accomplished with the G Pop TD05 Super Back Rebuild Kit #Z49178-81210.

Birdseye of the comp wheel

Remove the compressor wheel nut with a 10mm 12 point socket. *This is a left hand thread* If you do not pay attention to this you will break/bend the shaft. Carefully remove wheel and shaft to expose the seal plate and snap ring and remove the heat shield from the hot side.

Use a snap ring tool and remove ring. I found the easiest way to remove the seal plate was through the oil return hole. You are replacing the plate anyway so insert small flat head and tap around lip of inner seal plate until it pops out. You will now see the oil cover and thrust bearing.

Remove the thrust bearing assembly and separate thrust ring by "walking" off the piston ring. Now remove the o-ring for seal plate.

Now you can remove the journal bearings and remaing snap rings. Here is a parts comparison. The only thing I noticed was different with the kit and original parts was the M.H.I. journal bearing oiler holes were smaller then originals. Not sure why but hey if mitsu is fine with it me too:thumb: Install is reverse order making sure to use a quality lube and you can't use too much. The pictures show it without the balance being done. If you choose to not have it rebalanced atleast use a scribe or paint pen and mark the relationships of shaft, wheels, housing. However most local shops will do this for less then $80. I sent mine off to G Pop Shop who I purchased kit from. Also clean the bejesus out of your cartridge. I used Brake Clean and saturated all parts for 24 hours in oil before rebuild. I took a wire wheel and right angled drill to the hot side to clean off carbon build up. Now would also be the time to do any porting or polishing if you wanted. *I did find a crack in the wastegate port and opted to replace with a used true m.h.i. cartridge I also had a local machine shop port the new waste gate hole, hot side port and had them machine a 34mm stainless flapper for me. Cost me $20 but I serviced their A/C :sneaky::sneaky:

When I get out of the probationary member deal I will upload to the site for future reference. Also I attached an exploded diagram from G Pop. Always helps.

TD05Evo.jpg

#1 Journal Bearings
#2 Retaining rings for journal bearings
#3 Piston ring, turbine end
#5 O-ring for compressor housing
#6 Thrust Ring
#7 Thrust Bearing
#8 O-ring for seal plate
#9 Thrust Collar
#10 Oil Deflector
#11 Piston ring, compressor end
#12 Seal Plate
#13 Retaining ring for seal plate
#14 Left-hand thread locknut for compressor wheel
* Oil drain gasket (not shown in diagram)

So I have spent a good bit of time and money on this car so far so when it came to the fans, both work so I'm not replacing. I decided to clean them up and paint them to match my new scheme (black/red). Here are a few mock up pics. Tomorrow I will hit the local nuts n bolts store and grab some new ss hardware. Also I am gonna cut off old sheathing and replace with black high temp loom, and when I get around to it I will make a new alum cover for the one. Maybe this will be a good time to break out some CF and make some custom fan frames :hmm: Everything in the engine bay is painted with VHT 2000* Primer, Paint, and Clear.

Come on man, you didn't even mask off the wires before you spraypainted the plastic fans?

Here's a few pictures of the tranny rebuild/cleanup. I did an oem rebuild on the tranny and installed a ACT 600165 forged steel flywheel (11.9 lbs), and a XTD Stage 4 6 puck unsprung clutch. New oem slave and master cylinder, new throw out, fork was not shimmed (sat dead center). Not sure exactly why :hmm: but I chose to do a black and red theme in the bay, guess I was thinking DSM colors? Anyway all parts were stripped, cleaned, 2x primer, 2x paint, 2x clear (VHT 2000*f). Not all of the engine bay is paint there is a ton of powder coat and even a few anodized pieces here and there. Oh and I do have Prothane motor and trans mount bushings just waiting for me to install.

After the removal

After a clean up with "200 grit" wire wheel on a low rpm corded drill

I almost just wanted to shoot 2000* clear on it but I knew thew dirt and grime would still stick/show the same, black it is.

Two coats of primer

I can't seem to find rebuild pics or the final paint on trans but I have them somewhere. I'll post them as soon as I find them

Come on man, you didn't even mask off the wires before you spraypainted the plastic fans?

LOL I have high temp black wire loom for under the hood. Plus this was a mock up depending on how the wire looks and the resistance it reads before I re-install I may re-solder a new pig-tail anyway. When I'm done this build will be clean I promise not to disappoint the DSM community ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for the comments. I have done my share of builds over the years everything from my first car (1964 Triumph TR-4) to my last build (1976 Corvette w/EFI LT1). This is my first DSM and so far I'm diggin it. No real hang-ups yet although I wish I would've checked for crankwalk before I did the tear down LOL. Wasn't aware the 7 bolt had such an issue with it. So friday I turn the dreaded 30 and saturday I plan on checkn for walk, c'mon birthday wish:p

Good luck in your build. Nice to see someone local into DSM's.:hellyeah:

Hey Abe nice ride man. I have been teetering on re-spraying mine red LOL. I do a ton of work in Goldsboro. Would be nice to get a meet setup when I am done with build. Wouldn't mind cruisn with a few local DSM'ers :thumb: The only other one in my area looks like homeboy robbed autozone for every chrome slap-on he could get hahaha, I past him a few times and he has massive FMIC but I never heard the bov, saw it parked at home depot last weekend and wouldn't ya know the FMIC is fake it's a N/T.

Nothing better then coming home to find this fresh from the mail box.:rocks:

20130327205520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130327205527.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130327205747.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130327205720.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130327205614.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130327205704.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have to give a big shout out to the Crew 2 G Pop Shop. Fast service, Great customer service, and kick :nono: prices. BTW if you look close you'll notice that shaft is different then what I mailed them :thumb: Thanks Guys!!!!!! And the second wheel you ask? shhhhhh :shhh: that's my little secret :sneaky: Taking the fam out to Carowinds for my birthday this weekend so next weekend will mark the finally assem and beginning tune :hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

Here's a few pics of the rebuild with the newly balanced parts :thumb:

Holy FedEx Batman :ohdamn:

Been a busy few weeks weather's nice and the HVAC industry is booming. Finally got day off Sunday so I had time to put the trans back in :hellyeah: Finished some clean uo and removed A.C. and components freed up a little space :thumb: Will be busy all week but this weekend I will finally get to start her for the first tiime in almost a year LOL I will post pics and a vid of first start up when its done. Turbo just came back from machine shop ready to go in, only thing I'm left is I need to weld the bung for the MTX-L sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back