The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

New DSM Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numba1Stuna

Probationary Member
Nov 22, 2012
Nampa, Idaho
Hey there guys, just picked up a 92 N/A Eagle Talon this last Saturday. Got it for a hell of a price, traded a pistol and $200. Near mint interior, dash still has it's glow. The only issue is it's not running. Turns over, but doesn't try to start. Figured I'd take a crack at it for the price. I was able to spend just a little time on it last weekend, and it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is kicking on, so I will investigate that further when I get a chance this weekend.

One thing I'm not sure of, and I hope you DSM Vets can assist me with, is identifying the engine. I know it's a SOHC, but not much else. The PO literally only had the car a month and he couldn't get it to run, lost his job, and sold it. Before him a lady had it since 2006, as I can tell from an old registration. The story goes that she blew the engine somehow and replaced the motor, whether it's identical to the original motor is beyond me. Used google and that didn't work out too well. So your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not new to bloody knuckles or slinging wrenches, LOL. I've got two Turbo Toyota Supras(currently doing a complete rebuild on one), Turbo Ford Probe, 3000GT N/A, and now the Talon. Maybe I could post a few pic of them if you guys would like. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance, and happy Thanksgiving!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I hope you DSM Vets can assist me with, is identifying the engine.
That's a 1.8L SOHC engine. Hope you don't take this the wrong way but here's the DSM engine rank list, from low to high:
6) 1st gen 1.8L SOHC non-turbo
5) 1st gen 2.0L 4G63 DOHC non-turbo
4) 2nd gen 2.0L 420A DOHC non-turbo
3) 2nd gen 2.4L 4G64 SOHC non-turbo
1) 2nd gen 2.0L 4G63 DOHC turbo
1) 1st gen 2.0L 4G63 DOHC turbo

Thanks man, no offense taken, much appreciated. Knew it wasn't a powerhouse engine. Just want to identify it to purchase the correct parts. Is there a specific/exact name for that engine or is the only way to identify it as Mitsubishi 1.8L SOHC? So when I'm looking on Ebay/parts house/etc I know how to describe it. Thanks again guys.

I don't know much about the non turbo but, good luck! should post pics of the body

Thanks, here's the only I've got on the phone right now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353647646943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353647646943.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
Is there a specific/exact name for that engine or is the only way to identify it as Mitsubishi 1.8L SOHC?
Sorry, I didn't put the engine code, 'cause I didn't know it! Anyway, I looked it up: it's a 4G37. So the complete line is: 1.8L 4G37 SOHC non turbo.

Thanks man, you've been more then helpful, and now I know what type of parts to scout for when looking. I'll post a tech section soon with what I find out in regards to the fuel pump and starting issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back