The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

New DSM Owner - '90 Eclipse GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtravman

Probationary Member
Oct 1, 2010
San Diego, California
First off, i have a friend that has a red '91 Tsi awd and I was attracted to it every time i came over. Loved the body style, so I finally found mine on craigslist w/ a 5 speed (I <3 craigslist) and now its time to show it some TLC. I'll throw some pics up later. she idles really rough, sounds like a bad valve or two, the vacuum lines are all mixed up with the MBC (rofl) etc, most likely boost leaks, and the bolts that hold the turbo to the manifold, well, two of them were so loose i could pull them up without unscrewing them haha someone was treating her like shizz.
i cant even see gaskets between the turbo to manifold or wastegate to downpipe... I'm gonna run a compression test on saturday so we will see what that determines.. :/

Here's a vid: (btw that sticker that is on the windshield, i am in no way involved in a gang or a street racing club. LOL the car came like that)

YouTube - &#x202a;'90 Eclipse GST&#x202c;&rlm;

YouTube - &#x202a;'90 Eclipse Vid 2&#x202c;&rlm;

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

my plans for now are just to get it back to running really good, even if it means a new block or rebuilding the head, etc..

thanks, i'll check out those links. yeah, this forum by far is the most informative based on the represented DSM than any other forum based on any other car out there, there is TONS of useful neverending info here.

I removed the turbo and opened it up, no shaft play :D BUT, there were gaskets between the wastegate to downpipe, and wastegate to mani. Also, there was cardboard in place of gaskets around the throttle body :O. On the compressor outlet flange and transfer pipe flange, there was a cutout of an aluminum monster can homemade gasket. Are you kidding me? He also had the manual boost controller running off the same vacuum line his boost gauge was reading. And there were only 2 bolts holding the turbo to the manifold as the other 2 weren't long enough to catch threading on the turbo through the top of the manifold. the downpipe was also missing a bolt. No wonder it's running like crap, I'm gonna spend a lot of time with her. Compression Test and possible leak down test tomorrow. I think i may have some burned exhaust valves, i know they aren't sticky because i tried holding her at 2k rpms to flush the stickiness off the valves the sound was still there. Spark plugs were clean, just a little white but it was the same on every single one. Lastly, i'm gonna also run a boost leak test tomorrow, hopefully (im sure, actually) i will find some boost leaks.

Hey what happened with your car I would like to know because it seems i bought it from whoever you sold it to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back