The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

New daily driver suggestions. Need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamble97

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
small town, Illinois
Racking my brain here trying to figure out a new daily driver to get. I have a few catches so read carefully.
Got approved for a loan up to 18k (least is 7500), trying to stay under 12k if possible. Would like smallest payments possible. I haven't had a fun car since I sold my dsm so it's been years and I want 1 car that can be a daily and toy. An evo would be ####ing ideal, but it doesn't meet the banks requirements :( nor does an wrx. They are still over priced or too high of miles.

My requirements:
No domestic. haven't found one I like...at all!
Must get good gas mileage, minimal 25
Must not be convertible and not a coupe. Need 4 doors or hatchback as I have a little one.
I can't decide if I should have fun with a manual or keep it adultish and drive auto. Kind of want my gf to be able to drive it too.
Turbo is ideal but not required.
I want a car that has a following. Something I can build my own parts for and maybe open my own store or market them to the community. Also looking into a CNC machine that would help with me making parts for a car that has a following. So something to compliment my welding and metal working.

Banks requirements:
No older than 2005
No more than 70k miles. They said the computer will deny it automatically if it has anything more than 70k miles.

Thoughts:
Would love a manual TSX, however finding one with banks requirments is not happening.
Evos are grossly overpriced and have way too many miles. Same with the wrx. subaru legacy is in the same boat as those two.
Kia soul - not going to lie, I think it could be fun. If I build a manifold and turbo it, but I know nothing about them.
Gf just got the scion XD and I like it a lot, especially since it got her 41mpg on the highway today. I feel as though the seats are too narrow and my shoulders don't fit, but none the less I can do it if I can find one at a reasonable price.
Jetta 2.5 n/a. They look cool, but I never drove one. Not sure how much fun it would be or reliable.
mazdaspeed 6 - terrible gas mileage. Cross that off the list.
Mazda3..not bad, but I just sold mine because it was an 04 and starting to rust everywhere.

Honda fit. Friend has one and loves it, but not sure it really fits me. The good news is that it's the least expensive car I've seen and it's a honda. But it only makes 85hp to the wheels. My current sonata is 181hp. Dropping 5k to do a k20 swap won't happen that's for sure.

Seems to me the best bang for my buck is a vw, but not sure on reliability. Anyone have any good ideas/thoughts? I am looking to do something ASAP so I can sell my car for dirt cheap and use the money towards crap that needs attention asap.

Knew it would take long for someone to post a smart ass comment.

wow the bank has to approve the car??! well you rules off 90% the "fun" cars you could get. Maybe a Subaru forester? there pretty bad ass and share the exact same plat form as the STI's, everything's totally interchanged-able. *cough* including engine plug'n'play *cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say Jetta, Acura TSX, or Mazda Rx-8.

Btw it makes absolutely no sense about the mileage being "approved" by the bank. I am a loan originator and the things they look for at my bank are previous auto loan history, credit history/score, income compared to debt, and value of the vehicle compared to the loan amount.

The mileage only determines the loan term for example a car with 25k could get a 5yr loan where a car with 60k could only get a 4yr loan.

Maybe your bank is different but IMO your banker has absolutely no idea what he/she is talking about and would rather talk about what they don't know vs shut up.

I have a Chevy cruze which is a 1.4t. Gets really good gas mileage and also has a turbo for you to build parts for. It's 4 door as well. You are going to have to check the pricing on used ones as I think new ones are in the high teens. Nice little car though for a daily driver.

Well, in my town, i see sti's and wrx's going for 9-15k. I don't know how that's overpriced..

Get a 2000~ bmw, golf?

I have a Chevy cruze which is a 1.4t. Gets really good gas mileage and also has a turbo for you to build parts for. It's 4 door as well. You are going to have to check the pricing on used ones as I think new ones are in the high teens. Nice little car though for a daily driver.

I recently found out they came in turbo but it's still a domestic and over priced so no thanks.
sorry, I should be serious.

any Chrysler with the 2.7L

As I said no domestics.
Well, in my town, i see sti's and wrx's going for 9-15k. I don't know how that's overpriced..

Get a 2000~ bmw, golf?

Those don't fit the banks criteria.
I was going to say Jetta, Acura TSX, or Mazda Rx-8.

Btw it makes absolutely no sense about the mileage being "approved" by the bank. I am a loan originator and the things they look for at my bank are previous auto loan history, credit history/score, income compared to debt, and value of the vehicle compared to the loan amount.

The mileage only determines the loan term for example a car with 25k could get a 5yr loan where a car with 60k could only get a 4yr loan.

Maybe your bank is different but IMO your banker has absolutely no idea what he/she is talking about and would rather talk about what they don't know vs shut up.

The rx8 is a pile of crap. The tsx, if I can find a manual one that would be ideal but there are none for sale. Was going to test drive a jetta last night but as soon as the guy pulled it up, someone else walked up and said sorry it just sold.

Look up the auto loan terms from capitalone.com

Test drove a manual kia soul last night. Slow as piss but it rides great, I liked it a lot.
I test drove a nissan cube. Honestly it was so freaking ugly, but I figured I would check it out. I liked it a lot. I have never sat in a car that had seats that comfortable before. They were amazing! Didn't ride as smooth as the kia but still very nice. I did not care for the stupid 1speed transmission. That sucked!

Pretty rude to people trying to help. You probably won't find a not overpriced, sporty, import, that the bank will approve.

sorry, I should be serious.

any Chrysler with the 2.7L

Oh jeez no nothing .7 by chrysler. 2.7, 3.7, 4.7. Might as well burn your money than buy one of them. Nothing but junk from a mechanics view. S2000? Mazdaspeed miata? There is some kia I've seen lately that look pretty decent but I don't know the name or anything about it.

I have a 2012 Mazda3 as a rental right now until my DD is done at the autobody shop. Granted, it's a base model, but damn it's horrible.

Oh jeez no nothing .7 by chrysler. 2.7, 3.7, 4.7. Might as well burn your money than buy one of them. Nothing but junk from a mechanics view. S2000? Mazdaspeed miata? There is some kia I've seen lately that look pretty decent but I don't know the name or anything about it.
woosh

95 civic hatch
40MPG
can be built into 200hp pocket rocket
can be had for like 4k.

best daily ever.

far as 2005+
no clue
i daily a 08 cobalt ls coup. cheap, bout 35 mpg a/c...no power locks or windows though.

why not get a Hyundai Sonata Turbo w/ the 2.0? I've seen them open up on the highway, fast as f***! They are still kind of new so it should be easy.

Dodge SRT-4? What about an older 04-05 Lexus with the N/A 2JZ-GE? Nissan 350Z? 370Z?

Your loan probrably cant reach this but take a look at that new Cadillac 2.0 AWD turbo that recently came out. You could probrably get it if you got a short lease. Its pretty much a high-class GSX! :sneaky:

Actually the Kia Forte looks kinda nice. I think I saw someone mention Kia above me. I have absolutely no idea from a mechanical perspective though. I don't think I would ever see myself driving a Kia...

Actually the Kia Forte looks kinda nice. I think I saw someone mention Kia above me. I have absolutely no idea from a mechanical perspective though. I don't think I would ever see myself driving a Kia...

I'll be serious in this thread for a sec.

My grandmother got a 2010 kia new in 2009. At the time my DD was my talon and it was broke for about 2 months so I drove the kia everywhere for about 2 months. It's an okay car, came pretty much fully loaded with all power options/cruise/good stereo for $16k, and thats when they were brand new on lots in 09.

But its not comfortable, the automatic is a pile of shit - it hasn't had problems but its super laggy and feels like it's always slipping. Seats are rock hard and not comfortable at all. However for the price you wont find a more roomy sedan probably. Ever since she's had it I swear it randomly pulls to the right on the highway at 70+. Sometimes its fine other times I'm constantly holding it left a bit.

My 138k mile mazda 626, I prefer way over the kia. But I guess I wouldn't mind the kia for a brand new cheap car if I was looking for a roomy sedan that gets halfway decent gas mileage. + Kia's don't hold their value at all.

chevy cruze eco, rated at 42mpg, some have seen as high as 60 on the highway. The eco has a turbocharged 1.4L. Plus they look pretty sharp and run about $16k

That will soon be my dd. Cant beat the looks and performance for that price imo.

But it seems like your looking more for another toy then a true dd.

Didn't the 4dr cobalt come in a turbo model? Looks like you might need to change your criteria. I mean looking for a manual 4dr car? There are some but not alot compared to autos, most people walking into a dealership looking for a 4dr do not want a Manual.

Given the banks criteria, and yours put together Linda eliminates all cars from the equations, but you need a DD right?

Until you can a: get more money or pay cash for a car. You might have to compromise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back