The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G New COP ignition propblem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Smith

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
Houston, Texas
Hello all, I got a Frontline Fab COP plate for Christmas and decided to install it on the car. However, I'm having sever breakup when under any boost. As you can see in the pictures, this specific plate has the coils bolt underneath which makes you trim a significant amount of rubber off. I don't know if I trimmed too much or too little or what the hell is going on.

One weird thing about this plate is it really squished the #4 coil onto the valve cover causing so much binding that I had to remove material off the valve cover and the coil just to get the setup to fit. I wound up adding some liquid electrical tape at that spot to see if maybe the coil was grounding out there. Nothing has worked to any degree.

There doesn't appear to be any arcing on spark plug ceramic and I added dielectric grease there. I'm certain I have it wired correctly. All joints were done with solder and are very secure. I know that's not optimal but I would imagine it would be good enough to work. I also am using a Dynatek ARC-2 that has worked great with my stock ignition. Any ideas?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Is this the one i shipped out?

Those boots look really really short; you should have also clipped the springs to work at the proper length without spring binding.

If you need another set of boots and springs, I have about 30 sets in storage and I can send some over, as well as pull mine off the race car and measure them.

Is this the one i shipped out?

Those boots look really really short; you should have also clipped the springs to work at the proper length without spring binding.

If you need another set of boots and springs, I have about 30 sets in storage and I can send some over, as well as pull mine off the race car and measure them.
Hi Tim, it's probably the one you sent. I was very surprised to open my mom's present from Tim Zimmer as I gave her the link to frontline fab:) I kept cutting the boots and cutting them until I realized the plate was binding on the VC. As you can tell from the pic, without bolting them down they sit about a 1/3 inch off the VC, which would lead me believe they aren't short. If you feel they are too short, I would be happy to pay you for a new set of boots. Just let me know.

I'll try and run over to the storage units tonight and grab a set, and i'll pull off the ones on my car and measure them and clip them to length.

Andrew messaged me because I had one on the shelf and he was out of stock so I shipped my shelf stock to you.

Are you using a stock valve cover or a Frontline Fabrication valve cover? I have no binding issues with my billet cover. Ahh, looking at pics you are using the stock valve cover, so where is the contact exactly occurring at? That knobby spot on the front of #4 cylinder well? I don't have a stock valve cover here to measure against to see what the problem is; i'll take a look at my billet cover which i believe doesn't have those little knobbies in it.

Ok I grabbed a set of coil boots and springs. I pulled off my COP assembly on the race car and measured the boot lengths as well.

I cut off the thick flange side so the boot had a total length of 3.5", then I clipped the springs on one side to shorten them to fit without binding. The small side of the spring facing the spark plug; the large side of the spring facing the coil. Then dielectric grease the spring and install spring into boot and boot onto coil, then install and test fit.

PM me the shipping info and I'll send over a set of boots and springs so you can cut them down using a straight edge sharp razor blade to make a clean cut.

After I removed some material, it doesn't appear to be binding anymore.

Sorry for the thread bump, but I just purchased the FF COP plate and was curious to what material you removed to make the plate sit flush. Was the material removed on the valve cover or the plate itself? I’m using a stock valve cover as well for now and it’s currently not installed on the car so I want to remedy this problem before I put it all on.

Thank you for posting this. You just saved me from a possible headache. Now I get to grind my freshly powder coated VC. Luckily it won’t be seen :coy::coy::coy:

It looks REAL nice Vegas! Hope you have it working properly now!

are you running these with a cdi? I couldn't believe how shitty a cop is without a cdi. I forgot to plug my ignition in one day and took it out....the engine was breaking up like crazy

No problemo. Please let me know what you find as I'm curious if this is a consistent problem.

Just mocked up the COP plate and it’s hitting the same spot. So I took out the 1 button head screw that holds the 1st coil and it fit flush. So I just need to make clearance for the screw head.

I do confess, that I have been driving around with this setup with no CDI. :coy: I know it’s not recommended but it honestly drives great. I plan on shelling out for the ARC-2 kit from extremepsi as a gift to myself this Christmas.

Just mocked up the COP plate and it’s hitting the same spot. So I took out the 1 button head screw that holds the 1st coil and it fit flush. So I just need to make clearance for the screw head.

I do confess, that I have been driving around with this setup with no CDI. :coy: I know it’s not recommended but it honestly drives great. I plan on shelling out for the ARC-2 kit from extremepsi as a gift to myself this Christmas.
I guess they designed it to fit on their custom valve cover but it's so pretty.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back