The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G New Clutch Jerking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just finished my 6 bolt swap built, and took it out for a drive today noticed my clutch engagement is wierd, I don't know what to call it so I will try to explain.

Fidanza Flywheel with new surface and new Southbend clutch with 2600 pressure plate

When I first drive it my clutch engagement was like halfway out, so I adjusted the rod to be about 1/3. This helped alot

However when I let off of the clutch quickly under 3000 rpm the car jerks like crazy. I have to let out of the clutch very slow to make it drive smooth in that gear. At high rpm there is no problem.

What is this?

Last edited:
have you finished the break in of the clutch yet? If not it may go away after the break in.

Did you remember to clean the friction surfaces on the pressure plate and flywheel before you installed the clutch?

here is the clutch pedal adjustment procedure. you obviously know how to adjust the clutch so this is more for the specs if you needed them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

have you finished the break in of the clutch yet? If not it may go away after the break in.

Did you remember to clean the friction surfaces on the pressure plate and flywheel before you installed the clutch?

here is the clutch pedal adjustment procedure. you obviously know how to adjust the clutch so this is more for the specs if you needed them.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1.) Yes I cleaned it
2.) No this was my first drive on it, maybe it does need to be broken in
3.) Adjusting it helped a lot but it is still weird, guess I have never driven on a lightened flywheel or brand new clutch before. Just don't want to burn this one out.

Adjustment should be around 0-2" from floor for it's disengagement range. It sounds like you are over-extended on your master cylinder adjustment rod. Could lead to partial disengagement of the pedal at pedal-up, jerkiness, etc. Adjust the rod out (into the pedal, away from the master) several revolutions, bleed clutch hydraulics, try again.

1.) Yes I cleaned it
2.) No this was my first drive on it, maybe it does need to be broken in
3.) Adjusting it helped a lot but it is still weird, guess I have never driven on a lightened flywheel or brand new clutch before. Just don't want to burn this one out.
When you say jerky do you mean engages quickly? Let me ask you this? Have you owned a performance clutch before especially one with a lightened flywheel? It takes some practice to be smooth and more so with a lightened flywheel.
Just wondering if you have a real problem or you just aren't used to it. I would still check the engagement per twicks post.

Is this the K536SSXTZ/B dual friction Kevlar/Ceramic disk kit you purchased from me in 2019?

When you say jerky do you mean engages quickly? Let me ask you this? Have you owned a performance clutch before especially one with a lightened flywheel? It takes some practice to be smooth and more so with a lightened flywheel.
Just wondering if you have a real problem or you just aren't used to it. I would still check the engagement per twicks post.
Yes chances are I just don't know what I'm doing and need some tips. Never driven on a performance clutch or lightened flywheel. My last clutch was upgraded on a stock flywheel which was easier to get used to.

I also ran a braided line from my master to slave cylinder removing the

Is this the K536SSXTZ/B dual friction Kevlar/Ceramic disk kit you purchased from me in 2019?
Yep I just finished the build. Again I'm sure the clutch and flywheel are fine I just want to ensure while I'm figuring out how to drive on it I don't burn it out.

Adjustment should be around 0-2" from floor for it's disengagement range. It sounds like you are over-extended on your master cylinder adjustment rod. Could lead to partial disengagement of the pedal at pedal-up, jerkiness, etc. Adjust the rod out (into the pedal, away from the master) several revolutions, bleed clutch hydraulics, try again.
My master rod is maybe 3 or 4 full rotations from bottoming out which seems ok and it is def better than before when I was engaged at about half pedal

There are 3 scenarios
1.) If I only use the clutch I can get the car rolling no jerking no problem. A slow let out engages and works.
2.) When I want to move a little faster let's say at a stop light I let off of the clutch a little faster and give it some gas. If I do this extremely slowly I can get the car going smoothly. If I try to do this a little faster and get all the way off the clutch the whole car just jerks like crazy. Maybe I should apply more gas? When I'm all the way off the clutch?
3.) While driving and shifting at 5k + rpms I have no problem. It shift and engages like a champ.

I never have any problems going from one gear to the next at high rpm but at low rpm I jerk around like crazy as well.

Clutch adjustment issue or do I need to learn to drive on this new setup.

Last edited:
I have the exact same setup. It's just the reality of having that strong of a clutch. When I take the trans out next I may try a heavier flywheel but it's simply going to be more aggressive than stock.

I have the exact same setup. It's just the reality of having that strong of a clutch. When I take the trans out next I may try a heavier flywheel but it's simply going to be more aggressive than stock.
Ok, so you have the exact same thing that happens to you? Those same 3 scenarios above?

Ok, so you have the exact same thing that happens to you? Those same 3 scenarios above?
Yes and no. Everyone feels and describes this stuff in different ways. I wouldn't say my car jerks badly but maybe it's the way you're driving it. It's hard to say.

When I used a full kevlar disc it acted exactly as you described, it wasn’t on a dsm and obviously not the same disc but thought I’d throw this out there-

When I used a full kevlar disc it acted exactly as you described, it wasn’t on a dsm and obviously not the same disc but thought I’d throw this out there-
Yeah, I just read this full post and it sounds the light flywheel is the main problem, the clutch could contribute but everything in the thread below is talking about what i experience. Seems like stop and go traffic with a light flywheel will just suck.

Sounds like flywheel choice, and your vehicle's tune.

Seems like stop and go traffic with a light flywheel will just suck.
you might try bumping up the idle 100 - 200 rpms. Doing so usually makes stop and go driving easier when your not used to running a lightened flywheel

Thank you everyone for your help, I will try bumping my idle but not sure it will help much. Just have to drive my weekend warrior a little more to get used to it. :D

This was due to a bad throttle cable, it was broken and the engine moving caused my peddle to jerk. New cables solved this

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back