The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G New AEM cam gears, shop messed up my timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockkass

Probationary Member
Aug 9, 2012
Merritt Island, Florida
Hey guys I'm having a problem with my timing. I brought my car to a shop almost 2 months ago to have new aem adjustable cam gears put on because I don't know much about timing and I just noticed that my timing is off by 2 teeth. I haven't been driving the car that why it took me awhile to notice it but now the shop is closed and no one else will even touch my "project". So my question is could it be that they put the cam gears on wrong or just messed up my timing? And how can I fix it, do I need any special tools? I've never learned about timing and now I have to do this all by myself so any help would be awesome.

I've battled this a few times. Get stock cam gears and get it timed by you or a shop. Then when timing is set correctly you put the aftermarkets back on put the timing belt in place and adjust the tensioner properly. That should solve your issue. There is alot of how to threads on timing just do a Google search and read it throughly.

Get yourself a haynes/chiltons manual. Are you sure the timing has jumped two teeth if you arent familiar with timing in general?

Typically, if the cam gear dowels are straight up, your white timing marks on each gear should line up in the inside of both cam gears. All other timing components have markers on the engine.

I've battled this a few times. Get stock cam gears and get it timed by you or a shop. Then when timing is set correctly you put the aftermarkets back on put the timing belt in place and adjust the tensioner properly. That should solve your issue. There is alot of how to threads on timing just do a Google search and read it throughly.

this is the best method to use when setting up aftermarket cam gears. i do this every time i set up aftermarket gears so i know its always right instead of guessing.

on interference motors (typically most DOHC engines), if timing is off more than 3 teeth (either cam gear for intake or exhaust) you start bending valves. 2 teeth off (intake or exhaust cam gear) you may get lucky and not bend anything.

this is the best method to use when setting up aftermarket cam gears. i do this every time i set up aftermarket gears so i know its always right instead of guessing.

on interference motors (typically most DOHC engines), if timing is off more than 3 teeth (either cam gear for intake or exhaust) you start bending valves. 2 teeth off (intake or exhaust cam gear) you may get lucky and not bend anything.

I just got my timing service done at a shop. Are you saying that if I wanted to change to adjustable cam gears I could just secure my timing belt and take out the stock ones without having to retime? Or is that too much of a short cut.

Hey guys I'm having a problem with my timing. I brought my car to a shop almost 2 months ago to have new aem adjustable cam gears put on because I don't know much about timing and I just noticed that my timing is off by 2 teeth. I haven't been driving the car that why it took me awhile to notice it but now the shop is closed and no one else will even touch my "project". So my question is could it be that they put the cam gears on wrong or just messed up my timing? And how can I fix it, do I need any special tools? I've never learned about timing and now I have to do this all by myself so any help would be awesome.

Post a picture. I cannot stress how much easier it is to help you with a picture.
But it sounds like you are just concerned, versus you having a real problem, other-wise you would have damaged the head or bent valves. With stock cam gears you don't always gets a perfect 180 degrees across , some times you will be off a tooth, that is common and acceptable, THEREFORE with adjustable cam gears you can get a better 180 degrees across by advancing the intake gear and retarding the exhaust gear to make up the small difference , So it will appear to be off .
See this write-up, it explains with pictures my point.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...l-installing-timing-timing-belt-6bolt-2g.html

If you got a way to haul the car and got the money im sure Real Street in orlando can handle it for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back