The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

New built motor, first start up!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatershawn

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2009
Austin, Texas
Hello.... i have EVERYTHING ready for me to start my newly rebuilt motor but have a few questions...!
Last night i was Sitting in my car about to crank it over and i remember something my brother told me about priming the engine with oil and coolent!!

How do i go about doing this (priming my motor) with everything already bolted up.. belts all on and everything??
Can i just unplug my wires and give a few quick cranks??

and doing the timing... i know how but i had to ask... i cant find the noutch to set my timing with on my crankshaft pulley!!
Is it the one with the pin in it or is that just for evening the weight
OR
Is it the one that just looks like a hole the tip of my pinky can sit it??

thanks for the help this is all i need now, and i was soooo temped to just start it last night it took me some power to overcome that.. i haven't had this car in almost 2 years and when i did is it was the 4g67 sohc!!!!

thanks for the help in advance

DO NOT JUST START IT!!!!!! Firing it up without priming could cause some serious problems. The bottom end might be ok but you won't get any oil to the head or turbo fast enough.

To prime the motor you need to disable the ignition. Crank it over a few to several times (many opinions are different) in ten second intervals.

Then if there are no leaks and everything checks out, fire it up and go! :thumb:

Get the timing set first. Here is a picture of the setup. If you need a closer view of the crank pulley, let me know. Might just post it anyways.

Once you get the timing set right, rotate the engine over twice and align everything up making sure it is right. Then button up the front end. I would then rotate the engine by hand with the plugs out about 20 times. That will ensure that oil is into the pump. With the plugs still out and the ignition disabled as well as the fuel injectors unplugged, use the starter to crank the engine over for 15 seconds. Give the starter about a minute to cool then do it again. I would do this 10 times. Put the plugs in, hook everything up.

Now the coolant. I always find the coolant hose that sits the highest and disconnect it. The one near the throttle body should do. Now fill the coolant until some antifreeze runs out of the hose. Reattach the hose and top of the radiator.

Time to fire!

Watch the oil pressure. Shut the engine off if it doesn't build up within 10 seconds of running. Keep your eye on the temp gauge while it is warming up. Check for any leaks right away.

Sweet.... Just what i need to know!
Thanks guys!
I will give it a shot once i get off work... oh boy i work both jobs to day...
i guess ima have another late night!

if you take off the oil cap off you will be able to see the cams and springs, if you can have some one turn the motor over for you, you will be able to see the oil pumping up into the head. if you dont you will need to prime it from the oil pump. youll use a hand pump to pump oil into the head from the oil pump. then thak the hand pump off and put the bolt to close it up fast so the oil does not run back out. this may get messy. iv had to do this a few times because i removed my balancing shafts.

YA im not quiet sure.. this motor i have was ones rebuilt and just honed and used stock size pistons and it was broke in incorrectly causing the piston rings to crap out on it... my brother gave it to me to swap into my DL and i rebuilt it with .020 over pistons new rods and everything and found out it was the BS was removed, the EGR was blocked off already.. and turbo was freshly rebuilt too... haha!

well this has nothing to do with th topic... sorry!!

um but i don't really understand what the balance shaft does and why it is removed!
I can guess its there to balance the shaft haha and keep it from vibrating as much... but its just a guess!

The purpose of the balance shafts in the engine is to cancel out the engine vibration that you feel. It does nothing for the engine as far as the assembly being balanced. They are to balance out the vibrations and that is it.

People remove them for the main purpose of getting rid of the balance shaft belt. They do this because there have been way to many occasions where the balance shaft belt has for whatever reason come loose and knocked the timing belt off. This causes the valves in the head to not be in time with the pistons and the normal result of this is the valves get bent and your engine runs like crap.

It looks like we completed our build at about the same time. I'm having a local shop install my new eninge - but yes they will be priming the oil pump. I'm also going to use heavy weight oil for the break in period. Congrats on getting the car started and report back with any updates.

Yea, x2. I'm using Mobil 10w30 (NON synthetic) for the first few thousand miles on my rebuild. I've known many people to just unplug the spark plugs and fuel pump and crank the car over a few times to prime the system. Then plug everything back in and start it. You should see oil pressure just about immediately.

how well did you lube everything when it was reassembled. I am still working on breaking in the new motor on my truck but i did not prime, the oil system. I used comp lube when putting the motor back together but i bumped the key 2 times for a couple seconds and then started her. It only took like 5 seconds for me to get oil pressure after it started and it is still running great at 65psi for oil pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back