The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

New and need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiGWiG

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2019
Glasgow, Kentucky
What's up guys I'm new to this form so bare with me. I bought a 99 gst Spyder convertible stock bov stock set up. Well I bought a eBay blow off vavle and had to get bigger pipping to make it fit. I got in it today and noticed that my boost Gage was a quarter spooled under no load. The car ran fantastic for about 20 miles then something went wrong had no power I was topped out at 2000rpms couldn't get it any higher because turbo Gage said my boost was maxed. I think the bov is causing it (I am ready to buy a greedy or some kind of good bov) could someone help me out? I had to put bigger piping to get the bov on. Should it have to be tuned or something now? The nearest turbo performance shop is hours away please help!

Attachments

• 20190401_180844.jpg
    20190401_180844.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 73
You likely have a big boost leak. Go back over all your piping connections. One of them likely blew off. Did you make the piping?

That's what I was thinking. But I've checked all pipes and connections they are tight. I guess I'm gonna have to have it leak tested. I had to get bigger piping and a special connection hard pipe to get the blow of vavle to fit I will try to get pics today I don't know what could have happened I ilove these cars but I fear I may never figure this out

Update: found that the clamp on bottom of top upper intercooler had moved forward leaving a big gap for air to get sucked into the system. I need to put hard lines on it but have no turbo shop near me and yes I am a "noob" I've always loved turbos and the power they make but knew they were expensive to up keep but I just got that dam itch thank you paulyman for your advice much appreciated

Ok new problem now that I got boost under control a service engine soon light came on and I got a multiple cylinder misfire code I know that I should probably pull the wires check the plugs if it's not it then the coil and if not the coil or wires are plugs then maybe an injector correct?

that or coils are a good place to start
How do your plugs look? Carboned up, clean, or white?

The plugs were fouled so I replaced them all and new wires. But.....LOL light went off but still ideals rough had to mess with idler screw on throttle body and she sits at about 1,100 when ideal but I can still hear the little miss every once and a while. No code! Plus I just know that my turbo shouldn't be spoiling so fast! It's like as soon as I put my foot to floor or try to get over 4 grand its topped! It tops out at like 22 grand really. someone please help. I believe that the engine is not running at peak performance so therefore it's affecting the turbo system. Also I think I may it's probably a big boost leak somewhere and running lean but I have no turbo shop here and have no idea how to do it myself please help

Start off by rechecking all your intercooler piping connections and make sure you don’t have a boost leak. Another thing check to make sure your MAF is connected and not loose.

To be honest I think it's the way my step father "rigged" the piping for the blow of valve but that's not the side that should matter. But he got this foam like tube from intercooler to bov adapter I had a stock 38mm bov and put a 44mm on then the pipe to the adapter to throttle body is new rubber hose. Idk I'm woundering if intercooler is bad please help

need to go through the intercooler piping, put a stock bov back on, check the plug gaps, and ensure your wastegate system is functioning properly.

a boost leak test would be good. can you give us a list of modifcations done to the car, with pictures if youre not sure on a specific piece?

Yea I will get pics tomorrow original bov was broken my stepfather just gapped the plugs but I will get pics up and as far as lost of mods nothing but bov everything else stock. Waste gate is something I'm clueless about i don't even know where that is I'm such a noob but I love this car not getting rid of it

If you are venting to atmo with the new setup that might be the CEL's. There's no need for a big bov til you turn the boost up. Focus on following the modification path on this site and you'll never go wrong. Keep in mind that the engine always needs to know accurately how much air is going in, any little leak will throw it off a lot. So ensure you know how all the turbo system components affect each other before messing around too much. You'll get the fwoosh noise soon, but if you want the car to work well it'll take a bit more than a BOV. Stock boost gauge is inaccurate, my vote for first mod would be a boost gauge.

I had a 95 that had a decent aftermarket bov and it was stock. I don't know much about turbos work but I love that sound I must have put to big of a bov on it. I heard that all bov leak a little I need some one to look under the hood with me and that knows what their looking for no boost shops around I'm about to give up and just keep her as a trophy. She drives she pulls but somethings not right and I know it I just can't find it

Ok guys here's some picks of my set up now
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

your BOV is blowing off to atmosphere instead of recirculating into the intake tube. 406_Talon already mentioned that.
Hook up a recirculation tube like the stock setup and you should be good.

Your gonna need an outlet adapter for that blow off valve to route it back to the intake.

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/GR...Valve-Recirculation-Fitting.html?bestseller=Y

Last edited:
Yea I like the sound I've blocked off the tube from the turbo Intake. Would it really make that much of a difference and if so why do they sell bov to atmosphere?

Yea I like the sound I've blocked off the tube from the turbo Intake. Would it really make that much of a difference and if so why do they sell bov to atmosphere?
You are not understanding the process. The piping after the mas is open. You let in unmetered air. If you have something other than a dsm without a mas or you are on speed density then you aren't letting in unmetered air as the sensors are after the bov. Again. You must recirculate.

Will I still get sound? Should I buy adapter for my bov I don't have Alot of money I'm so confused since I capped off the tube AFTER the mas it shouldn't make a difference rite

Will I still get sound? Should I buy adapter for my bov I don't have Alot of money I'm so confused since I capped off the tube AFTER the mas it shouldn't make a difference rite
When you're at cruise/idle (let alone when you come off boost) you are probably leaking air at the BOV, which is DOWNSTREAM of the AFM. This is acting just like a vacuum leak, running you lean and causing misfires. If you had a wideband you'd see it run pig rich between gears when it vents the excess air already metered by the AFM.

That sounds exactly what's going on but how would I fix that cuz you're right it does kind of miss I'm going to try to get a video up soon to show the way it's spools up so quick. I'm spooled so much I feel loss in power.

That sounds exactly what's going on but how would I fix that cuz you're right it does kind of miss I'm going to try to get a video up soon to show the way it's spools up so quick. I'm spooled so much I feel loss in power.
You fix it by recirculating. The cap does NOT fix the problem. You recirculate or you go speed density. If the sound is your number one priority by all means leave it like it is and let the car run like crap. The bov is open under vacuum. That's how it works.

Well I guess I'll just recirculate when I get a chance

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back