1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

New and need some advice

Posted by ClayDSM, Feb 11, 2019

Please Support Ace Race Parts
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. ClayDSM

ClayDSM Probationary Member

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    Hi my name is Clayton I got an 99 Eclipse RS for my 16th birthday I love it to death but I see so much bad stuff being talked about the 420a engine inside of it is it really that bad I really enjoy it but I dont know if I should sell and fade into normal car society or keep it please help and thanks for you time

191  1

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Theres nothing at all wrong with the 420a engine! its very reliable...what you here is that its not worth trying to turbo that engine if you want to make a fast car from a Dsm, thats all.

Drag Race Build 2K  14

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. EagleGarage

EagleGarage Probationary Member

Joined Feb 19, 2017
    Richardson, Texas
    Its all up to you man, I would say a RS is a great platform to start learning on. I know some guys that started out with an RS. They eventually swapped the 420a for a 4g63 and later down the road did a AWD swap. The capabilities are endless, you just gotta have a passion for these things. Best of luck to ya

Drag Race Build 251  2

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 258  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  4. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    I agree with everything that has been said. The 420A is actually a great little reliable engine. I had a 420A Eclipse myself at one point. The 420A is just not the best platform for tons of modifications and horsepower. It should be noted that some have done it, but the 4G63 motor is much easier to work with and more readily makes power. Honestly, if I were 16 I would have been thrilled to have an Eclipse in any platform. My first car was a Dodge Aries.:toobad:

Street Build 1K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  5. ClayDSM

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    Sorry for late response but thank you to all who replied with kind words and great advice I don't plan on turboing it for the rest of its time with me I'm 16 and dont need to have somthing to fast I'll work a few more summers and save my money for somthing else turbo and quick and the future just glad to be apart of the DSM Jdm and other community's that come with owning a Japanese car I love the scene and am glad to have my foot in the door glad to be apart of it all for years to come thank you all God bless and have a good Friday
    -Clayton

191  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. ClayDSM

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    Snapchat-1895034341.jpg

191  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It sounds like you were raised properly, sweet and kind!

Drag Race Build 2K  14

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  8. sickwitit

sickwitit Probationary Member

Joined Jul 21, 2009
    SA, Texas
    Welcome!

9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    You have you're head on straighter than 99% of the other 16 year olds I've ever met, keep that mentality and you'll go far! If maintained and kept close to stock, the 420a can be a nice, sporty daily driver.

Street Build 496  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 732  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  10. ClayDSM

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    Thank you all for the great welcomeing responses glad to be apart of this fantastic community I think after reading many responses and doing countless hours of research and looking at other builds gaining great ideas I've decided what I want to do with this car it will be a nice respectful clean build with a less ricey exhaust bigger wheels fix the window tint fog lights front splitter header and mabe a rear bumper cover thing? (Dont really know the name) Thank you all for the gracious replys love you all and this community God bless and have a good week everyone
    -Clayton/ClayDSM

191  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You really, really need to come to the shootout in August, your only one state over so your lucky to be so close, you could bring your dad or whoever with you really, its Dsm, Evo,Gtr euphoria and its where you can get a metric ton of ideas for your car, turbo or not theres just a ton of Dsm's, come to the shootout, go to Cedar Point while your in the area!!!

Drag Race Build 2K  14

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  12. ClayDSM

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    I think I can make that happen I've heard of the shootout before is there any place I can get some info on it? I'd love to come meet a bunch of other dsmers and gain more ideas thank you for the suggestion :thumb:

191  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Here is the facebook page for it, if you even google Dsm shootout you will find a ton of videos, and pages on it, Im not far from it myself, and it takes place at Summit motorsports park (Norwalk Raceway Park) which is a world class (John force) type of track with amazing facilities that you wont find just anywhere, if you need any info or assistance with anything just ask along the way and I will do whatever I can for you.

https://www.facebook.com/BRShootout

Drag Race Build 2K  14

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  14. dantheman91gsx

dantheman91gsx Probationary Member

Joined May 18, 2015
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Yeah if you've never been to the shootout go....I have yet to see more dsm's packed in one place at the same time....always inspiring to go and then go back home and start playing with my DSM. Welcome to the site!!

Street Build 207  2

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.79 @ 131 · 1G DSM
    ClayDSM likes this.
  15. ClayDSM

Joined Feb 11, 2019
    Ferdinand, Indiana
    I'm definitely going to be there and thank you for the big welcome!

191  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  16. K_81_K

K_81_K Proven Member

Joined Jun 1, 2018
    Ontario, ON, Canada
    Any dsm is a great place to start
    Possibilities are endless but unfortunately so are the expenses LOL
    Welcome to the DSM world

ClayDSM likes this.