The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New 7 Bolt Motor (Big Problems)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97DSM_Spyder

Probationary Member
Feb 23, 2009
Fort Stewart, Georgia
<97 Eclipse GS-T Spyder>

Alright guys, this one is a rough one. I do not really know where to start so bare with me. I ordered a new 7 Bolt 4G63-T motor from Mark at Overbore.com a couple of months ago. He helped me pick out some new pistons for it as well and he had suggested "Center-line G5 Pistons (8:6:1)". Being notorious for his builds I did not question him and I ran with it. Also had him machine the OE rods. Long story short, after waiting 4 1/2 months for the engine after he said 2 weeks, it finally got here and my mechanic Chris at Southern Car Customs in Savannah Georgia put it in. He had driven it a couple of places today with out any problems at all. Was driven at wastegate pressure (12psi) with the boost controller at 0.0 without any problems and I was going to keep it that way until break in was done (To be safe 1500 miles). As he was literally turning into the shop (during DECEL) he heard a "Click, click, click and snap". The car would not turn over. He checked the belts and everything was fine. He checked the axle and nothing broken. Nothing was wrong with the transmission cause it would go into gear. So he rocked the car a little bit and tried to crank, it cranked. Twice. He moved the car a a little bit and tried to crank it again, nothing. Rolled it into the shop and he is going to check it tomorrow. I wanted to hear my fellow DSMers opinions and see what you guys can come up with. I have not seen the car yet so I really cant give a whole lot of information. Any insight as to what the problem could be I am all ears. Please, someone give me something. Thanks in advance.

This is the link to the pistons I THINK he used:
Race Engineering - Pistons

[Update] ----

Mechanic "Chris" at "Southern Car Customs" said that he thinks the Oil Sending Unit hit the crank because it was all bent up. Which does not make much sense to me but okay. Hes ordering one today and he is going to see if that was it or not. Also have a problem with the oil light coming on before the current problem. He said mostly likely due to the bigger oil pump. Has been checked for leaks and everything is fine. He also thinks that this new unit will fix that problem as well.

The First thing that comes to mind would be a timing belt. There is no CAS on a 7bolt and very rarely to CAM and Crank sensors go out. My guess is either the timing belt broke. If he already inspected it then my second guess is balance shaft belt. But I would hope you removed the BS when you were building this motor.

If the BS belt broke it can lodge into the timing belt and cause it to eat away teeth. IT can appear to be intact but Ive seen them eat off teeth and then your screwed.

This theory would explain the click click snap and no start.

Keep us updated
Kolby

I'd PM GS-T_Newboost for some local DSM support. SCC people are just looking for money. Never seen anything good of them either. Go with Carter Race if you wanna pay someone to do your work you. But other than that I set up with someone worth while in the Savannah area. Good Luck.

The balance shaft was completely removed during the build of the engine so I know that is not the problem. The timing belt was perfectly intact so that could not be the problem. Any other ideas...?

Not sure on the stubby shaft. I will check on that this morning and give an update.

First thing to do is check the compression and pull the timing cover off. Maybe a bolt backed out in the timing componet area and made your car jump timing. ive had a bs belt break and all it did was break my crank sensor which would make your car shut offand not crank back up.

Gonna work on that today with Chris, thanks for the advice. The timing is not tuned as it should be right now as I am waiting on DSM Link and my ECU to come in. So once we get that we can get to the tuning. Just an FYI.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back