The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

New 1g. Massive knock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiitman

15+ Year Contributor
May 12, 2004
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Still trying to fix all the little problems that the idiotic previous own caused. Having knock issues but haven't checked the sensor yet. Just replaced the un-hooked and probably bad o2 sensor. Only mechanical issue I can feel is slight idle surge (or a massive boost leak) I'll build a tester this weekend and check that out along with the knock sensor. Here's my last log. There is also residue around the ex manifold and head making me think that whoever made this "custom tubular manifold" somehow made the surface that seals against the head un-even.

Oh and mods are:
Evo3 16g
"tubular" manifold
ss o2
jdm 510s
ngk wires br6es
ghetto catback

Attachments

• run07242008-2.dat
    6.7 KB · Views: 128
Exactly. I'm wondering if it's a fuel feeding issue because of those high idcs.

Timing looks a smidge high there...no real curve.

I'm new to tuning a 1g and have read about their aggresive timing curves. I havn't checked base timing yet but should I drop the whole timing curve by 4 or 5?

Check base timing before driving the car. Do a boost leak test also. Try these settings for the timing:

2500 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000 5500 6000 6500 7000

+2 -1 +0 -1 +0 +0 -3 -5 +0 +1

Ok. If the cas clip isn't making a good connection with the cas what will that cause?

The car to barely run if it does anything or not run at all.

Ok. The cas clip looks like it's not seating right. But I guess that eliminates that problem.

What does it indicate when the a/f shows pig rich but the front o2 shows lean?

The air/fuel in dsmlink is just an estimate and isn't something you should go by. You need a wideband to know exactly what it is.

Figured out that I'm almost out of those 510s. So I'll throw the 850s in this weekend, adjust the timing and see if that helps at all.

So I threw in the 850s, lowered the timing and added fuel. I'm thinking now that it's actual knock. I havn't done a boost leak test yet and there is a exhaust leak at the mani/head. I think I'll throw in a gal of E85 and see what it does after the other tests. Also, does this log prove that my knock sensor is still working properly?

Attachments

• run.dat
    6.4 KB · Views: 64
^^ You might want to try just one gallon at first, but if you don't do the complete conversion try to put in 2 or 3 gallons to a full tank... When i was back on pump i had great results with just 3 to 4 gallons of E85 mixed with 10 gallons of 92 pump. Since you have control over fueling you will be able to compensate for the tad bit of extra fuel you'll need and it makes pump gas good and knock resistant to 25 psi on my car and that's still with a bunch of timing from the E85 map.

With those 850's I would just through in a whole tank of e85 and your issues should be gone. If you dont have a wbo2 I would get that next before anymore tuning.

Just did a boost leak test. Have a leak at the uicp/ic. Only able to build 5psi with a compressor that can build 25psi on a leak free system.

Fixed the leak (corroded ic) and it didn't seem to change anything. Ya, there's an E85 station less then a mile from my place but this is a daily driver so I'm trying to make it pump friendly.

No and haven't checked the knock sensor yet either. Trying to fix two cars at once. Also, if I'm running no boost controller (vac line from wg to j-pipe) how many lbs should I be pushing? I thought it was 10 but I'm making around 17.

Fixed the leak (corroded ic) and it didn't seem to change anything. Ya, there's an E85 station less then a mile from my place but this is a daily driver so I'm trying to make it pump friendly.

I knew it wouldnt help the knock, I get leaks all the time and still never see knock from it. Me and 3 others I know run e85 on our DD's with no issues. Its not that hard if you have a few pumps around. And way worth it.

Yea? I checked the knock sensor too. Tight and no ooze. Do I need a wally 190 or 255 for the E85 or do you think my 850s are good enough? Also, how many gallons of E85 do you mix in per tank? I won't be doing 30psi, more around 16-18.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back