The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Needing Help/Pointers SD Cruise Tuning (Logs Attached)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseGS-92

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2008
Selma, Alabama
Finally got my idle dialed in and decided to start getting some cruise tuning values today. I am getting an incredibly Rich mixture on part throttle with a bucking sensation, once throttle is increased even 1% the problem goes away and car runs much better at a stoich ratio.

What i am most in need of is pointers on interpretting this log and applying the information into changes in the SD and fuel tabs.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
How do i take spikes in CombinedFT ( both positive and negative) as well as WBFactor , and use them to determine adjustments to select cells once i have tracked them? ( yes i have run SD Combined FT adjustment 4-5 times today alone to help narrow my gaps for me and get me closer to where i should be)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mod list should be in profile if not i can re supply it in thread, thanks

Also the Idle log supplied is showing the VE table adjustments made by Combined FT after the cruise log

Mods:

Fuel-
Aeromotive 340 LPH Stealth pump
TDC High - z 1,000 cc injectors
Fuel Lab AFPR
Fuel Pump Rewire ( 8gauge power and grounds to 50 amp relay)

Engine- 6-bolt ( 2,000 mile factory rebuild)
-Crower(Not bc) 272's
-Skunk2 Adjustable gears
-Balance Shaft Elimination
-Brian Crower Springs / Retainers
-Lightly Polished Head
-Straight cut oil pump gears
-Forward Facing Oil Filter Housing

Cooling-
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-2x 12" Flex fans

Intake-
-Cyclone Intake Manifold ( factory style installation activated using FPR through a BCS)
-Speed Density (ECMlink SD Kit)

Exhaust-
-ERL t3 exhaust manifold ( lightly ported)
-Apexi N1 Cat back
-Custom 3" vband downpipe to vibrant flex

Turbo-
-Hx40 7 blade - BEP 3" vband hotside .70 A/R
-Punishment FMIC, Shortroute
-Greddy BOV
-Tial MVS Wastegate

Tuning/Management/Gauges-
-DSMlink v3 full
-Innovate LC1 DB Blue Wide Band
-GlowShift Boost Gauge -30/+30
-2x BCS (One for Tial MVS / Boost by gear) ( One for cyclone )

Drive Train-
-XactLite Flywheel
-ACT 2600 Pressure plate
-Full Face Sprung oem replacement clutch
-4bolt Rear end

Suspension/Brakes/Steering-
-10x10 Aluminum Power steering Cooler
-Megan Adjustable Coil Overs
-GSX 2 Piston Calipers Front / 1 Piston Rear
-ABS Delete
-Braided Stainless Lines
-Red Poly Mounts Engine and Transmission

Misc-
-Megan Short Shifter
-Battery Relocated To Trunk ( #1 Welding Lead Power Wire)

1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?

Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks?
Yes
2). Verified mechanical timing?
yes
3). Verified base timing?
yes
4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil:Stock
Wire brand and Age:Thundersport 8mm / 600 miles 1.5 years
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: NGK Iridium BPR5EIX

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
Cylinder 1:? Fresh rebuilt engine less than 2,000 miles
Cylinder 2:?
Cylinder 3:?
Cylinder 4:?

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
Idle Switch:yes
Throttle Cable:yes
TPS:yes
BISS:yes

7). Compression ratio Stock 6-bolt

8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
no
9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
ABS/Radiator lights ( no sensor in radiator and abs deleted )
10). Electrical system
Car off (not running):12.4
Car running:13.6

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: 50 psi
Injector Size (cc/min): 1,000 cc High-z

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: Innovate LC-1 / Bosch
Calibration Date:11/20/14

13). Type of fuel
Type:93
Percent of Ethanol:10

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?
yes

Attachments

• Nov 29 Cruise Log.elg
    144.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Nov 29 Idle log.elg
    41.9 KB · Views: 91
That idle log looks really good. You may want to open your BISS up just a bit to get the ISCPosition closer to 30.

As far as the cruise log. Not much to see. Just take that log and run the adjustment tool via DSMlink and make sure you dont see anything crazy.

Thanks and I have been running the tool. Still getting some crazy rich conditions at part throttle (less than 5%) which goes away with slightly increased throttle.

VE table needs to be smoothed in the 3k-4k rpm range. richest i saw the cruise tune get was 11:1 in the 3-4krpm range. Your target is 14.7 but VE jumps from 60 to 70 to 80. I am guessing this is the spool up area. Use that tool to see what it comes up with.

I get positive pressure at about 4200 but with 2% throttle and closed loop I don't see how it decides what value to run here. And yes my VE is still in dire need of smoothing. The auto adjust isn't helping much after 6 different attempts prior to this log.

Mainly this is what I was asking for. When I track the cells being used how do I apply my wb factor % to the table in order to bring my VE back closer in line? I am trying to understand the process behind it all so I can apply this throughout the remainder of cruise tuning as well as wot tuning once cruise is dialed in. Hoping to get a chance to tune some more on it this week but work has me slammed. So for now all I can do is tinker with my logs and research the correct way to approach each of my issues and try to assemble a better table to input this weekend.

Also thanks for everything over these past few threads they have helped me close in on a better running car for the first time in over 2 years. (Been down building in spare time)

We have somewhat similar setup. Im 2.3 hx40 55bep housing with kelford 272 cams. jmf intake manifold, CXR exhaust manifold.

open loop (WOT) aims for a target afr located in the afr table. it aims for this target using data in the tune like VE, injector size etc.... It injects the amount of fuel needed based on its calculations. If it doesn't reach the target it never knows cause it doesn't look at O2 feed back.

closed loop aims for a target afr located in the afr table. It aims for this target then monitors the O2 sensor to make adjustments called fuel trims (short and long).

Increase VE increases fuel, decrease ve decreases fuel. The ecu looks at several ve cells, weighs them differently, then computes a VE from that. You have no way of knowing which cells it used without using LinkTools.

U seem to run rich off boost, but during open loop. U are trying to tweak that hard to tune area. Best way is to set Open loop threasholds high, keeping the car is closed loop mode longer, and tuning that area with that data and LinkTools. Look on ecmlink page and youtube on how to set the thresholds high.......and stay out of boost while u do this!

Sadly didn't Calan take link tools down? I've heard so many good things about it and the magic it can work for you. And I'm starting to understand a little better. I'll raise open loop thresholds and see if I can get a better adjustment this weekend and post up my findings.

...but with 2% throttle and closed loop I don't see how it decides what value to run here.

If you are in closed loop, the ECU is targeting 14.7:1 AFR. The only exception is if you are using simulated NB and have the switch point set to something other than the stoich (14.7) crossover point of your wideband, and in some specific situations where additional minor adjustments are made.

If the ECU is in open loop, it is targeting a value found in the DA octane tables based on RPM and engine load.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back