The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Need your opinion on 2g eclipse gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel b

Proven Member
Sep 15, 2021
Middletown, Rhode_Island
So I’m thinking about buying a 1999 eclipse gs off someone they claim it needs a new crank sensor which they changed and engine wire harness, the person who has it said that’s what he was told by the person he got it from but I don’t know for sure that’s what’s wrong, any ideas? Do you think I should buy it?

So the crank sensor was replaced and the wire harness is bad? I take it the car doesn't run? If that's the case it could be problematic locating a no start issue, especially on a claimed harness issue/short. Could turn into a serious head ache. If you have the patients and will to fix it i would buy it. On the other hand it might be a better choice to find one that runs. The whole things a gamble, these are old cars so you never know what you will take on buying one. Hope this helps somewhat.

So I’m thinking about buying a 1999 eclipse gs off someone they claim it needs a new crank sensor which they changed and engine wire harness, the person who has it said that’s what he was told by the person he got it from but I don’t know for sure that’s what’s wrong, any ideas? Do you think I should buy it?
I would take a running car over non running any day unless it's just dumb cheap. Like a few hundred.
I'm not afraid of much so I've bought non running cars but it was always a known problem I could immediately tackle. Might even be a new motor but knowing that no time is wasted. Just get to it.
If this thing is more than 500 I would say no. I've bought good shape awd turbo cars that had problems for 1000. Granted that's been a few years. Point is don't just jump because you can. Weigh the options and consequences carefully. Are you prepared to put a motor in it if it needs it? Since you've not heard it run that's a possibility.

So the crank sensor was replaced and the wire harness is bad? I take it the car doesn't run? If that's the case it could be problematic locating a no start issue, especially on a claimed harness issue/short. Could turn into a serious head ache. If you have the patients and will to fix it i would buy it. On the other hand it might be a better choice to find one that runs. The whole things a gamble, these are old cars so you never know what you will take on buying one. Hope this helps
Yeah it’s just where I live it’s almost impossible to find one or one that Isnt rusted that’s why I’m considering buying it because the body is in decent shape, and I have a open garage for the winter.

I would take a running car over non running any day unless it's just dumb cheap. Like a few hundred.
I'm not afraid of much so I've bought non running cars but it was always a known problem I could immediately tackle. Might even be a new motor but knowing that no time is wasted. Just get to it.
If this thing is more than 500 I would say no. I've bought good shape awd turbo cars that had problems for 1000. Granted that's been a few years. Point is don't just jump because you can. Weigh the options and consequences carefully. Are you prepared to put a motor in it if it needs it? Since you've not heard it run that's a possibility.
Yeah I’m gonna think about it but it’s just there is little to no 2g eclipses in my state and this one is in decent shape.

I would get it if its what you want. In terms of fixing it just patients, research, waiting on parts, and elbow grease.
Just a quick question how hard would you say changing a engine wire harness is on the eclipse gs.

There is a huge archive of information on the 420a setup on this forum. Any harness change on a vehicle can be extensive on how long it takes to do. I would get a harness that hasn't been cut into or altered in any way to make sure all the plugs match up with their attachments and you can follow the proper repaire/replacement procedure.

There is a huge archive of information on the 420a setup on this forum. Any harness change on a vehicle can be extensive on how long it takes to do. I would get a harness that hasn't been cut into or altered in any way to make sure all the plugs match up with their attachments and you can follow the proper repaire/replacement procedure.
He is throwing a brand new one and took apart most interior to swap them he just didn’t have time.

Hopefully that is what is wrong with it if you decide to buy it. How much is he asking for the car?
1300 because he just thinks it’s the wiring harness. And it’s the only car near me that’s not junk because it’s all like in decent condition barely and rust.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oh ok. It looks pretty nice. I would just keep in mind it could possibly need more than the harness. Without it running its hard to know the mechanical condition of the engine and trans without taking it apart. I had a 420a back in 06-07 i liked it. Make sure the water pump and timing belt are in good shape. The water pump is driven by the timing belt and water pump failure can lead to catastrophic failure for the engine. My brothers pump pulley seized on his and locked up the motor. So while its down id do a timing belt job and replace the water pump.

Alright I do that as well, the guy that has it said it was running 4months before he bought it but I can’t know for sure. I will check out water pump and timing belt.

Good luck with the car. There is a section of the forum specifically for 420a tech and those guys know their stuff and theres tons of info archived. You will hear this alot from other members and that is to make sure the maintenance is up to date.

Good luck with the car. There is a section of the forum specifically for 420a tech and those guys know their stuff and theres tons of info archived. You will hear this alot from other members and that is to make sure the maintenance is up to date.
Yeah I will definitely right when I get it I’ll probably change belts and oil and plugs And fuel lines maybe if they are bad.

Before you buy it take a torque wrench or breaker bar and turn the bolt on the crankshaft pulley (passenger side). Do this just to make sure the engine will actually rotate and is not seized up. Good luck!:thumb:
I will, Thank you I appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back