The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need tranny help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonSway

Proven Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dassel, Minnesota
Hey guys i have a 95 tsi five speed. Im running into tranny problems. I was wondering if any one knows good shops in MN that rebuild transmissions. I was thinking about sending to jacks but would rather go local. I heard of a store called TSI in golden valley.Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Im not from that area but the one thing I would suggest is to make sure where you take it specializes in dsm transmissions or works on them a lot. I went through a lot of bs with a local transmission shop that I had fix mine because they didn't know crap about the thing and had to learn as they did it. They fixed it correctly but they took a loooong time. In hindsight I should've sent it to Jack's or Shep's.

no im not sure its my trans actually. I got the car about a year ago and the owner said it had a rebuilt trans. The thing looks brand new (As in its clean). It has a short throw shifter kit installed. Problems are it wont go into first 70 percent of the time from a stand still(i usually have to be moving forward to get it to go into first, almost like it does not go all the way into gear) and 20 percent of the time that it does goes into gear from a stand still it will ground hard! But through all the other gears it shifts good. Couple days ago it came out of 5th gear while i was cruising:banghead:

So sense its winter i park her in the garage and figured i would dig into her. I adjusted clutch and checked to my short throw shifter but no luck. What makes me think it is my trans ( i dont know much about them) is that when in reverse and im still moving back with clutch in and i try to go into first it will grind. I think that means a bad Synco?? not positive on that.

What if you clutch in to get out of reverse, let clutch out then clutch in to go into first? Still grind or not go in? What about clutch in, 2nd gear first then first? Did you adjust the clutch per Jacks video? Im just trying to narrow down some symptoms.

If i clutch in to go into 2nd gear, then go straight to first. SOMETIMES it will work.

For example from a stop light i will clutch into 2nd then still with the clutch in go straight to first(i do this because i heard it slows down the trans gears?) it will feel like it doesnt go all the way into gear. Then i will let the clutch out to take off and it will fall out of gear grinding. But on the other hand when i clutch into 2nd then go straight to 1st still with the clutch in sometimes i will feel it go that extra inch that i can tell it is in gear.

Basically the way i drive my car is if i need to get into first gear i do it this way.
Go to 2nd gear. let the clutch out so i move a little forward. then i quickly shift into first and you can feel the car go into gear. then i can take off from first

Yes when i first go the car he told me the transmission was rebuilt. He also installed a heavier clutch, lighten flywheel. Drove it no problems. WHen i started to experience problems with the trans. I changed all fluids, i also did adjust clutch from jacks video

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So Iam kinda stumped. I have heard of extended rods? when you upgrade to a heavier clutch. Maybe thats what i need?

No i appreciate your wisdom. Ive read your build. you know what your talking about and i would love to hear what you would do if this was your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back