The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need to Repaint a Black 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaAssault

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Washing my car today, I noticed just how much paint/clearcoat has faded away. There are a few tiny spots where its just bare metal with a little rust; and it will only get worse. So I decided its probably time to repaint the thing. I dont need a different color, and I dont need any fancy mirror shine gloss or anything, I just want a fresh coat to protect the metal. Where would you guys suggest going, and how much would you expect a paintjob like this to cost?

Last edited:
well, for a basic paint job, no additional work, I know that MAACO charges around $200. they also have a color/clear job that runs around $800.

This does not include any detail work (ie. wet sanding/buffing) but If you are here, you might be able to do that yourself.

There also seems to be a growing number of people using spray paint to paint entire cars and roller paint. Seems like that is cheaper if you are willing to do that yourself

Your code for the replacement black color is X-13 "Kalapana Black Pearl clearcoat" if you want to return it to the factory color...

There also seems to be a growing number of people using spray paint to paint entire cars and roller paint
Sad thing on the roller paint projects esp with dark colors is that if you don't get that oil based paint thin enough and use the right high density rollers, it will look horrible. .. and forget about rattle can paint jobs since that stuff is a lacquer based stuff and really hardens up quick and you'd be going through plenty of cans to get a even spray since it's such a fine weak spray in the first place where most of the paint actually bounces off the surface and little remains on the surface.

Plus, the two negative with using oil based is that there is no clear coat option along with serious fading if you don't garage it most of the time.

Good luck - DSM

Well the rust is what concerns me. There are three or four spots, each the size of a pinhead or so, where the paint is gone and the metal underneath is beginning to rust. You cant just paint right over that, can you? theres other work that needs to be done, correct?

technically you could spray straight over that, I wouldn't tho.

I would take those areas and sand them down, taking off the rust spots. Then shoot some primer, then shoot the color and then the clear.

But if you just want cheap coverage, you can just get a spray can of the right color and spray it right on there. But please, at least sand the area first.

There are areas where the clearcoat is fading and the area is fading to white, and I use black automotive spray-paint on these areas, but it never looks very good. Its not as shiny as the rest of the car. If there were a way around this, I would sand the rust areas and use a spray, but color matching has always been my biggest problem. Thats why I was thinking get rid of the rust then repaint the entire body. Overkill?

If you plan on keeping the car for a few more years, then i would spend the money on a quality paint job. When i painted my car, i spent $1500 in paint materials alone.
If you do the prep work yourself then it's gonna cost a whole heck of a lot less.
Any questions, just pm me. I'll help you out.

There are areas where the clearcoat is fading and the area is fading to white, and I use black automotive spray-paint on these areas, but it never looks very good. Its not as shiny as the rest of the car. If there were a way around this, I would sand the rust areas and use a spray, but color matching has always been my biggest problem. Thats why I was thinking get rid of the rust then repaint the entire body. Overkill?

no that's not overkill.....that's taking good car of your car.

color matching can be taken care of via ordering the paint from automotivetouchup.com or paintscratch.com

do you wet sand, buff and polish your freshly painted areas? if you just spray and leave, then there is your reason for it being "duller" than the rest of the paint.

Like Kingsstar said, it all depends on what you are willing to put into it. if you have the resources, the better quality stuff will last you longer

I, too, am in the same position. I currently have a blue '91 and looking to have it painted. I'm not looking for a mint finish as if I'm going to sell the car at an auction but just something to take some years off of the appearance. I went to my local MAACO (Tucson) for an estimate and I was quoted just shy of $700. That works for me as my plan is to have the exterior painted in jet black with a blue stripe down the passenger side of the car to prevent having to also paint the interior.

Well, Im pretty good at handling stuff by myself, but i dont have any way of spraying on new automotive paint by myself. Suppose I was to just prep everything myself, then take it somewhere just for the paint; my question now is what can be painted over and what needs to be prepped? the little rust bits probably need to be stripped and reprimed, but what about all the spots where white is showing through? because there are a LOT of those.

Alright, I took a close look at everything, and it would appear that the clearcoat is whats peeling. as far as I can tell, the paint still seems to be in Ok shape. except for the few rust bits here and there. How do you rejuvenate the clearcoat?

I think MAACO would be a good way to go if you do all the prep work yourself and then make sure to get the clear coat. Sure it costs more for the clear coat, but I personally don't see any point in painting a car and not making it look perfect. To me, that's like changing half of the oil to save money.

To my understanding, MAACO just paints over what you bring in. Paint is not a good adhesive or bandaid. If you try to cover up imperfections (rust, peeling paint, etc.) it will eventually just peel off and you'll be back where you started in a couple months. If you bring them a car that's been sanded down, body filler applied where necessary, and primered, I think you can get an excellent end result. Definitely top it off with a clear coat and I think your paint job will last as long as you own the car.

I really liked this tutorial:
How To Paint A Car or How To Paint Your Own Car 4 | Free Help and Info, Repair, Bodywork

A good investment of $10 if you're serious.

That's just me and my value system. Not necessarily right for your position. HTH

I did some weight reduction today and thought long about how the interior color is. My initial feelings were to have the car repainted from its present color (blue) to either white or black. I think the best route for me now is to simply have the original color (or slightly darker) in the event that MAACO just "throws" some paint on there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back