The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Need to rebuild my 1g AWD trans, Can i temporaly use 1g N/T fwd trans ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadeTreeDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2005
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
my 2nd & 3rd gear syncros are going out, so im planning rebuilding myself at work.

i had a 1g n/t 4g63 trans, should bolt up to the block the same since it the same dimensions as he AWD. i dont care if the ratios are off and i have fwd. ill just remove the driveshaft & just use my ACT flywheel & SBR 4000 clutch, wont beat the trans to hard so i dont bust it. ROFL

My question is why go through the trouble of pulling your tranny, to put the FWD and then only pull out again to put your AWD tranny back in thats alot of work. You could rebuild your AWD in less than a day, there's nothing to it, if all your doing is replacing synchros. And if you have it out might as well upgrade to Dbl Syncro in 2nd.

But to answer your question im not sure if they will mate up never tried.

My question is why go through the trouble of pulling your tranny, to put the FWD and then only pull out again to put your AWD tranny back in thats alot of work. You could rebuild your AWD in less than a day, there's nothing to it, if all your doing is replacing synchros.

i dont have time to do it in one day, parts take to long to get to me. plus i dont mind pulling the trans more than once, ive got it down to 30 mins when taking it out. its cake. i work at chevy, working on cars is sometime easier said than done.

im almost positive it wont work because of cltuch. i would upgrade the shift forks and rails while you are there

It will work as long as you get around the driver side axle. The n/t doesn't use a half shaft and needs a clip much like the passanger side axle. If you have a n/t axle kicking around, that would work just fine.

FYI - The clutch will work just fine in a n/t transmission.

It will work as long as you get around the driver side axle. The n/t doesn't use a half shaft and needs a clip much like the passanger side axle. If you have a n/t axle kicking around, that would work just fine.

FYI - The clutch will work just fine in a n/t transmission.

i have the N/T axles at my shop, ill pick those up. then i should be set

The awd flywheel will not work with a fwd tans.

Correct the N/T bellhousing is smaller than the turbo bellhousings. The FWD and AWD turbo trannys use the same diameter flywheel and clutch while the N/T transmissions use a smaller diameter flywheel and clutch, if you try to mate a N/T transmission with a turbo flywheel and clutch, the flywheel and clutch will rub and interfere with the bellhousing.

Correct the N/T bellhousing is smaller than the turbo bellhousings. The FWD and AWD turbo trannys use the same diameter flywheel and clutch while the N/T transmissions use a smaller diameter flywheel and clutch, if you try to mate a N/T transmission with a turbo flywheel and clutch, the flywheel and clutch will rub and interfere with the bellhousing.

+2 :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back