The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

need to borrow a 1g maf

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstkl

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
SoCal, California
Hey does anyone have a working 1g maf I can try out on my car? I think mine is bad but can't be sure. Thanks

No one has one I can try out even for a minute? Help me figure out something neither kris nor I can figure out. I know one of you has to have a running 1g with a working maf, please just let me try it out.

Also if anyone has one for sale I'll buy it too.

I'm trying to find one locally so that I can test to make sure it is actually the mass airflow sensor first.

The car has idle surging issues, however I've tried multiple ecus (including a dsmlink ecu) and multiple egr valves and iscs. The ONLY THING that makes the problem go away in any way shape or form is when the mass airflow sensor is completely unplugged. I also got the car running with dsmlink and an evo 8 ecu so I'm 99.99999% sure its the mass airflow sensor, I just want to make sure I can run this car with a stock ecu and stock 1g mass airflow sensor as it is a 100% stock car that will stay 100% stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ONLY THING that makes the problem go away in any way shape or form is when the mass airflow sensor is completely unplugged.

It's your MAF, I had the same issue when I first bought mine and used the same diagnosis. I have a good working MAF you could try but I might be a little far..

I have a 1g MAF that's been sitting in a box in my garage for a few years now. It was operating properly when last used. It's available if you're interested and still in need.

Last edited:
I have a theory..... I'm going to test it asap, but I really believe its the FIAV now. The previous owner claimed that after the car overheated was when this idling issue began. I found the spark plug wires to be melted completely to the cylinder head. This would imply that the engine reached temperatures over 400 degrees F. That would have caused the spring in the FIAV to extend more than usual, possibly yeilding it so that it would open larger once cooled again. On top of this, the steel used in the spring would have begun being annealed at this temperature, causing it to possibly become more brittle. This second part of my theory is less likely since the radiator exploded so the car would have lost a lot of the coolant it had, thus making the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the throttle body slower, although aluminum transfers heat well too. Also this is a relatively low temperature so the characteristics of steel shouldn't have changed much, but maybe?

Anyways, hopefully its the FIAV since I can adjust that back into spec or replace it.

anyone got a spair to make testing it easier?

edit:
Its a wax filled spring, I'm 99% sure this is why the car won't idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back