The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need some help deciding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
Well, here over the next few days I'm going to be making up my mind on a few important/non important things to kick myself back into a productive gear. Was looking for a little insight. Below are my options and my outlooks on them.

1 : The GSX - I picked up a GSX from a local guy who had bought it with a blown engine. Grabbed a GVR4 6 bolt, dropped it in, didn't finish it. Car is Auto, all stock, but needs love. It's primered, originally had an HX35, 950's, and some other small goodies, but I sold them and kept the other basics it came with such as the AFPR, the 390lph Fp, and Link v2.5 in a shot Eprom ECU + a good Non-Eprom ECu that can be converted for, what.. $100? A brand new wiring harness, and a full OEM timing kit + BSE kit. Anywho, it's all there, it just really needs time and a few hundred to get running. As it sits, It needs a new oil cooler, paint, to have the timing redone, remove the dash to swap the wiring harness, and cleaned up.

Thing is - I don't know if I want to only have a single day to work on it for the several months it'd take at that rate. By the timeframe I have, I wouldn't be able to have it running until 3-4 months from now.

2 : GVR4 - I'm a sucker for 1G's, despite having my past few cars been 2G's. The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I'd have enough of DSMs. The same feel, the same stance, the same look. Then I remember - there's still something out there. The lovely GVR4. Now, if I picked one up I'd want it to be stock, maybe need some work, and within a price range that if I hated it that I'd be content so $2000< would be ideal. I really love the style, the way they sit, and the fact they're 4G63 powered. Something tells me I'd have a ton of fun in one as I wouldn't be driven to keep in on the road due to it's age - I may let it see some dirt, snow, or mud.

The only downside to this is going to be locating one within reasonable distance or within a range to have it shipped without costing an arm and a leg.

3 : The Hardware Geek In Me - I REALLY... REALLY want to build a damned 8 core AMD rig...oh, the love. Where are the benefits in this? Oh... you know.. because it's a damn BULLDOZER.

The Downside is, it won't get me to work and back.

So, there are my chocies..I'm really leaning towards option 2 buuuut... I'm also heavily driven towards the first.

I'm a sworn 1G lover. Completely whipped, I'm proud to confess. But I'd still buy a GVR-4 if one came along and I had the loot/time/space I needed. They are unknown sleeper super-awesome-sexy machines!

Judging by your classified ad for the GSX, I'd say you already made up your mind, though.

Happy New Years, all!

It's really there as a "yeah, if you come up with the asking price or best offer at this very moment - you can take it " But I kind of enjoy it. The interior is NICE.

I think what I've decided to do is to gradually work on the GSX for now. I've been getting a ton of bites the GSX but nothing serious. It seems like if you price low, people want to come up with crackpot offers and if you price high they never come close to the asking price, so there's no good median. So, until there is a serious bite - I'll go ahead and assemble everything.

I could go ahead and simply do the timing and get her running... or I could pull the engine and trans, tape off the engine bay, paint it, do the timing with the engine out of the car, tuck wires in the bay, and then drop it back in so the engine bay looks nice and clean. In fact.. I might just do that...that or pull the engine out, tear it apart, rebuild the bottom end, and then go from there.

time to buy a replacement lift and engine stand.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back