The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need some help after finding out my rear cover was cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
On Friday I was driving and noticed my 5th gear was popping out and I had almost no reverse. I figured it was the infamous gear set nut that had backed off again. I finally got to get it in the shop today and sure enough the nut backed off and cracked the cover. I got everything apart and took care of the loose nut but need some help putting everything back together with the new cover. I found what I'm guessing is the remains of the synchro spring that was destroyed inside the cover and it appears that I'm missing a synchro key as well. Since these things basically fell out of the cover when I took it apart I'm not sure how it all goes back together. If anybody can help me out or even point me to a detailed photo or diagram of how the spring and keys are installed it would be much appreciated.

If you have a picture of yours i can tell you where everything goes

I think I got everything figured out but I have another issue. I can't seem to find the correct synchro ring for my tranny. I got all the gearset diagrams from the dealer and ordered the parts I needed but they were wrong. Since I'm using a 23 spline trans in my 90 I gave them the code from my trans when i ordered the new parts. The part they gave me goes in the same place but it is to small for my trans.

Here are some pics I borrowed so you can get a better idea of what I'm trying to explain.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^The top nut in this pic if what backed off. There is a gear that looks like a synchro the sit inside the hub and meshes with the teeth.

You can see the gold synchro ring in this pic. This is the ring I'm having trouble finding.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

For whatever reason my gear is bigger. I took a look inside a few other transmissions also and they all have the small gear. Hopefully I'm not confusing everybody. Does anybody have any idea on what part number or anything at all to help me find this gear? I don't know what car or year this transmission came from so I'm kinda stuck until I can find this gear.

that is the reverse synchro otherwise know as the reverse brake. The larger diameter synchro came in sometime around 92 I dont know the exact date i would have to check my caps program.

I ordered a different one the other day and it came in today. It was the right diameter but still the wrong synchro. Mine has a series of three breaks in the teeth (^^^___^^^). The one they got in today had teeth the entire diameter of the synchro. He ordered the remaining two gears on his list today so hopefully one of them will be right. Would I be able to use the one they got in? It's looks identical other than having more teeth. I would think that having more teeth on the synchro would result in a better mesh.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back