The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need some Engine/turbo help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackEclipse62

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2005
Madison, Georgia
I installed my exhaust cut out today and I was driving it and it spike to about 13 pounds of boost, and then i pulled back into the muffler shop to pay them the money and when i went in nothing,but when i came out and crunk her up there wasa lot of white smoke coming grom my cut-out and where the turbo meet the downpipe. We checked for blowby they didnt feel anything, so i took the turbo off the header and saw oil in the manifold so i thought bottom rebuild :cry: , but i cranked her with the turbo off and there was no smoke coming from the header, so the guy at the muffler shop said it is probably the oil seal on the turbo. He said take it easy all the way home. So i bolted it up and drove it easy all the way home. Do ya'll have any suggestions of what can be my problem could be. It goes trought oil like crazy now. thanks for ya'll help!
Andy

Well, first things first, compression test, and leak down test will tell u everything you need to know. It will at least tell you if you did anything to your bottom end from that boost spike.

good news guys, i just got through with a compression test and the result were 185-180-185-200, so from the result of this I am asuming that it is the oil seal in the turbo so I guess i will save up and send it off to get rebulit. Would that be the only reason it would just blow white smoke out of the exhaust when the turbo is hooked up? thanks again for ya'll's help.
Andy

Usually white smoke means headgasket, but your compression numbers are okay so I'd say rebuilld the turbo, or depending on the cost of that, look for a BB T3/T04E.

I think i will go the rebuild route, do ya'll have any reccommend shop who rebuilds turbochargers. The cheapest i have found so far is www.turbochargers.com for $275, and Forced Performance is $350. Do any of ya'll know any shop is cheaper? Thanks again for the help!
Andy

I got a summit racing 2 1/2 inch exhaust cut-out. For right now it is just the manual one where you take the plate off, but i hopefully plan on getting electric cut-out ( after i get this turbo rebuilt or a new is bought). It is night right now i will take some pics tomarrow after church. It sounds so nice!, i would drive it right now if it didnt burn so much oil. You feel and hear the turbo spool up quicker! :thumb:
Andy

This is the one i have. :dsm: :thumb: :dsm:

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_Picture 053.jpg
    Resized_Resized_Picture 053.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 218
My exhaust cut-out is black instead of the pretty one you got. I took off my cat and intalled it where the cat went and faced it towards the drivers side of the car. I will post some pics tomarrow of it. Good luck on your install and hopefully not boost spikes! :thumb:
Andy

her are some pictures of the exhaust cutout on the car. You can see where they put it where the cat was at and made some hangers to hang the new pipe on. They are alittle blurry sorry bout that i cant figure out how to use this digital camera right! :mad:
Andy

Attachments

• exhaust cut.JPG
    exhaust cut.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 210
  • exhaust cut2.JPG
    exhaust cut2.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 204
  • exhaust cut3.JPG
    exhaust cut3.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 210
How much do those electric exhaust cut-outs cost and where can I find one?

You can get everything from summit.org, the exhaust dump is like 27 dollars and the electric cut-out is aroung 189 dollars.
Andy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back