The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Need rear diff help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve92talon

Proven Member
Jul 3, 2019
Fernie, BC_Canada
My clutches smell horrible in my rear dif . I have a J1H 3.307 4 bolt axel and the spare diff my car came with is a B17 3.545 3 bolt axel. Can I swap them or am I screwed rebuilding the J1H diff. I have my car torn apart some speedy replies is much appreciated manual turbo 5 speed 92.

I may be wrong but I don't think DSM's came with clutches in the rear diff, only viscous couples. What makes you think it's the clutches. Have you check and or change the rear diff fluid?

The smell is horrible soon as I drained the fluid. Yes I serviced it about 10k ago with fresh fluid. I actually think I have a mismatched transmission, transfercase, rear end ratio making the rear burn itself up turning the wrong speed. My other transmission and transfer case have the smaller output shaft so I cant swap the good transfercase on this transmission.

Are you getting a burning smell when the diff is warmed up or something? Or the fluid just stinks?Gear oil smells terrible new, it smells even worse once it's used. It has sulphur in it.

Last edited:
IMO you burnt the VC. It's because you are using an auto 3.307 rear diff on a manual car, unless the rear diff ring gear has been swapped with the manual one.
I thought the vc was built into the transmission not the rear end?

IMO you burnt the VC. It's because you are using an auto 3.307 rear diff on a manual car, unless the rear diff ring gear has been swapped with the manual one.
Can I swap anything over from the 3 bolt rear end I have. I can see the axels are bigger on the 4 bolt so I can't put the 3 bolt in my car with 4 bolt axels.

I may be wrong but I don't think DSM's came with clutches in the rear diff, only viscous couples. What makes you think it's the clutches. Have you check and or change the rear diff fluid?
I was under the impression the viscous coupler was in the transmission between the transfer case output shaft and the front axel output. Under the side cover on the passenger side.
I thought the viscous coupler was built into the transmission under the side cover where the output shaft hooks up....???

AWD has a VC on the center diff. If you have a LSD then there's a VC in the rear diff too. Not all AWD have a LSD rear diff. The LSD rear was an option. If you've been running an auto diff on a manual I would be concerned on the condition of the center diff too.

AWD has a VC on the center diff. If you have a LSD then there's a VC in the rear diff too. Not all AWD have a LSD rear diff. The LSD rear was an option. If you've been running an auto diff on a manual I would be concerned on the condition of the center diff too.
Sorry I am new to all these terms and a rookie with dsm. When u say center diff u mean inside the transmission?

Well I have a spare center diff in the other trans. Do any parts interchange between the 3 bolt and 4 bolt. Like the gears to correct the ratio. I looked through this whole section I dident see what my correct rear gear is supposed to be for a 92 with a 91+ transmission. I read I can swap the output shaft to fit the 90 transfercase i have.

ring and pinion will swap over. i would defiently suggest you getting the auto ring and pinion out of there that is going to destroy things since youre a 5spd.

Well I have a spare center diff in the other trans. Do any parts interchange between the 3 bolt and 4 bolt. Like the gears to correct the ratio. I looked through this whole section I dident see what my correct rear gear is supposed to be for a 92 with a 91+ transmission. I read I can swap the output shaft to fit the 90 transfercase i have.
Probably just swapping the rear ring gear doesn't work for your case. because it seems you already destroyed something in the rear diff. Also you will need more work to swap the parts you need, like the process in the link I put above.
I think just look for a good manual 3.545 4 bolt rear diff or replace the rear end with your spare 3 bolt. That would be the easiest way for you..

The 3 bolt won't just bomt in though I will need the replace the axel hubs correct? I was thinking if I could swap in the guts of the 3 bolt to the 4 bolt maybe. But I know the bearings and axels are different sizes from doing some measuring. I will rip both diffs apart tonight see what I have and read that article in more detail

The 3 bolt won't just bomt in though I will need the replace the axel hubs correct? I was thinking if I could swap in the guts of the 3 bolt to the 4 bolt maybe. But I know the bearings and axels are different sizes from doing some measuring. I will rip both diffs apart tonight see what I have and read that article in more detail
wont be able to bolt the differential out of the 3 bolt in. theyre different. only thing that interchanges between 3 bolt and 4 bolt is the ring and pinion.

That's ok though my bearings spin smooth and if I just need to swap the gears and weld up the spider gears to be back on the road in awd bonus.

Rebuilt it with the right 3.545 gears with .004 backlash. Tomorrow I will bolt my car back together after I swap the output shaft and the center diff possibly from the 90 spare trans. Hopefully this will work for me to get back on the road. If the vc is smoked and it's just a open diff least it's still functional for now.

Attachments

• 15720477105406762342326456361055.jpg
    15720477105406762342326456361055.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
600km trip this weekend to go see my kid went very well. Checked my fluids after I got back and it's all looking great. Thanks for the tips and help getting my gearing fixed and back on the road I'm pretty sure both vc are toast from heat but that's for latter down the road. Maybe after winter is over and I can spend time with it off the road while I drive my cordoba.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back