The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

need opinions on engine options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarGuy420

Supporting Member
May 13, 2014
Taylors, South_Carolina
So I've done some searching and can't find what I need.
The motor in my 97 gst spyder has seized and I'm looking into building the block or getting a short block. I'm really interested in doing a 2.3l stroker but my car is completely stock. Just wondering if a stroker will work with stock bolt ons until I can upgrade the rest. I have big plans for the car. Eventual goal is 500+ awhp & ft lbs. I'm open to other suggestions. Only looking at building the block for now considering that's the only thing that needs any attention.
Thanks a bunch

Vince

Well I was looking at upgrading the turbo but just to a t28 for now. And was gonna get it tuned. I was just curious about the stroker. Like I said the motor needs to be replaced or rebuilt so that is where I'm starting. And I don't want to just keep it stock with my future goals for this car. Basically I don't wanna have to build it multiple times.

I plan on doing an awd 5 speed swap in the future. Or maybe start with that if I can find a donor car at a reasonable price. But only if it has a good motor also.

If I found a donor car for an awd swap with motor I wouldn't build a stroker yet. The whole thing with the stroker is if I rebuild the engine I have or get a short block. And I'm not following the upgrade path at this point because the car needs to run first. I just don't wanna rebuild this motor and later down the road have to do it again if I stroke it or whatever else maybe needed. I only wanna build it once and upgrade everything else as I go.

I should also add this is not a DD and can sit until I have the funds to upgrade further.

Your not going to be able to just throw in a stroker block without fuel mods / and a way to tune and its probably not going to go very well with a stock turbo either.
What kinda of fuel mods would you suggest? And what about a turbo?

You can put a 2.3L built motor in and keep everything else stock. It will work just fine. I dont see why it wouldnt. The idle might be a bit off but stock turbo,ecu,pump, injectors etc.. nothing bad will happen. You;ll just have a bit more off boost grunt.
When you have everything fully built and all the mods finished later on, the big torque wont matter cause you wont have one damn bit of traction if you're fwd! haha. Unless you have some big slicks up front.

You need to do plenty of research on the upgrade path. Plan on buying a bunch of stuff and getting link or a tuning solution would be top priority. That is, when you want to start modding and going for bigger power.
You can literally click on peoples car and see what mods they have. Its pretty easy to put together a setup that will make 500+whp. Just takes time and money but the answers are all there

You can put a 2.3L built motor in and keep everything else stock. It will work just fine. I dont see why it wouldnt. The idle might be a bit off but stock turbo,ecu,pump, injectors etc.. nothing bad will happen. You;ll just have a bit more off boost grunt.
When you have everything fully built and all the mods finished later on, the big torque wont matter cause you wont have one damn bit of traction if you're fwd! haha. Unless you have some big slicks up front.

You need to do plenty of research on the upgrade path. Plan on buying a bunch of stuff and getting link or a tuning solution would be top priority. That is, when you want to start modding and going for bigger power.
You can literally click on peoples car and see what mods they have. Its pretty easy to put together a setup that will make 500+whp. Just takes time and money but the answers are all there

That's what I thought. I'm not looking for huge power gains just yet. Mainly getting it back on the road but ready for big power upgrades. And until I'm able to do the awd swap I'll have a nice tire roaster! Haha!

The potential issue is with the extra ~20% displacement demanding more air. Since the stock fuel system won't support jack and the T25 already chokes up top on a 2.0L, your 2.3/2.4L could run into issues in those areas.

While I don't see that happening easily, I would still suggest building the entire setup along with the engine. You say you want to build it once? Then why even bother installing the stock T-Too-Slow turbo again. A proper stroker setup involves more than the block, it should always be planned from head to turbo.

If you want something that runs now and can be tinkered with as you go, I'd go with a good ol' 2-Liter...

The potential issue is with the extra ~20% displacement demanding more air. Since the stock fuel system won't support jack and the T25 already chokes up top on a 2.0L, your 2.3/2.4L could run into issues in those areas.

While I don't see that happening easily, I would still suggest building the entire setup along with the engine. You say you want to build it once? Then why even bother installing the stock T-Too-Slow turbo again. A proper stroker setup involves more than the block, it should always be planned from head to turbo.

If you want something that runs now and can be tinkered with as you go, I'd go with a good ol' 2-Liter...

With a stroker what fuel and turbo upgrades would you recommend? I know a t28 is a small step up from the t25 and I have access to one for cheap.

yea, wes is right. Thats why i said there could be potential idle problems. It sucks in more air per rev than a 2.0 obviously but not SO much more that the ecu couldnt compensate. Closed loop operation should be fine and wot on a stock turbo wont be off too bad either.

Upgrades? Need to do some research/ I would say off the top of my head a good dsm flanged turbo for a 2.3 would be a red or a black.
Cheaper and some may say better option is a hx40 w BEP bolt on housing. Fuel? Walbro 450 should get ya covered with some room to spare.
Injectors and afpr. Then wideband. dsmlink. mbc. exhaust. List goes on, and its alllllll on the forums.
You're going to get a wide variety of answers for what turbo you should run.
Also, are you planning on e85 or just pump piss?

yea, wes is right. Thats why i said there could be potential idle problems. It sucks in more air per rev than a 2.0 obviously but not SO much more that the ecu couldnt compensate. Closed loop operation should be fine and wot on a stock turbo wont be off too bad either.

Upgrades? Need to do some research/ I would say off the top of my head a good dsm flanged turbo for a 2.3 would be a red or a black.
Cheaper and some may say better option is a hx40 w BEP bolt on housing. Fuel? Walbro 450 should get ya covered with some room to spare.
Injectors and afpr. Then wideband. dsmlink. mbc. exhaust. List goes on, and its alllllll on the forums.
You're going to get a wide variety of answers for what turbo you should run.
Also, are you planning on e85 or just pump piss?

Eventually every aspect of this car will be covered. Like I said just starting with the block since that's what it needs at this point. And for now it will be on pump gas but would like to go to e85.

Eventually every aspect of this car will be covered. Like I said just starting with the block since that's what it needs at this point. And for now it will be on pump gas but would like to go to e85.

Okay well it sounds like your list should be

*have to buy* Engine
Ecmlink
1000cc+ injectors(or so depending on when you plan to go to e85 and which turbo)
Walbro 255 or 400 and FPR.

Money left over: Wideband, clutch, Turbo upgrade, Upgrade path.

HY35 would be awesome mid sized turbo.

thank you guys for all the info and help, will definatley use that in the future. I'm getting the 97 eagle talon tsi that is posted in the classifieds and will be doing a complete drivetrain swap. then after that and getting any/all the maintenance done will be following the upgrade paths.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back