The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

need opinions on cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boredog

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2008
wichita, Kansas
Im in the final stages of my project car and wanted to get everything right before my tune. I am able to get my hands on a HKS 264/272 combo for under 300. Ive spent quite a bit of money lately on all the mods i currently have and am running low on cash. I was wanting to know if its worth the money or if i should just keep my current setup and go in for my final tune.

Car: 2g gst
Goal: 300whp pump
Mods:
thermal exhaust
downpipe
sbr evo3 exhaust mani ported
small 16g
fp intake
fic 750cc
255 wally
aem wideband
dsmlink v2
boost controller/boost gauge

Now let me explain a lil about my power goal. This car is my DD and id like to keep it reliable and i dont plan to go to the track. I also based my goal on not having to bad of traction and do not want to have to buy an lsd. Now with the money it would cost to buy the cams and the springs I could put the money towards the tune and maybe upgrade to an e3 16g since the small came with the car it wouldnt be a loss.

any opinions or personal experience with upgrading to the hks cams would be helpful to me in my decission. thanks in advance.

I have an opinion based on experience, using a 20g. I think the same would go for a 16g too. I remember the feeling that I wasted my money on cams when I floored the car and it felt the same, until 4000 rpms, it pulled with a great sensation. The cams were 264in/272ex, one of the best street combos for a daily driver. My car is a GST too, wheel spin is not worse but highway rolls were in my favor at the same boost level. I picked up 47 whp, without a tune. The HKS cams are drop in and idle with a hint of lope. I also bought mine for $300. I would do it again too.

if your looking for fairly inexpensive decent cams check out dsmgraveyards house cams. they offer 264,272, or 274 regrinds all based off the hks grind. unless brand name is what you in it for i would looke around. i got my 274s for 100 off a friend but ik they are right around 200 or so new. you would gain more power with a evo 16g than cams with that small16g IMO

To be honest, you won't need anything more than stock cams to make three hundred. hell i made 388hp on stock cams. but i can't say that it won't help and the 272's are a good grind to make great power.

If your going for a 272 profile or 264 you cannot go wrong with the regrinds delta offers for the price.

If you want to go for more than the 272 has to offer you should be looking into kelfords or gsc s, personally I am looking into gsc s2. But with the latter profiles your gonna need upgraded springs where as the regrinds and hks s drop in.

I say go with it. If you have a chance to buy genuine HKS cams for $300, and they are in great condition, that is a steal. I am a big fan of the 264/272 combo of cams(then again I am an auto guy, for street use we love us some 264's), so I may be a little biased. ;)

To be honest, you won't need anything more than stock cams to make three hundred. hell i made 388hp on stock cams. but i can't say that it won't help and the 272's are a good grind to make great power.

This, stay stock - save the money for something you need.

the hks's will be fine for your goals. You might be tempted to lean towards BC if your tight on money, but stay away from them, they are nothing but problems. Many vendors will not even sell them anymore. ( My friends and i had four sets of cams that went bad, two of my own... ) Ide get the hks cams if you could get them for that cheep, its a good buy. If not ide wait and get a set of Kelford 272's im very happy with the set I have now, but they are pricey.

I don't like buying critical hard engine parts used. Pistons, rods, cams ect. Unless I am buying them from a friend, and or I know the history of where the parts came from, and weather or not that engine died of some catastrophic failure.

I've seen alot of sketchy cam lobes, scored and screwed up from trash, oil starvation, being left out/rust ect. Make sure if you really want these things you can see them first and examine closely.

Personally, I don't even know why people still do the 264/272 combo, it's not like the 272/272 is such an "agressive" setup, or can't be daily driven.

In my personal opinion, if you are short on cash, and your goal really is only 300hp, keep your money and your stock cams. Later when you get the money, spend a little extra on brand new camshafts, and you'll have the satisfaction and peace of mind that you aren't getting someone else's junk.

Stay stock as you don't need them. The money is best used elsewhere right now.

Are you doing a 420a turbo build or did you put the wrong vehicle in for your profile?

ffwd connection also sells regrinds. They have the same profiles as HKS just way better price. They call them DKS

Save the $300 or keep it for a good set of tires.

Thanks for all the replys guys. The reason i was looking at the hks 264/272 was from the stuff ive read and the tests ive looked at the hks tested the best, its a drop in cam, and it had better torque then the 272s. The 272s look like the kinda cams you would get if you were planning to go further that my planned power goal. I realize buying the right stuff the first time is right and being prepared for wanting more power is a good idea but if that does happen i dont plan to past the 350 mark. I will read more on the regrinds. Ive planned on the 300hp goal for awhile and wanted to get parts that all worked well with each other for that goal.
I wanted to get all parts purchased and put together b4 i get my tune so that i only have to do it once. Im dding the car right now on 10lbs with the exhaust,16g, and 255wally. Everything else is just sitting in a pile and i dont mind waiting to get everything and get it all put on and tuned at one time.

@LiQUiDx
The car in my profile is my old gs that i sold. Now i have a 97 gst. Guess ill update it.

thanks again guys :thumb:

I have had FP2s, HKS 272s and now GSC s1's and I love them...they work soo well with the 50 trim setup!!!!!!!

Pricey tho...

Im in the final stages of my project car and wanted to get everything right before my tune. I am able to get my hands on a HKS 264/272 combo for under 300. Ive spent quite a bit of money lately on all the mods i currently have and am running low on cash. I was wanting to know if its worth the money or if i should just keep my current setup and go in for my final tune.

Car: 2g gst
Goal: 300whp pump
Mods:
thermal exhaust
downpipe
sbr evo3 exhaust mani ported
small 16g
fp intake
fic 750cc
255 wally
aem wideband
dsmlink v2
boost controller/boost gauge

Now let me explain a lil about my power goal. This car is my DD and id like to keep it reliable and i dont plan to go to the track. I also based my goal on not having to bad of traction and do not want to have to buy an lsd. Now with the money it would cost to buy the cams and the springs I could put the money towards the tune and maybe upgrade to an e3 16g since the small came with the car it wouldnt be a loss.

any opinions or personal experience with upgrading to the hks cams would be helpful to me in my decission. thanks in advance.

your only trying to make 300whp?? i have 720 densos and wally 255 272 deltas vrspeed fmic evo 16g dsmlink v3 3in gm maft and my tuner said i would make 370-395 easy with a tune....correct me if im wrong

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back