The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G need new convertible top

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gEclips3

Proven Member
Aug 14, 2013
Lena, Europe
The top of my Spyder is leaky, and i need a new one.
Could i get any advice on where i can aquire one, website, vendors etc? There's no point in asking the brand dealership here in Norway, its cheaper to buy and identical car.

So any Spyder dudes here who can help med out?

Robbins Convertible tops are what I have used on my Camaro convertible in the past and they were identical to the original, so check out this link....I don't know what shipping might be since you are in Europe though.
https://www.robbinsautotopco.com/mitsubishi.php

I bought a whole assembly from Miller import parts, it had been replaced recently and was extremely simple to unbolt the whole unit as one and Install the next. Would highly recommend going this route.

I bought a whole assembly from Miller import parts, it had been replaced recently and was extremely simple to unbolt the whole unit as one and Install the next. Would highly recommend going this route.
But he is "across the pond", so shipping a entire assembly might be cost prohibitive.

I gotta agree that Miller Import Parts is the go to place for good used parts!
Performance Partout is also a very good and reliable source.

shipping isnt the biggest issue, its the weight of package wich determines the price. Miller Import doesnt respond to my inquiries anymore, so i dont know.
With that said, i want the convertible top to be brand new, so getting one from a partout isnt an option.
Thank you vm for the replies tho, im gonna take a look ;)

i got mine from autotopsdirect.com for $399. exact oem replacement, couldnt be happier. installed myself as well
Any experience before doing this? Mine could use a top. None of the local shops will install a provided top. They want you to buy from them and pay $2000 installed. :(

Any experience before doing this? Mine could use a top. None of the local shops will install a provided top. They want you to buy from them and pay $2000 installed. :(
Nope never done it before. If you have any mechanical skill you can do it yourself. It comes a Lil over sized so you'll have to trim it. Measure thrice cut once LOL

It's a full day job really, it's not rocket science but it takes a bit to wrap your head around what needs to be done, more intimidating than anything.
I recently did mine and the toughest thing to me was getting the rear bow centered with the top, the very last rear bow that tucks under the rear cover by the trunk lid.
The top I bought had marking lines to help line it up but it still takes time to figure out how to approach it.
If you have good sensibility you can work through it, it's not easy but it's not too bad, experience definitely would help no question about it, allot to be learned from doing your first install.
Can't remember who I got mine through but I think it was tops online, I bought it a long time before I actually installed it, like 10 years ago.

This is awesome. Its one of the things i really love about this site, your passion for the car and that's always someone who had done the job earlier and can come with advice.

However, i dont remember wich site i read this, but that a stapler gun was "mandatory" for an install.
So... its not simply removing the old top and sliding on the new one and make it fit, there are some customization to this it seems...

Does anyone wanna tell how and wich tools are needed for the job?

I used basic hand tools, a staple gun, self tapping screws for where you have to remove rivets and some 3m advesive spray
Oh... i also read that it followed intructions "manual" of some sort. Btw, did you buy the stayfast canvas or the twill vinyl at autotopsdirect? Any idea if its just a price or quality difference?
I also found another site called " convertibletopguys.com "... They also have the option to not have heated glass but just regular glass too.

Topsonline for us. I must have watched that YT video 7 times before I felt remote ready for the job. There are some pictures posted on our build thread.

Yes, staple gun, scissors, screw drivers and contact cement. Probably the best advice we got was to do the final pull taunt with the roof *slightly* open, so that when the new roof stretches, it won’t bag out in the back sections.

It was very satisfying to do it ourselves since you can closely inspect the health of all of the bows and hinge points. With basic mechanical skills, you can do this!

Good advice on the top stretching and leaving the top loose. ALSO, sit it out in the sun for a day, then latch it down tight. Thats what my convertible guy does. I use the factory canvas material for my IROC, they vinyl stuff is, well, cheap and cheap looking to me.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Question: Is your top just leaky...or do you REALLY need a new one (rips, tears, holes)? If your top is solid except for the leakyness and perhaps faded looks, you could do what I did and re-seal the inside. Loads less labor intensive!

If the outside is looking faded you can freshen that up with black plastidip...again, like I did. It lasted about 18 months on my top before I could tell it could use another spray.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back