1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Need new boost controller

Posted by Sam's GSX, Oct 7, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    Ok I've been having a bit of a headache with my Joe p inline boost controller, I just cant seem to have consistent boost controller, I was running around 18psi on a borg Warner s256 ett for a couple months now and wanted to go to about 20psi, so I turned it about half a turn, and retarded the timing 2* overall at wot to be safe. I ended up hitting 21psi with 0.7 knock retard in the middle, but then I did a second pull without stopping and it was only 18psi, I did a couple more pulls and it was mostly 18psi with one more 21psi hit. I tried going wot at 2500rpm and going wot when my turbo hits (4500) but it just seems random.
    this morning I took 1* away in the middle and added a few up top, but still got 18psi, so I turned the mbc about 1/8 of a turn, and on my first pull hit really high psi, I think 23 but it was very fast and my knock cel of 2* went off so I let off, i hit 6* of knock retard that pull and was running -1.3 timing, so i reverted a bunch of stuff back.
    I'm pretty sure it's the boost controller, I'm going to be getting meth in the near future and would like an electrical boost controller that is easy to set up a failsafe with, and would love suggestions on that.

Thanks so much and sorry for the long post

Street Build 218  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Hmm, it's difficult to understand what you're talking about. Do you have any logs? Your timing should have nothing to do with what boost you get, if that's what you're saying. I use the IR BCS that ecmlink sells and have been very happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and tk106 like this.
  3. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    +1 IR bcs.

125  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

123  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  4. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    I hadn't hear of that thanks, and I wasn't saying my timing had an effect on my boost, mostly just looking for suggestions on ebc, I have been looking into the aem tru boost, I'm mostly just looking for something that has a failsafe function, but I'll look more into the ecmlink option. Thanks

Street Build 218  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    You could go to a different Wastegate. I have a Kinagawa on one of my 16g's. None of that boost controller stuff.
    I do like the IR BCS that the guys are talking about, even though when I run a BC it's a MBC., Just a simple bleeder. Right now I am on gate and solid at 30, creep to 33 so I had to reset boost cut in Link, but I run an external gate, not the normal TD05 style setup, nor your typical motor setup either.

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

258  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

364  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 518  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  6. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    Oh, so a stiffer spring in my external wastegate, that's not a bad idea, I probably wouldn't be able to have a failsafe with meth if I did that, but it is an option if I can't figure it out

Street Build 218  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    I believe fuel cut at a designated boost pressure is the fail-safe with ecmlink using the IR bcs.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    Oh ok, I like the look of that, and it's much cheaper then aem tru boost, and when I'm talking about failsafe I'm saying when I'm running meth in the future, if someone goes wrong and the meth injection doesn't work, I'll be running 22ish psi and around 17* of timing, my engine cant take that without meth. So if I can set up a failsafe properly, my ebc will cut off and I'll be running spring pressure.

Street Build 218  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    Ok, I think I'll end up going with the tru boost after all, I wish I could use the ecmlink option.
    But if I get aem tru boost and arm meth kit, I basically connect the orange wire from the boost controller (boost scramble, it let's me set a duty cycle of my choice when the wire is grounded, which I will set to the lowest) to the green wire from the meth kit (boost safe mode, which grounds itself if something goes wrong like I'm out of meth)
    Thanks guys.

Street Build 218  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Vegas smith likes this.