The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Need MAJOR help with this loss of power/sputter problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
Im usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out but now Im at a loss.

My car will drive fine with normal cruising. If i get on it it gets to about 3k rpms in 3rd and feels like it hits a wall and wont accelerate. I replaced coils because AFRs were also spiking rich and they ohmd out just at the top of spec with no change.

I tried today on my way to work with turning OD off and shifting through the gears manually and it it fine in 1st to 6k and 2nd to 6k and then shift to D(3rd) and it did the same sputter until I got out of boost for cruising. AFRs stayed pretty in line so its not that its tuned going rich. It also just happened out of the blue with no tuning changes so Im positive its not my tune.

At this point Im clueless what it could be.. Im leaning towards a tranny issue but honestly am at a loss right now.

Does your check engine light come on then goes off once car is started? If not your check engine light bulb might need replacing because it sounds to me like it's the throttle position sensor. Could be a build up of carbon in number 2 o2 sensor

Does your check engine light come on then goes off once car is started? If not your check engine light bulb might need replacing because it sounds to me like it's the throttle position sensor. Could be a build up of carbon in number 2 o2 sensor
Light flashes on then off like it should. And i only have 1 o2 sensor.

I'm currently having the same issue with my car. It runs fine normally.I get on it it feels like It's just wasting time from 4500 to 6k rpm. it 6 know it feels like it won't go past that. Except I changed alot of stuff on the car car ran great just the way it is without the intake and fp exhaust mani. I'm on jackal though not link. Thought coils were the issue ordered a brand new coil pack. Still the same crap

I had splatter while in higher rpms and boost and fought it for 3-4 months only to have it be my 4 month old NGK plug wires. They were arcing on the hood but it didn't show up until under boost. I threw a set of no name wires on from one of my other cars and the problem went away so I ordered new (again) NGK wires and relocated my coil pack. Also make sure you separate the wires to eliminate cross talk. It was my problem all along, it may not be yours but I wanted to chime in since I was changing everything trying to figure it out. I am now running 30# of boost and not a bit of splatter. MTC

I had splatter while in higher rpms and boost and fought it for 3-4 months only to have it be my 4 month old NGK plug wires. They were arcing on the hood but it didn't show up until under boost. I threw a set of no name wires on from one of my other cars and the problem went away so I ordered new (again) NGK wires and relocated my coil pack. Also make sure you separate the wires to eliminate cross talk. It was my problem all along, it may not be yours but I wanted to chime in since I was changing everything trying to figure it out. I am now running 30# of boost and not a bit of splatter. MTC
I swapped out with a buddies COP setup to try it out... no help. I can rev the auto trans in 1st and second and 20psi but when i hit 3rd it craps out and no power at all. But i can crusise highway speeds no problem

Dam I was hoping it was just as simple as my problem, and I cussed and bought 2 of everything just to come to the conclusion of what my problem was. I am sure someone will chime in with some other idea's.
:(

Sounds like an ignition issue to me. 3rd gear means high load and therefore more work for the ignition system.

Could you list out your current ignition setup? Include plug brand, heat range and gap.

Also, I second that a log would help greatly. Post one up as soon as you can.

Sounds like an ignition issue to me. 3rd gear means high load and therefore more work for the ignition system.

Could you list out your current ignition setup? Include plug brand, heat range and gap.

Also, I second that a log would help greatly. Post one up as soon as you can.
Well i have tried stock coils with ngk wires and ngk8s, 7s and 6s and now i am borrowing a COP setup because i thought it was coils because they were at the top of ohm specs.

I currently have the 8s in because thats what ive used for a year now and had no issues until this started.

And i am gapped down to 25 currently trying to rule out blow out but didnt matter if 32, 28 or 25

How old are your plugs?

I don't bother with customer stuff anymore. Race car builds only. My friend relies on customers and can help you diagnose and repair it for a reasonable rate.

Contact Brandon. 303-710-1432

Tell him Steven sent you his way.

Went to do a log this morning and car downshifted in its own and i completely lost 2nd gear.. had to baby it home in 1st at 18mph... looks like its the trans

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back