The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

need input on DSMChips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nestamon99

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2004
Sunriver, Oregon
My brother and I have finally fixed all the little gremlins on his car and it runs great. One problem though, the car gets really lean on a 3rd gear pull. I had on 02 sensor problem but that was an easy fix, I just bought a new one. The motor has been completely rebuilt and new parts were installed.
hahn race craft 20g turbo
HRC 3"Down pipe and O2
3" cat
3" Apexi N1 exhaust
Fal fans
HKS 272 intake and exhaust cams
Hks Cam sprockets,
Evo3 550cc injectors
ported stock exhaust manifold
Ported stage 3 buschur head
shot peened and balanced rods
crank, flywhee, and clutch were balanced
9.5 J.E. pistons.
Nology hot wires

I might be missing some other stuff. Anyway, I was researching about Dsmchips and I know I want to get the stage3. I wanted to know a little more about a couple of things: 3-step stutter box and dead time compensation. I don't know how the 3 step would be benificial to my brother's car. He wants to drag race his car on the track every once in a while but for now he just wants to drive it. We are both new to dsm and although we have been working on his 91 eagle talon for 1year and 10months trying to get his motor ready. Slowly but surely we are pulling through. So...for future mods, we are getting walbro 190lph fuel pump, greddy/denso 720 injectors, super afc2, and dsmchip. This brings me to another question. What is the difference between ball disc injectors and non??? Advantages and disadvantages?? Finally.....overall how good is the stage 3 dsm chip??? Any do's and dont's???? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :talon: :talon:

one more thing....how good is the chip when it comes to compensating for 720 fuel injectors???

DSMlink does not come in different stages as far as I know. They have released two different versions of the same chip. The newest version (V2) has a ton of new functions to play around with. To learn more about dsmlink go to their website www.dsmlink.com.

Ive been very happy with my dsmlink V1. I have the option of upgrading to the v2 chip but I dont think I would really use any of the new functions. Either way, dsmlink is the best mod that I have done for my car...

As far as injectors go, my 680's work perfectly in conjunction with dsmlink. Once you get dead time and the global fuel adjustment set, the car idles and behaves just like it did with stock injectors. Ball disc injectors supposedly atomize the gasoline better then the pintle (sp?) style injectors. This means more complete combustion.

Try doing a search on these topics, there is a ton of information out there.

I have a dsmchips eprom and I love it. As far as the 3 step, get it. One step is the launch rpm, car sitting still and foot on the clutch. The next step is no lift to shift rpm, foot on the clutch and car rolling. The third step is just the max rev limiter, no clutch and full throttle. As far as rpm settings, get the launch rpm at 5-5500 rpm, no lift to shift at 5500 rpm and whatever you want the max rpm to be. I have my max set at 8250 rpm but you probably wont need it that high.

I am running 550cc injectors and the tune is great with them. You will need an afc to fine tune even with the chip. His tune is close but each car is different. Let Jeff know what your setup is and Im sure he can get the deadtime and other little tidbits where you need them.

With the big cams and big injectors, make sure you get the idle rpm reset to 950 instead of the stock 750. As far as the fuel pump, I would get the 255 with an afpr instead of the 190. You will be using big enough injectors to take advantage of the 255 but will be close to overworking the 190.

Ask KPT..... something or rather he knows everything. he can give you the heads up you need!

not to sound like a moron.....probably too late. Who is kpt?? Is he a member??? I am new to the site and although I have been here for a month, I still don't know names. Anyways, if you can help me out with that I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your info and input. We have spent a lot of money in this build up and I would hate to be the one who destroys the motor and that's why I am trying to learn as much as possible by asking questions. I am quite impressed with DSM....before I was just a cocky honda punk, but now I have respect for others cars. There's better technology out there than honda.

kpt4321 do a member search look in K and send him a message! He is one of the DSM Guru's in here.

Quit sucking up, bitches! :thumb:

Don't use nology hotwires. They have small capacitors in the spark plug wires, which charge up and then discharge at once, which is what causes the spark to look brighter. However, because of the fact that they charge and then discharge, they can actually cause a slight bit of timing retard, which you certainly do not want. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it was to the tune of 1-2 degrees.

I'll quote the top message and reply in pieces.

nestamon99 said:
My brother and I have finally fixed all the little gremlins on his car and it runs great. One problem though, the car gets really lean on a 3rd gear pull. I had on 02 sensor problem but that was an easy fix, I just bought a new one. The motor has been completely rebuilt and new parts were installed.

I think the EvoIII has 510 cc/min injectors, not 550's.

How do you know that the car is leaning out? It probably is, but I want to know what data you are gathering.

Do you have a datalogger?

550's are too small for a turbo of that size, and 510's aren't even close.

I might be missing some other stuff. Anyway, I was researching about Dsmchips and I know I want to get the stage3. I wanted to know a little more about a couple of things: 3-step stutter box and dead time compensation. I don't know how the 3 step would be benificial to my brother's car. He wants to drag race his car on the track every once in a while but for now he just wants to drive it.

Every time he drag races it, the 3-step will be helpful.

I use NLTS (no lift to shift) on the street fairly often, and I use the stutterbox periodically.

We are both new to dsm and although we have been working on his 91 eagle talon for 1year and 10months trying to get his motor ready. Slowly but surely we are pulling through. So...for future mods, we are getting walbro 190lph fuel pump, greddy/denso 720 injectors, super afc2, and dsmchip. This brings me to another question. What is the difference between ball disc injectors and non??? Advantages and disadvantages?? Finally.....overall how good is the stage 3 dsm chip??? Any do's and dont's???? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Are you on the stock fuel pump right now!? Get that thing out of there!!

What are you using to tune for the injectors you are running now?

The DSMChips.com chips are very good, you will like it.

Yes, I am former honda freak.....Honda was the first car I ever owned and like many of you guys, there comes a point when you wonder how much you can get out of your little car. I took it up-on my self to look in to the potential of my honda and before I knew I was looking for body kits and stuff. I always liked the bling bling but I knew it wasn't for me. About two and half years ago, my little bro was looking to buy a 3000gt but it was too much. I did my research and I quickly found out how much more you can get with dsm with less money than a honda. Thanks for the nology info....I had no idea they could cause a timing issues......So how do I know I am running too lean?? Well, I have a data logger and on a third gear pull my 02sensor reading stayed at .02 consistantly for the rest of the pull and injector psw was at 7.5 if I am not mistaking and went all the way up to 15 at one point. This car can move and i love it....I have a 90 eagle tsi of my own and I can't wait for it. So what made me not like hondas that much....simple.....ricers...ever since that movie fast and the furious every one thinks they can add 50horsepower.

Please try to break up your posts into paragraphs on each topic. It just makes everything a lot easier for those of us who answer the questions.

Don't tune based on the O2 voltage. If it is that low at WOT, you probably have a dead sensor.

If the car is knocking, then you may be lean.

A range of 7-15 for the pulsewidth is huge, we need a clearer datalog. Export it to text and only post the important sections.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back