The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Need info on what tune/dsmlink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon2gsx

Proven Member
Mar 1, 2016
Fontana, California
Hey guys. My names Brandon, I do a lot of research on here but not a lot of posting. I purchased a 95 gsx in March and in trying to get it up to par. The following mods are:
td05 18g, fic 650 injectors, aem fuel rail, vrsf fmic, black works radiator, ported exhaust manifold, srs 3" catback, dsmlink v3, Eprom ecu, autometer phantom boost gauge, Hallman boost controller, greddy turbo timer.

I just figured out how to run the dsmlink on my Mac computer and I've been messing around with logs. Now, I'm some what familiar with it but not too much. I did a 3rd gear pull and heres what I got. Need some opinions..
Rpm: 6684
Airflow: 249.0
Front o2: 0.98
Timing: 6.8
KnockRet: 8.4
ThrotPos: 73%
Didn't catch the afrs but normally I run around 10:5-11:0 at 16lbs of boost. The knock is what I'm worried about

Hey guys. My names Brandon, I do a lot of research on here but not a lot of posting. I purchased a 95 gsx in March and in trying to get it up to par. The following mods are:
td05 18g, fic 650 injectors, aem fuel rail, vrsf fmic, black works radiator, ported exhaust manifold, srs 3" catback, dsmlink v3, Eprom ecu, autometer phantom boost gauge, Hallman boost controller, greddy turbo timer.

I just figured out how to run the dsmlink on my Mac computer and I've been messing around with logs. Now, I'm some what familiar with it but not too much. I did a 3rd gear pull and heres what I got. Need some opinions..
Rpm: 6684
Airflow: 249.0
Front o2: 0.98
Timing: 6.8
KnockRet: 8.4
ThrotPos: 73%
Didn't catch the afrs but normally I run around 10:5-11:0 at 16lbs of boost. The knock is what I'm worried about
That's a ton of knock stop before you blow her up!!!

That's what I was thinking. How do I go about fixing it. A buddy of mine said to pull timing .5 at a time until it drops

Up until 4K rpms there's 0 knock. After that it increases.
4150-5200rpm: 1.2-2.1 deg
5300-5800rpm: 3.5 deg
5800-6250rpm: 4.2 deg
6300-6600rpm: 7.0 deg
6700rpm: 8.4 deg

I wouldn't waste time writing it if I knew how. Sorry though, let me see if I can.

That better? :hmm:

Attachments

• 2G.png
    2G.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 123
No, not better.

1) Go create a DSM profile: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/we...o-create-a-dsm-profile.499707/#post-153564173

2) Go square your car away and capture a log after it's mechanically sound:

Here's the format ---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/wa...r-receive-no-replies-from-the-wisemen.443297/

Here's an example of how to fill it out ---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/first-time-log-wisemen-just-look-away.495794/#post-153536533

Next, make sure you're capturing the correct values for the type of feedback you are seeking. See here for what values to capture ---> http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/list-of-values-to-log.444831/

3) Upload your log: Click upload file (next to orange "post reply" button below) --> navigate to log --> click "open"

See you in two weeks.

Driving with knock that much glad you sorting it should run a lot better after you reduce it. The boost gauge is so nice to see when you have knock

Up until 4K rpms there's 0 knock. After that it increases.
4150-5200rpm: 1.2-2.1 deg
5300-5800rpm: 3.5 deg
5800-6250rpm: 4.2 deg
6300-6600rpm: 7.0 deg
6700rpm: 8.4 deg
You will be sending this engine to motor heaven before you know it. You should have stopped when she hit 2.0 degrees or even a little less!!!!! But 8!!!!!!!!!!! Im surprised the motors still sound. Do what GST is telling you and don't/stop pushing the car like a madman before you get it properly tuned we want to see you happy and have her running right.

Last edited:
You need to turn the boost as low as it will go and start from there. I also suggest that you get on ecmlink forums and learn more about how to set up the base parameters and get familiar with the software before doing any more wot pulls. You are definitely, if you haven't already going to do damage to the headgasket or piston ringland.

I'm not too sure if this has to do with the knock but my idle was surging also. On startup it's fine, but after driving around a little and depress the clutch, the rpms drop to about 500-700 and the car just about dies on me. Battery is a week old, alternator tested fine, ISC tested fine and motor is good on it.

Update on the car: ended up getting everything sorted out. Had a variety of wiring that was replaced, sensors, gaskets, leaks, etc. Checked everything to be prepared for tuning and it was good to go. Long story short, my tuner was able to get my car running beautifully at just 17psi, until after one pull the car randomly died. Started it back up and what do you know, she has a knock :cry: has nothing to do with my tuner... Think it was just time for the motor to go. Unknown mileage from when I bought it, just wanted to get a good tune because the PO never did a thing to it after his mods. So the car was like absolute crap. So, now the 6 bolt comes sooner than planned :D thank you guys for your help also!

How did the tuner get rid of your knock before she went south? Just wondering if you knew?

Yep it bet it perked right up....and then..... sorry man. It can be fixed.

They're both good engines. I am glad that I got to start with a 6 bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back