The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Need Help with troubleshooting cranks, no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotrusty92

Probationary Member
Jun 2, 2003
Keystone, Colorado
I have a 1992 eagle talon 2 liter turbo and the the car will not start! the starter is fine and the engine does turn over, but i can't get any spark from the ignition system. the plugs are fine, but not spark to them. i read in my manual that it says that either the coil, the crank angle sensor, or the power transister is most likely the cause of the problem. also the alternator and the battery are fine, so i'm stumped. can someone please help me with my problem. thanks!

jared

i am going to pretend to be a moderator,

move your question to problem and diagnosis, don't you know we have different sections in this forum.

ok now that, that is out of the way. sorry had to get it out of my system i have been seeing it to much. also that was said with sarcasm.

if you believe what you read then use a multi meter to test the coil, not sure about the other sensors never did any research on them yet.

you can also check the power transistor with a voltmeter and a book to reference with. I had that problem once but it was because i didnt re-connect my power transistor all the way and it backed out a week later. check your sensor connections and that they infact do work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats how to test the coil pack (its from a 1G service manual)

Try these then come back....

1)Take a plug wire out, and put a spark plug in it, and then put it near metal and turn the car over?....spark or no? If not then it may be the coil pack, ecu, power transistor.

2)If that works, take the fuel line off of the fuel rail (from the filter to rail), then put a small bowl of something over the end of the line...use a loger to energize the fuel pump, or turn the car over, see is fuel comes out.

3)Check the grounds, and battery connections for loose, corrotion, broke lines.

4)If all of this is good, check the connector under the Thermostat, and make sure the temp connector is connected. If its not the injectors won't open = no start

5)Then if this is all fine, take the ecu out and smell it, if it smells like fish its gone, or open it to check for leaks.

6)Reach around and make sure the starter power, and ground are still hooked up, if they are take the starter out and test it with a battery. Could be the starter soleniod.

7)Check for huge vaccum leaks

8)Make sure the battery is even charged enough

9)Your plugs are probably fouled because of all the fuel you have dumped in turning it over, so change those, or clean them (if the car gets fuel)

10)Make sure all 4 spark plug wires are getting spark

11)CAm angle sensor could be off

12)Timing could be way off

13)Timing belt skipped a tooth or more

14)Check all the major connectors are still connected

15)Check fuse's and relays for blown ones

I can't think of anymore right now..

i tried to explane earlier that i'm not getting spark! that is the problem. i want some help narrowing down the causes! please help me with that, not throughout random ideas.

fuse box is fine! it's gotta be the coil, the crank angle sensor, or the power transister. or something else in the ignition system. thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back