The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need help with oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGen

Probationary Member
May 30, 2011
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I have a 92 eclipse 2.0 non turbo. The oil leak is coming from the block parallel to the timing cover below the coolant line. just above the alternator bracket. Its been there for a while and I'm sure its not the head gasket as I don't have any heating problems, smoke, or water in the oil. At first I thought it was the oil filter housing gasket but its right above it. this car is my daily driver and any help would be appreciated. in the picture where its zoomed in the leak is coming from the right side of the big bolt.where the dark metal meats the shiny part that i cleaned up.

Attachments

• 2012-10-23 16.59.28.jpg
    2012-10-23 16.59.28.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2012-10-23 16.59.28-1.jpg
    2012-10-23 16.59.28-1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 103
thats a oil pump gasket leak.. my 90 talon leaked there like crazy.. clean the area super well and i bet on a cold start up you will see it leak..
now the proper way to fix it would be pull the pump and everything eles..change gasket..

the way i did a temp fix. was clean it very very well brake clean, dawn dish soap more brake clean whip it down till it is spotless.
. then make up a batch of jb-quick and filled in the crack between the silver oil pump and block.. its total getto BUT it stopped a two quart a week leak for me!

i just did not have the time,money or skill to fix it proper then. so thats what i did.. and when i pulled the motor. two years later. it was very easy to get the jb off the pump.. your call

yeahi think im going to do the jb weld thing. You just really put my mind at ease. and YES it only leaks like nuts when the engine is running. Ive had this car for 3 years and have done all the work on it myself. Ill definitely do that once I get the alternator off so I can get a better hold on it. come tax time ill just pay a mechanic to replace the gasket. Just wonder how much it will cost.

algood man. a few side notes. have extra money if not already done.
For timing belt ,pullys, tentioner. water pump balance shaft delete kit a few quarts of oil,4-5 oil filter..antifreeze. razors and small scarper to get old oilpump gasket off... it has to ALL be gone or you will have leak problems...

ALL that stuff. has to come off, and should be replace..
also you cant get the front balance shaft out with block in car.. so your going to have to leave the shaft in and just remount the balance shaft pully after the pump goes back on..
get lower turbo drain gasket and oil pan gasket because they have to be removed also..... look around your area and find a dsm guru to help you. pay him well for his time.. BUT make sure he is not just bs ing you..on his skill level look at his ride see what he can do with these cars..

it is NOT a small job.. and anything that comes off should be replaced.. i even changed the oil pump gears when i did a mini rebuild on my talon.. and i have a VERY RELIABLE CAR.BECAUSE. I DONT CHEAPSKATE ON PARTS !!! I BUY THE BEST ONCE AND DONE! :thumb: there is a guy on here name ''buck mini rebuild''.. great rite up should read it when you have a chance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back