The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 2GNT Need Help with new Suspension Setup!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AI_Eclipse

20+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2003
Newmanstown, Pennsylvania
Alright here is my problem. Like an idiot i bought a set of Weapon-R Adjustable Coilovers on Ebay. They have been on for like 4 months. Needless to say that the stance is great, but of course the ride is $HIT! I bounce around like I have hydrolics, beside the fact that everytime I hit a bump I feel like my spine just snapped in half.

Now, what is the best setup for a 98 n/t? I was thinking of TEIN's SS Full Coilover. But I'll be paying through the nose. Which doesnt bother me too bad if its a worthy purchase. Or a Sprint Spring setup with Tokicos. I just want a good ride and decent stance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you wrapped stock springs with the e-Bay coil-overs, then that's the problem. Shock are twice as important as the springs when it comes to ride quality (and five times as important for handling). You might be able to recoup your losses by simply upgrading the shocks. This would be $600 instead of $1200. But make sure that the e-Bay sleeves will fit the new shocks or you else you'll be even more stuck.

- Jtoby

ps. that spine-snapper when you hit a bump is the car hitting the front bump-stops. Most e-Bay coil-overs come with springs with rates that are way too low for the amount of lowering the typical person wants to run.

yea i know the hard hits (spine snapper) are from hittin the front bump stops. I know all the problems with the coilovers now. The problem is that I didnt research it enough before i bought them. I was just curious if anyone had suggestions on how to fix the problem or the best setup there is out there.

p.s. I used the springs that came with the sleeves. They are tiny as hell. Which told me right away it would be a stiffer ride. I just didnt realize how short the shock tavel was going to suffer.

New springs can be had for $50 each, assuming the set-up you have accepts standard, 2.5" ID race-style springs. You can still upgrade the shocks (with nice, short Konis) and raise the spring rates, and keep the sleeves and collars, assuming they kit Konis. Now we're in the $800 range, but still lower than whole new coil-overs. Of course, most "real" coil-overs will perform better than Koni SAs, even with matched spring rates, so it might be better to bite the bullet and dump what you have. (And you can always sell them on e-Bay to someone who is like the old you! Maybe even for more than you paid, if you write the ad right. tee hee)

- Jtoby

that actually was the plan. go back to the stock springs for the winter while she sits in the garage (no snow for my baby). and sell the Weapon-R's on ebay. While saving up for the Teins over the winter.

It all works out on the end.
:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back