The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

need help with my gst!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLOL@Vtec

Probationary Member
Feb 19, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Hello everyone im new here and baught my first dsm. car has power issues and idle issues. when you start the car it jumps to 2k rpm and then drops down to the point were ot almost stalls out. Also on idle if you give it gas up to like 3k rpm black smoke comes out the exhaust. but when you put it in gear and drive it car wont go over 2500 rpm like at all and on idle it goes into any rpm. I just baught and cant figure out why its acting like this. if anyone can help ill really appreciate it thank you.

sounds to me like you have an intercooler hose/pipe that came off. check all intake for leaks first. do you have aftermarket intercooler?

our cars have the mass air flow sensor at the very beginning of the intake after the air filter (if you don't already know that), which means that in order for the air/fuel to be correct, all the air that the maf counts has to make it all the way through all of the intercooler piping/hoses without losing any. When you have a leak or a hose disconnected then your air/fuel is way off causing erratic idle and also makes it really hard to rev under a load.

I used to have a talon back in the day with a crazy universal fmic and the couplers would blow off all the time.... I could not drive it anywhere when that happened because it wouldn't get over 3k.

Yup blow off valve it cracked and intercooler piece the goes from intercooler to bov rig.ht underneath the air filter the rubber piece was just garbage. cant really do anything but get a fmic kit and also a bov thanx for the help

so installed some knockoff greddy bov for the meanwhile and a afr gauge and boost.
car still has a slight boost leak .but car idles at 1500 rpm and my afr gauge marks that it is running very lean. could the small boost leak cause these 2 issues?

you have to do boost leak and eliminate ANY leaks that you have ( btw its not that hard to do boost leak :) )

if you eliminate boost leaks go from there

alright now I have a issue and no idea how to fix the the speed sensor wires were a bit exposed and touched and the speedometer went insane jumping up and down and now I unplugged it and cover the wires with electrictral tape and now my speedometer isnt working I thought a fuse blew since they were touching and couldnt find anything and now im confused on how to fix it any suggestions?

I don't think you have a fuse for that. You might have to check the cluster for marks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back