The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Need help with missing reverse switch wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thakingcb7

Proven Member
Feb 8, 2015
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
Need help locating my reverse switch harness. I have the switch in the transmission but the plug and wires are completely missing. I'm about 2 month past inspection so I really need to get those sorted out. If someone could trace their harness to figure out where the wiring goes and should be that would be very helpful.

Based on your previous posts, I'm assuming this is for a 1G. The wires for the reverse switch come from the same part of the harness as the wires for the starter. The whole starter wire harness connects to the rest of the engine control harness with a 4-pin square connector (for manual transmissions): The 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness

Definitely for a 1g. I've tried locating the wires for months now. Figured I'd find something while swapping the transmission but nothing. I at least have a place to start looking now. Thank you.

Here's the whole starter harness. It shouldn't be that difficult to track it all down from there. As I linked previously, A-10 is the connection to the rest of the harness. B-23 is the reverse light switch connector.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
So I finally got a chance to trace the harness and found 2 cut wires. One red and the other red/blue. It looks like the right wire colors looking at your picture above. Now I just need to find a plug somewhere.

Sheridan is a wonderful place to get most of our connectors as i have bought quite a few for my 1990 Talon. I'm pretty sure that is the correct connector and here is a picture from my 1990 GSX that I just pulled the motor and tranny out of....they look the same to me
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Look at it from a different perspective, Leo. All 1990-1999 DSMs with a 4G63 or 4G37 engine use the same reverse lights switch, part number MD730979. ;)

We'll have @brads clear up that bit of confusion on the Sheridan site in no time, though.

I would say that proves they are the same indeed, doesn't it? In case it did sound otherwise, I just wasn't sure if it was the same since the description of that connector on Sheridan's wasn't including 1Gs and I did not have access to ASA when I posted to confirm it. At the same time I would have hated for the OP to rush and buy the connector only to find it wasn't the right one.

OHM Racing has been in contact with me in regards to the plug. They offer it in a pigtail for just a few $ more. I asked if it was the same between generations and they confirmed that not only is it the same but it's also the same plug for several other dsm sensors and whatnot.

It is the same plug. I don't have a list of ALL of the applications for each plug on the Sheridan Engineering website, but I am slowly updating them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back