The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

need help with lifters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95tsiawd0330

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2012
woodlyn, Pennsylvania
Hello dsmer's I just install a new set of kelford 272 cams.now I Read that before installing cams and timming belt you have to bleed the oil out of the lifters.So I bleed the oil from lifteirs installed New cam's set the timming mark then put everything back together.

Now the problem that I'm having is 3 of the lifters are NOT filling with oil when the motor is running
So what I tried to do was replace 3 of the lifter with 3 lifters that I know are good and I still get a nasty tick sound out of the 3.Has anyone ran into this problem before or can someone give me suggests that I can try ?

Hello dsmer's I just install a new set of kelford 272 cams.now I Read that before installing cams and timming belt you have to bleed the oil out of the lifters.So I bleed the oil from lifteirs installed New cam's set the timming mark then put everything back together.

Now the problem that I'm having is 3 of the lifters are NOT filling with oil when the motor is running
So what I tried to do was replace 3 of the lifter with 3 lifters that I know are good and I still get a nasty tick sound out of the 3.Has anyone ran into this problem before or can someone give me suggests that I can try ?

How long are you waiting? It took my brand new lifters probably 50 miles before all sound went away.

So I just ran into the same problem. Bought new set of Toplines off ebay, bled them down, pumped them up with new oil, bled down then installed. Drove about 300 miles waiting for the noise to stop. Removed each lifter and roller and inspected, found 3 suspect ones replaced them with ITW brand from Bruce at partsdinasoar and have driven about 50 miles and the ticking will not go away. My question is Topline a good brand, should I replace all the toplines with the ITW lifters or could it be something else? I would buy oem lifters but not at $43 each. Please help the ticking is driving me crazy!!!

What 3 are ticking? Intake side? Exhaust side? What number cylinder?

Remember, oil feeds to the head past the last exhaust stud, closest to the trans. then gets split to the HLAs at the reg that bolts on the top of the head. With #1 intake being the furthest from from the oil supply.

What oil pressure do you have at warm idle? and cruise at 70?

What 3 are ticking? Intake side? Exhaust side? What number cylinder?

Remember, oil feeds to the head past the last exhaust stud, closest to the trans. then gets split to the HLAs at the reg that bolts on the top of the head. With #1 intake being the furthest from from the oil supply.

What oil pressure do you have at warm idle? and cruise at 70?

oil pressure at idle is 15-20 and cruise at 70 is around 60-70ish. see pic for which 3 I swapped out. thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pair on the intake side may not be getting enough oil flow, they are the last in line for oil.

Has the head been surfaced? if so , How much? How deep is the oil transfer slot on the bottom of the head?

Also is this a 7 bolt head (11mm head studs) on a 6 bolt bottom end?

It looks like a 1g oil reg bolted to the head.

The pair on the intake side may not be getting enough oil flow, they are the last in line for oil.

Has the head been surfaced? if so , How much? How deep is the oil transfer slot on the bottom of the head?

Also is this a 7 bolt head (11mm head studs) on a 6 bolt bottom end?

It looks like a 1g oil reg bolted to the head.

Sorry I borrowed that pic. The motor was rebuilt about 14k ago and I am not sure if the head was surfaced and I dont know what the depth of the oil transfer slot either, I could pull the valve cover and measure it if I know where it is. It is a 7 bolt head and bottom. thanks again

Last edited:
That's wayyy too much money per lifter! I got the revised 3G lifters when i rebuilt my engine for $110 for all of them. It was worth every penny. Ticking stopped after a minute or two after initial start up. That's the route I would go. I'm not sure what lifters you have in the 2g's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back